project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
23 Jan 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2010-12-10, 16:09   #11
Bluedrake42
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: Progress on Voice Tutorials

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickLA_CA View Post
It's gonna be very very helpful for new players but will there be a disable button? Because it would make the experienced players go nuts.
Yessir, the plan is to most definitely have a disable button

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunem666 View Post
most of these wont work unless you make new triggers also. have tried before to change them for my own mod. you can replace this tooltip voice with animations on screen to help along, this would be more suitable?
Yeah check the post, the majority of these tool tips will be Dialogue boxes, for many reasons. First of all it'll be less distracting while in the battlefield, and secondly for a lot of them there's Key referencing, which will change depending on your control layout.

Also I'm thinking about simplifying a lot of the dialogue boxes.
Like instead of... this is a wrench, it does this this and this, do this to use it.
I might just put "Left Mouse Trigger" - Repair Light Vehicles, Remove Mines
Bluedrake42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 16:17   #12
MCI

Ask R-Dev Afterdune to do the voices :P

MCI is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 16:19   #13
Elektro

Just make sure it doesn't explain things that are too complicated as it gets wierd. A simple:

Quote:
Join a squad and ask for further instructions from your squad leader, if he isn't doing his job try joining another squad.
Would do it.

Elektro is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 19:25   #14
Bluedrake42
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCI View Post
Ask R-Dev Afterdune to do the voices :P
Does he record?
Old 2010-12-10, 19:26   #15
Bluedrake42
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektro View Post
Just make sure it doesn't explain things that are too complicated as it gets wierd. A simple:

Would do it.
I think I'm gonna let people figure that kindof stuff out themselves, I'm not gonna be outlining every single aspect of the game. Just the basics.
Old 2010-12-11, 00:44   #16
Arnoldio
Banned

AfterDune has that trailerguy-ish voice, perfec for this lol.
Arnoldio is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 02:33   #17
Shovel
Supporting Member

Great idea, I love your anti-noob crusade!

Shovel009
Shovel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-12, 06:49   #18
Bluedrake42
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChizNizzle View Post
AfterDune has that trailerguy-ish voice, perfec for this lol.
but who's gonna record it?
Old 2010-12-12, 07:21   #19
Dev1200

Great work!

You may want to add a few more things in, such as info for deviation, having a "gunner" for tanks, helis, etc.

Dev1200 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-12, 08:08   #20
dtacs
Supporting Member

For the past few days I've been playing BF2 and listening to the voice tips, and one thing that I noticed is that they need to be catchy, as I could recite EVERY single one, word for word when it came up. Stuff like this:

You have been wounded! Seek medical attention as soon as possible! Apply your "Field Dressing" bandage to help stem the bleeding!

Could be shortened to something like:

Quote:
'You have been wounded and need medical attention as soon as possible. To use your field dressing, press the field dressing button. [Default 9]'
The BF2 ones did the same, by having the little text bit up the top come up as (default 9) as opposed to saying the button, since often people change them and it can become confusing.

Also, 'incendiaries' is a bit confusing as well, remember these should be aiming to the person who has never played PR or BF2 even. 'Use C4 or incendiary grenades to destroy it' would be a better option.

While these do destroy the immersion factor somewhat, vague and cryptic language can really confuse new players. Be as direct an unrealistic as possible to ensure they know what the tip is telling them.

Quote:
The radio is used to report hostile contacts to the rest of the team. They can also be used by squad leaders to request support from other units, and to place deployable structures. Hit "Right Mouse Trigger" to activate the radio, then hit "T" to bring up the radio options in the Squad Leader Comma Rose interface.
Could simply become:

Quote:
The radio is used to spot contacts for the team, deploy structures, and request support.
Hit "Right Mouse Trigger" to activate the radio, then hit the alternate commo rose button [Default T]
Just my thoughts on it.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
progress, tutorials, voice