project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support
26 Nov 2022, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2020-04-18, 08:04   #1
ron366
Default About Anti-Aliasing and game options

Hey, I don't have much tech knowledge, and I have a few questions:
1. In my launcher options I saw anti-aliasing is off, I used google to check what it means
but still have no idea if I should turn it On or Off in my specific computer, and if On, should it be 2x/4x/8x?
I have a nice computer (2 years old) and it's:
Intel Core i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 630
Anyway, I run all options at highest, so should it be off/2x/4x/8x?

2. On the Launcher Options>Video, the Graphics Quality are set to "High", and after that there's "Custom", what's the difference?
I aim for the best total quality possible (ofcourse)
Thanks in advance.
ron366 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-18, 10:13   #2
[R-CON]​ALADE3N
PR:BF2 Contributor
Project Reality Beta Tester
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: About Anti-Aliasing and game options

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron366 View Post
Hey, I don't have much tech knowledge, and I have a few questions:
1. In my launcher options I saw anti-aliasing is off, I used google to check what it means
but still have no idea if I should turn it On or Off in my specific computer, and if On, should it be 2x/4x/8x?
I have a nice computer (2 years old) and it's:
Intel Core i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 630
Anyway, I run all options at highest, so should it be off/2x/4x/8x?

2. On the Launcher Options>Video, the Graphics Quality are set to "High", and after that there's "Custom", what's the difference?
I aim for the best total quality possible (ofcourse)
Thanks in advance.
usually you turn on AA to get rid of rugged edges of the game structures , weapons , vehicles and vegetations, when you play with those being off , you will see some nasty looking models ingame specially the trees and undergrowths(flowers , grass , etc.)

ALADE3N is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-18, 17:39   #3
SemlerPDX

The way to tell which setting is right for you and your system is to try them out... First, try one with it off, then run the game and note the FPS with a counter (FRAPS, RivaTuner Statistics Server, etc.), which of course counts the number of individual "frames" or images that are displayed to the PC monitor screen every second, to create the illusion of a moving image.

Then close it down and start up again with a different setting (x2,x4,x6/... You'll notice the FPS drop, but the level of jagged lines on objects diminish.

Most players shoot for at least 30-45FPS for PC gaming, understanding that the lowest FPS scenarios happen in high-action or graphically intensive scenes such as explosions or effect, and pushing for the highest "low" FPS is essential to fine tuning your experience.

Using the IGP on that Intel CPU will limit what you can do and how far you can push graphics in PR, but you should still be able to experience some decent gameplay given that PR is based on an older game engine.

When it comes to Anti-Aliasing, the concept is to smooth out jagged lines by applying a method specific to the type of AA, up to a certain number of times, before sending that image to the screen (and then doing that for every still image that makes up what we see as a moving 3D game). The more times you send it through that process, the better it may look overall, but the drawback is slowing down the speed those individual "frames" are sent to the PC monitor.

The faster the hardware, the less impact high settings will have on frame delivery.

It's a trick to allow lower resolution PC monitors to display a higher quality image by processing each frame. The higher the monitor resolution, the less this feature is needed or desirable for smooth, straight lines. Would possibly be pointless to run x8 AA on a 4K PC gaming monitor,from what I read... I'm still using a 24" 1080p at 144Hz for a maximum true FPS of 144.

SemlerPDX is online now Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-02, 07:24   #4
akilmaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemlerPDX View Post
The way to tell which setting is right for you and your system is to try them out... First, try one with it off, then run the game and note the FPS with a counter (FRAPS, RivaTuner Statistics Server, etc.), which of course counts the number of individual "frames" or images that are displayed to the PC monitor screen every second, to create the illusion of a moving image.

It's a trick to allow lower resolution PC monitors to display a higher quality image by processing each frame. The higher the monitor resolution, the less this feature is needed or desirable for smooth, straight lines. Would possibly be pointless to run x8 AA on a 4K PC gaming monitor,from what I read... I'm still using a 24" 1080p at 144Hz for a maximum true FPS of 144.

Hi,

Can you share your current graphics settings? Including Nvidia Control Panel and other settings like Inspector sweetfx etc.

Plus,

Do you recommend turning off/lowering any setting that does not affect the quality and just a FPS killer?

Thanks in advance
akilmaf is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-02, 11:34   #5
Danesh_italiano
Supporting Member

With Intel HD Graphics 630, you should play on low and with Anti-Aliasing off as effect is forced to High (that makes gpu 100% when rendering smoke from smoke/muzzle flash/dust).

I only know that I know nothing. Só sei que nada sei. Sólo sé que no sé nada. So solo di non sapere nulla. Tantum scio me nihil scire. Je sais seulement que je ne sais rien. Tiedän vain, etten tiedä mitään. Ich weiss nur dass ich nichts weiss. Ek weet net dat ek niks weet nie. Wiem tylko, ?e nic nie wiem. Heoi ko ahau anake e mohio ana kahore au e mohio. Ngiyazi kuphela ukuthi angazi lutho.
Danesh_italiano is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-05, 09:17   #6
henny12

Quote:
The way to tell which setting is right for you and your system is to try them out... First, try one with it off, then run the game and note the FPS with a counter (FRAPS, RivaTuner Statistics Server, wordle 2 etc.), which of course counts the number of individual "frames" or images that are displayed to the PC monitor screen every second, to create the illusion of a moving image.

Then close it down and start up again with a different setting (x2,x4,x6/... You'll notice the FPS drop, but the level of jagged lines on objects diminish.

Most players shoot for at least 30-45FPS for PC gaming, understanding that the lowest FPS scenarios happen in high-action or graphically intensive scenes such as explosions or effect, and pushing for the highest "low" FPS is essential to fine tuning your experience.

Using the IGP on that Intel CPU will limit what you can do and how far you can push graphics in PR, but you should still be able to experience some decent gameplay given that PR is based on an older game engine.

When it comes to Anti-Aliasing, the concept is to smooth out jagged lines by applying a method specific to the type of AA, up to a certain number of times, before sending that image to the screen (and then doing that for every still image that makes up what we see as a moving 3D game). The more times you send it through that process, the better it may look overall, but the drawback is slowing down the speed those individual "frames" are sent to the PC monitor.

The faster the hardware, the less impact high settings will have on frame delivery.

When playing without turning on AA, you will notice certain ugly-looking models in-game, especially the trees and undergrowths. Normally, you switch on AA to remove the rough edges of the game's structures, weaponry, vehicles, and vegetations.
henny12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-05, 16:47   #7
SemlerPDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by henny12 View Post
When playing without turning on AA, you will notice certain ugly-looking models in-game, especially the trees and undergrowths. Normally, you switch on AA to remove the rough edges of the game's structures, weaponry, vehicles, and vegetations.
Was there something about my reply two years ago that you felt required clarification just now? You seem to have pretty much stated the same thing...

Quote:
When it comes to Anti-Aliasing, the concept is to smooth out jagged lines...

EDIT:
Since this thread is already necro'd back from the dead anyway, I'll briefly answer this reply in case others were wondering what that answer would have been...
Quote:
Originally Posted by akilmaf View Post
Hi,

Can you share your current graphics settings? Including Nvidia Control Panel and other settings like Inspector sweetfx etc.

Plus,

Do you recommend turning off/lowering any setting that does not affect the quality and just a FPS killer?

Thanks in advance
Would be irrelevant to share my current settings unless you have my same spec monitor and same spec PC... they are both OP for PR. I jam all my settings to max. If I see jagged lines in game, like game settings not properly applying a feature such as AA, I go into my Nvidia control panel and set game-specific settings for the .exe to override and force max AA.

I rarely am bothered by tearing, so I play without any sync options like VSYNC, and let frames flop all over the place depending on the action in the scene - with my current system, I rarely see FPS drop below 70FPS... but back in the day when I played PR all day everyday on a crap laptop or less-than-optimal PC, I would dumb down all settings including textures just to get the highest FPS possible and totally sacrificing things like visual quality for better performance, and always with max view distance.

I never used ENB or sweetfx or such things, when I was playing these would force reload textures at every map change, so I would never have a chance to be one of the first players in the server, able to claim and/or lead a vehicle squad for example, which is way more important than visuals IMHO.

That much is subjective: games can be playable down to 25FPS, maybe not well and not optimal, but not at all "unplayable". If someone wants to find that balance inbetween (for them, for their specific spec monitor/PC), it's no big deal to sacrifice 5-10 FPS for slightly better quality visuals.

Once you're sure this game (or PC gaming in general) is something you really enjoy like a proper hobby, it's worth knowing that with a dedicated budget to buy a better-than-entry level gaming PC, these minor trades of performance over quality become more and more minor. I built a beast of a PC driving a 1080p display & designed to chew up way more intense games like Arma 3 where I can get 60FPS at least with ALL settings jammed up to Ultra, or Red Dead Redemption 2 (all ultra) with at least 80FPS at all times, and so there is never a question of settings: I jam all to max, and forget about it, no matter what the game is.

Last edited by SemlerPDX; 2022-10-05 at 17:11.. Reason: reply to unreplied question 2 yrs ago