project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
21 Jan 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2017-02-13, 20:10   #31
MOSES!
Default Re: Opinion of all of you...

that's a good way of telling things flyingr
MOSES! is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-14, 01:37   #32
communistman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingR View Post
You guys are over-complicating things, there's a chain of command where the squad members follow the orders of the SL and the SL should follow the order of the Commander. That is how it works, the Commander should give intel and tell SLs what to do with organization and cooperation.

Sure, SLs could give ideas but it would be up to the Commander to accept or reject. If the Commander tells you to build a fob in A1 or defend a flag, just fucking do it.
In the actual military, yeah that's how it works. But PR is a video game available to anyone with half a brain and a computer from 2005. There's no guarantee that the person who takes that slot is experienced, skilled, or even reasonable. Squad leaders play to have fun just like everyone else, and face enough stress keeping their squads in order as it is. Most decent squad leaders aren't willing to subject themselves to the half-baked plans of whomever hit the 'apply' button.

What you describe is only possible when a known and respected player familiar to the SLs takes the helm. Their authority comes from their reputation and skill, not the title of the position they occupy.
communistman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-14, 11:03   #33
bahiakof

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFG View Post
I don't think the solution to the commander being underplayed is to make it a field commander.

Making the commander more involved in the overall battle, thus increasing the "fun" factor to commanders.
I always play as commander, and it is not an easy task, because few leaders trust someone who is 1km away giving orders.

But I realized that when I am with the troops on the field fighting, using the Universal Rally Point most people follow what I ask. So the solution to make the commander more "attractive," is to turn him into a Lieutenant-Colonel (Superior officer with combat skills similar to Squad Leaders).

OFFTOPIC: I also suggest that remove the UAV from Project Reality, and in place put a reconnaissance aircraft (light helicopters), so the responsibility for aerial reconnaissance is for the CAS squad.

Commander Generals in Project Reality is utopia, it does not work.

Last edited by bahiakof; 2017-02-14 at 11:19..
Old 2017-02-14, 18:38   #34
FlyingR

Quote:
Originally Posted by communistman View Post
-snip-
I agree with you, the thing is that if the SLs expect their squad members to behave and/or follow orders then they shouldn't be hypocritical and follow what the commander says.

Everyone was a first to everything, we have to give a chance to everyone who tries to command or squad lead, it's a matter of trust and respect. If they fuck up then we should tell them and if they are fucking or trolling around we get rid of them.

Of course this won't happen because many vets think they are famous or amazing in PR so they will do keep doing whatever they want.

Anyways, still support OP's original idea with the icons and hope it actually happens!
FlyingR is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-16, 01:11   #35
communistman

Quote:
I agree with you, the thing is that if the SLs expect their squad members to behave and/or follow orders then they shouldn't be hypocritical and follow what the commander says.
I totally get where you're coming from. The reality is that the game doesn't work at all without squads. Period. Players must collaborate on at least the tactical scale to get anything done. As the game mechanics stand, the commander is not essential to the game working since squad leaders can handle the strategic layer by communicating amongst themselves, or adapting to battlefield events just by checking the map and using intuition.

This doesn't mean that the commander role should be ignored. It means the game mechanics ought to change so that commanders are as crucial as squad leaders. Not easy to do without opening the door to abuse or exploitative behavior.
communistman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-16, 03:25   #36
Michael_Denmark

For that type of commander style, your work is a great addition. Good stuff.

Define irony. A bunch of guys playing PR year after year. A game teaching initiative as the prime mover.
However, in regard to EA, these guys never took the initiative.
We who play these kinds of games are the first generation of war robot pilots.Today we pilot a camera in 3D heaven,Tomorrow... http://gametactic.org/pr
Michael_Denmark is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-17, 19:18   #37
Wing Walker

Personally, I would like to see a "Commander Kit" which would have certain things and just a pistol, that also once taken would prevent you from taking or picking up any other kit.

So the role would actually be a commitment, not just someone taking it for a minute because they need something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by communistman View Post
I'm just riff'n off the dome here--what if the commander had to be voted in by the majority of his team?
That is a good idea, and would make more sense to be apart of PR than having a mutiny vote, a positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raklodder View Post
You know there will be drama when the Commander starts kicking squad leaders.
Well, there is drama when the admin kicks people.

If a commander could be voted in, and then have to ability to kick, or break up squads (maybe more appropriate), then there would be a reason to listen to the commands, which right now are just chat spam.

Then you would at least have a popular player, maybe even the better player on, and he would actually be able to direct the other players, not just chat spam and drop markers.

But this is getting into my personal PR-Christmas list...

Quote:
You guys are over-complicating things, there's a chain of command where the squad members follow the orders of the SL and the SL should follow the order of the Commander. That is how it works
Thats not how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOSES! View Post
The commander must motivate the team for moral not just use him for his abilitys alone
Nobody really cares what a commander chat spams.
Last edited by Wing Walker; 2017-02-17 at 19:24..
Old 2017-02-17, 20:05   #38
bahiakof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Walker View Post
Personally, I would like to see a "Commander Kit" which would have certain things and just a pistol, that also once taken would prevent you from taking or picking up any other kit.
OFFTOPIC: I believe the Generals function in Project Reality does not work. The best players prefer to fight and lead, and not get stuck in the base giving orders. On the servers have many good squad leader and no commander, for being a utopian function.

Want to have good commanders? So change this current idea to something that pleases combat leaders. A combatant commander is more attractive.

bahiakof is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-19, 12:40   #39
[FIN]TJ

In addition to field commanders, the FCV´s could be taken in to the action. Maybe give it a function to set up fobs too.
[FIN]TJ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-19, 20:20   #40
Michael_Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahiakof View Post
OFFTOPIC: I believe the Generals function in Project Reality does not work. The best players prefer to fight and lead, and not get stuck in the base giving orders. On the servers have many good squad leader and no commander, for being a utopian function.

Want to have good commanders? So change this current idea to something that pleases combat leaders. A combatant commander is more attractive.
In my experience the best solution is to please both the base and front type of commander. Your contribution to the CO screen, primarily pleases the base type, which is great.

Quote:
I believe the Generals function in Project Reality does not work.
Well, surely it can improve, but in overall it does work. The problem with the commander function, is the overwhelming learning curve.

Quote:
The best players prefer to fight and lead, and not get stuck in the base giving orders.
The best players can be found both at and behind the front line. It is a matter of style.

Even the best squad leader can never replace the potential the commander function has embedded. Which is also why we have the CO function as an optional part of the game.

Learning curve, learning curve and learning curve. That is the problem...and perhaps also the solution?

Define irony. A bunch of guys playing PR year after year. A game teaching initiative as the prime mover.
However, in regard to EA, these guys never took the initiative.
We who play these kinds of games are the first generation of war robot pilots.Today we pilot a camera in 3D heaven,Tomorrow... http://gametactic.org/pr
Michael_Denmark is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
opinion