project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
22 Sep 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2017, 06:46 AM   #1
Bluedrake42
Supporting Member

Default "LBRY.io" An attempt to create a decentralized Youtube.

*NERD ALERT WARNING*

I wanted to make this thread because this is an interesting technology that I think many people from this community will have proper insight into. A potentially disruptive technology that could change content distribution in many ways similar to Napster or BitTorrent.

Or maybe not, but fuck it Trump is President and BitCoin is at 5000$ USD. Anything could happen.

https://lbry.io/

About a year ago, I went on this crusade to learn more about content distribution systems and how they work... specifically to undermine Youtube's (and other platforms') influence over my own independent business.

Had conference calls with a lot of people, and discussed ideas with a lot of different platforms including IPFS, Akamai (previously powering Twitch,) AWS (currently powering Vid.me,) and WebTorrent.

But I had one really interesting phone call with Jeremy Kauffman and Reilly Smith about a year ago discussing an entirely new theory for content decentralization powered by blockchain technology, which is the same system that powers cryptocurrency such as BitCoin.

https://lbry.io/get

This is the current client for the public beta that just released, and is the first practical prototype for blockchain technology weaponized for proper video content distribution.

Here is an example of a PROTOTYPE HTML EMBEDDING PORTAL for the blockchain hosted content, built upon the core LBRY system as an open source web-based extension.

I've experimented with a wide variety of solutions while pursuing a properly decentralized content distribution network, and LBRY is the most promising solution I've found so far. I've hosted my own tiny content distribution network, I've rented white-label content distribution solutions from providers such as Akamai, and I've experimented with dynamic torrent-based solutions such as WebTorrent and IPFS.

However I think LBRY could be the first genuinely practical solutions to the CDN conglomerate issue. So if you're interested in it, give it a poke-around and let me know your thoughts.

Bluedrake42 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
attempt, create, decentralized, lbryio, youtube