project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
28 Nov 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2020-05-02, 16:46   #1
WingWalker
Default Why no love for CNC game mode?

Personally, I have only played CNC game mode once, and I had no idea what to do in it, and it seemed like no one else did.

I read the manual another time and it actually seems like it would be fun. Basically its a 2 way insurgency type mode if both sides were INS and could lay their own caches for the other side to find.

We play INS like Fallujha all the time, but never CNC.

You can even find the VW maps up, but never CNC.

Are we not playing this because of something not working, or is the community just ignorant of what it is?

More creativity in the rotations of what the servers play would be refreshing.

- W.W.
WingWalker is online now Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-02, 16:59   #2
axytho
Supporting Member
Default Re: Why no love for CNC game mode?

I think the problem is that nobody really knows what to do, so therefore no one runs it.

For example, mortars are not available in C&C, but nonetheless in the 2 C&C matches I have played both times there was a mortar which tried building a fob and therefore forced our team to defend some pretty indefensible places.

I would love to play it more though. Once the teams got used to the completely different strategy that C&C requires, it became a very tactical, "let's make every ticket count" kind of experience.
axytho is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-02, 17:07   #3
Wicca
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

When there is no clear objective, the player has no idea what to do. And just because the Squad-Leader or Commander does, there is no general impression to the regular player on what is going on, and how "well" they are doing.

I think that's frustrating for most players, or feels unsatisfactory in some way or even confusing.

AAS has a very clear route and objective for players. I think if you really want to mimic the kind of gameplay you actually want for CnC, then you just get multiple flags, and whichever team can build a FOB inside the radius of the flag, captures the flag. And all flags are cappable at any time.

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-02, 17:38   #4
WingWalker

I can see how not knowing you need to look for the FOB, or where to look, could lead players to mull around like cows.

Maybe the difference between INS and CnC is the player does not see a red diamond on their map telling them definitively they need to go to that area, like when a cache becomes known.

Usually when I'm getting bored on a server I'm looking for a change of pace, AAS is fun, but gets a little one dimensional with everyone moving in a straight line in order of the flags.

INS is a change of pace, but I find myself reacting to an INS map negatively when I'm looking for an upbeat.

W.W.
WingWalker is online now Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-02, 18:09   #5
[R-DEV]​Outlawz7
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicca View Post
When there is no clear objective
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWalker View Post
I can see how not knowing you need to look for the FOB, or where to look, could lead players to mull around like cows.

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-02, 20:41   #6
[R-DEV]​Suchar
PR:BF2 Developer
Project Reality Beta Tester

IMO the main issue is defending FOBs. No one want to sit for an hour without any/much action. It really depends on the players, gamemode is really well made but people would rather fight for flags than sit in the middle of nowhere with a crate as a 'backup FOB' squad waiting for the main FOB to go down. AAS has the same issue but it's less noticeable due to it's nature.

prta is known for his lack of "authority" on cheaters, your server your rules if you want to close an eye on him do so ~ A guy (who was proven to be a cheater next day) right after reporting another cheater

Suchar is online now Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-02, 22:21   #7
Wicca
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Make invasion game mode for CNC.

Just let one team make fobs, the other team has to hunt. Could work?

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-03, 17:27   #8
chilean

This was an issue seven years ago, and I can see it still is.... Personally I loved that game mode, but seriously the only time I manage to play a few decent rounds on that game mode was on events, in regular servers it never work and it ended up killing it or having to switch to the next map in the first 30 minutos of the round.

chilean is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-03, 20:01   #9
PatrickLA_CA
Supporting Member

For public serves the best bet is to get slightly organized teams with experienced SLs and a commander and a map that is not too open. But nowadays, the playerbase of PR is mostly made up of older players who should understand the game mode and it might be worth a shot trying out the mode. Maybe appeal to server admins to consider this when both teams are stacked.

In-game: Cobra-PR
PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-03, 21:01   #10
WingWalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickLA_CA View Post
But nowadays, the playerbase of PR is mostly made up of older players who should understand the game mode
It has always been a struggle between new players and experienced players. I've been around here since before 2007 and when CnC came out I didn't really care because I never heard about it or saw it.

Then one time it came up in a rotation and no one knew what to do. I'm pretty sure I've only seen CnC maybe 2 times, and I still haven't played it and knew what I was doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawz7 View Post
Most of the time I don't pay attention to the messages over the top of the screen while I'm trying to do something in a game. I try to ignore the chat too but its put right in your face while you're trying to look for the enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicca View Post
Make invasion game mode for CNC
I would agree.

CnC is really worth tweaking to try to make a popular alternative game mode.

I think there is just some small element missing.

W.W.
Last edited by WingWalker; 2020-05-03 at 21:10..