project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback
14 Nov 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Feedback Post your feedback on the current Project Reality release (including SinglePlayer).

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2016-10-08, 12:24   #1
matchbox20222
Default bad apples do spoil the bunch

Not trying to start a flame war, but I do really enjoy the realistic feel of this mod and kudos to the team for that.

However, recent events have caused me, a lowly noob, to decide to pack it in for good. The meat so to speak is good, but it needs more sauce badly.

I'm sure a lot of people can attest that there is a general cycle of players who should not be in such a serious role-playing game who come from a generation of quick FPS point and shooters. But it is in fact still a game...

I have had more than a few times where I've jumped on a game server only to be booted for whatever reason, such as not knowing the exact procedure for flying an aircraft....and I don't mean the in-game one. The one where only an elite few are allowed to attest their prowess in an asset. And for the love of god don't get shot down, because that will label you as wasting them.

For real......a video game guys? Now I know you try to take it somewhat seriously to put emphasis on teamwork, which is what a lot of us are drawn to, but to ban and kick players because another player tantrums enough about your lack of knowledge, microphone, or flat out just to get their way.....it makes you take a good second thought about who is actually running these servers, since the admins often do so of their own accord. I fly helicopters for a living....(but obviously practiced first on your mod, and a little more in real life)....and the amount of caustic behavior I experienced on your servers when I did so there was absolutely revolting. Getting shot down with no missile warning (and a fellow typed very blatantly, he crashed wasting assets) resulting in me being banned is ridiculous.

This is only one such event, others happen where for whatever reason you are banned, when you were trying to benefit the team and not yourself...as a "lowly noob", I guess we don't get the benefit of the doubt.

The community by and large is fine, but a few bad apples, moreso server admins / public moderators think that they are my real sergeant from when I myself went through basic. They act as though they have the keys to the throne and you better kiss their ass. Wow. A full fledged fuck you to those individuals. There's obviously something missing in your lives.

For a community which encourages teamwork, it certainly does a good job of not incorporating others into a team. The mod is good, but those who are being administrators, the framework of your networking structure... are not. Maybe I'm just old fashioned in wanting to treat people with respect.

This is simply feedback, and just like when I fill out a survey, I'm not coming back to argue. What I wrote is what I wrote where others can agree or not. I love the accuracy, the atmosphere, a lot of what this idea has is great and I couldn't applaude the hard work done to create it more, but your over-compensating administrators, moderators and occasionally players are incredibly toxic. It destroys what you work for, and turns away new be players who would keep the mod growing / alive in the future.
matchbox20222 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 13:00   #2
Filamu
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Filamu's Avatar
Default Re: bad apples do spoil the bunch

If you want to man a claimable asset (tanks, apcs, helicopters, planes ect.) you have to be in the sq named as such. Some times others are faster than you making such a squad, and you can either join them or do something else. This is to discourage 10 people standing in main rushing to be the first into the jet like in other battlefield games. If you were the first to make the CAS squad, you would have the right to control those assets for the rest of the game and all those "elite" players wouldn't.
People are sometimes way too quick to call out asset waste, but it is somewhat understandable seeing some of the horrible pilots flying around, who clearly need practice and considering these 1-3 players can make or break the game for all the other players on some maps.
And then you have some servers which many other players also have problems with the admins. There are nearly always some other servers you can join

I would recommend that you try out the infantry gameplay a little more as the asset game has some more drama, and you can learn the way the community works to a larger degree. Just remember there will always be bad rounds, but the good ones make up for it.
Filamu is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 13:20   #3
Geronimo
Default Re: bad apples do spoil the bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchbox20222 View Post
...
I'm sure a lot of people can attest that there is a general cycle of players who should not be in such a serious role-playing game who come from a generation of quick FPS point and shooters. But it is in fact still a game...
...
PR isn't that. Yes, it might be called Project Reality but realism- and gameplaywise it sits between Battlefield and Arma.

Regarding the other issues you had: If you followed all server rules (especially asset claiming and the do-not-learn-to-fly-here-rule) and you still got kicked, chances are high that the admin is simply retarded. Switch server.

And if all else fails there is still the PRT.

Geronimo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 13:54   #4
YAK-R
Project Reality Beta Tester
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

YAK-R's Avatar
Default Re: bad apples do spoil the bunch

I believe i was the banning admin in this case. (Saarema this morning on FCV)
To start with you were not in the trans squad. You were warned in chat and verbally to return the heli, you didn't. You flew it and lost it. This wasn't the first time you've done it either. It was a 3 hour temp ban.

This game has a very steep learning curve, flying a heli in real life is very clearly a different skill to flying a heli in PR. You need to practice, and you need to first understand how the game works, and the rules of server you're playing on. (every popular server has pretty much the same asset rules)

As someone suggested, start by playing infantry and getting a feel for the game and its rules.

Read the manual, join an infantry squad and tell them you're new.
YAK-R is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 20:26   #5
Web_cole
Supporting Member

Web_cole's Avatar
Send a message via MSN to Web_cole
Default Re: bad apples do spoil the bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchbox20222 View Post
lack of knowledge, microphone
First of all, you will get no sympathy from anyone on these forums for complaining about the need for a microphone. If you don't have a microphone you are barely playing PR. I was going to write this smart-ass comment about how I'd rather have someone in my squad playing with one hand than without a mic, but then I remembered when I started playing there was literally this American dude called One-Armed Wally who SL'd a bunch. And he was a legend (and had a mic). So yeah. Anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchbox20222 View Post
I have had more than a few times where I've jumped on a game server only to be booted for whatever reason, such as not knowing the exact procedure for flying an aircraft....and I don't mean the in-game one. The one where only an elite few are allowed to attest their prowess in an asset. And for the love of god don't get shot down, because that will label you as wasting them.
The thing about vehicles in PR is they have a disproportionate impact on the game-state. Two guys in an attack helicopter can equal or better the contribution of an 8 man Infantry squad. The difference being if those 8 guys die they respawn and go back to whatever it was they were doing. If that attack helicopter dies, it stops being a piece on the game board for XX mins, and its lack is often sorely felt. Even more so if it is "wasted", i.e crashes on take-off. In other words the mis-use of a vehicle ruins the gameplay for everyone else, and thus its usage tends to be heavily policed by the server admins.

This doesn't mean you haven't come across heavy-handed admins, mind, unfortunately such people do exist. But you would probably have better recourse towards defending and/or explaining yourself if you learn the game from the ground up as an Infantryman, and practice your flying on co-op or local servers in the meantime.

Web_cole is offline
Last edited by Web_cole; 2016-10-15 at 18:14..
Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-09, 09:19   #6
Kavelenko
Supporting Member

Kavelenko's Avatar
Default Re: bad apples do spoil the bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchbox20222 View Post
For a community which encourages teamwork, it certainly does a good job of not incorporating others into a team. The mod is good, but those who are being administrators, the framework of your networking structure... are not. Maybe I'm just old fashioned in wanting to treat people with respect.
Mate you're not the first to have this happen to them just don't take it personally. Keep playing the game and learn the ropes from players who have been around PR longer than you. There are plenty of good players who will give you advice on how to behave according to a server's in house rules.

The first place I would start is the PR manual, then read the server rules if they have any, most have a website linked to the server where you can get specifics regarding what you can or cannot do. The other thing is to let the squad leader know you are a new player, most will tolerate a few mishaps, but good communication is the key, so make sure you have a working mic.

Its a great game once you get entrenched with the server's community.

cheers,

Dont give up!

Kavelenko
Kavelenko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-14, 19:31   #7
Carl Weathers
Default Re: bad apples do spoil the bunch

OP, read all the replies because they are all correct. Also, If you were in fact taking a trans chopper without belonging to the trans squad and not returning it immediately when instructed, then you need to accept the fact that you were wrong. If you can't accept it then I personally don't want you in the game because you're just gonna be one of those guys who thinks everyone is wrong but you.

You're wrong. Accept it, learn from it and do better next match. If you need help flying choppers, feel free to join my trans squad.

Btw I was in the military too. I'd expect a little more personal accountability from you if you were in fact in the service.
Carl Weathers is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-15, 16:21   #8
viirusiiseli
Banned
Default Re: bad apples do spoil the bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchbox20222 View Post
a serious role-playing game
This is where you went wrong.
viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-15, 16:54   #9
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
PR:BF2 Developer
PR Server License Administrator
Default Re: bad apples do spoil the bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchbox20222 View Post
microphone
Opinion discarded.
AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-16, 13:06   #10
Sgt.BountyOrig

Sgt.BountyOrig's Avatar
Default Re: bad apples do spoil the bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchbox20222 View Post
players are incredibly toxic.
Do you have a women's studies course to be getting back to?

If you don't meet the minimum requirements to be a player in PR, then no. Nobody wants anything to do with you. It's up to you to get it together.

[NO] Bounty
Sgt.BountyOrig is offline Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
apples, asset steal, bad, bunch, poxo is ghey, spoil
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:21.