project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
16 Sep 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

Old 2012-02-09, 00:31   #1
eddie
The [R-MOD]s' Poodle

Default RAF orders 8th C-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightglobal
The UK is to receive another Boeing C-17 strategic transport, with the acquisition to boost the Royal Air Force's fleet of the type to eight aircraft.

Announced by prime minister David Cameron on 8 February, the ?200 million ($316 million) purchase represents the potentially final addition to the UK's C-17 fleet, which plays a vital role in sustaining its "airbridge" with Afghanistan. Seven are flown by the service's 99 Sqn from its air transport super base at RAF Brize Norton, Oxfordshire.

The UK operates the second-largest fleet of C-17s, behind the US Air Force, although India recently completed the process of ordering a fleet of 10 to enter use from later this decade.
UK to buy eighth C-17 transport

The C-17 seems to be one of a select few pieces of equipment in service that is never slated (or if it is, not publicly). I'm glad too see this being ordered after we found a few quid lying around and filling the gap for those A400Ms which will be delivered any decade now!

eddie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 00:07   #2
mangeface
Supporting Member

Default Re: RAF orders 8th C-17

Hell yeah. The C-17 is an amazing aircraft. I have a friend from high school that's a load master on them and he loves it.
mangeface is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 08:51   #3
Xavo|xXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside12 View Post
Hell yeah. The C-17 is an amazing aircraft. I have a friend from high school that's a load master on them and he loves it.
Man that would be one of my dream jobs if I ever joined the military, alongside loadmaster/crewchief in a helicopter and war photographer.

It goes Halle Berry or Hallelujah | Pick your poison tell me what you do | Every body gon' respect the shooter | But the one in front of the gun lives forever
Xavo|xXx is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 09:00   #4
mangeface
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavo|xXx View Post
Man that would be one of my dream jobs if I ever joined the military, alongside loadmaster/crewchief in a helicopter and war photographer.
Eh, there really isn't such a thing as a load master in a helicopter. Crew chiefs in helos are cross trained as load masters, at least in the Marines. I think in the Army they are the same way, except some are called load masters cause that's their role for the flight, managing the cargo. But that would only be on the CH-47/MH-47.
Old 2012-03-04, 03:18   #5
Xavo|xXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangeface View Post
Eh, there really isn't such a thing as a load master in a helicopter. Crew chiefs in helos are cross trained as load masters, at least in the Marines. I think in the Army they are the same way, except some are called load masters cause that's their role for the flight, managing the cargo. But that would only be on the CH-47/MH-47.
Yeah I see what you mean, but you get my point

It goes Halle Berry or Hallelujah | Pick your poison tell me what you do | Every body gon' respect the shooter | But the one in front of the gun lives forever
Xavo|xXx is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 10:32   #6
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

have C-17s ever been used in a humanitarian aid capacity? I just wondered since Afghanistan is supposedly winding down in 2015, so will we find uses for this aircraft in times of relative peace? Seems like they have lots of applications in both conflict and peace.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 11:31   #7
Elfraddor

As far as I know.. the Australian C17s have been doing humanitarian work. Not to mention assisting cut off regions of Queensland during the 2011 Summer floods.
Elfraddor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 17:08   #8
ZAP44
Supporting Member

All the time along with other aircraft of AMC (Air Mobility Command). Air Mobility Command - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ZAP44 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 07:23   #9
mangeface
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAP44 View Post
All the time along with other aircraft of AMC (Air Mobility Command). Air Mobility Command - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jeez, the C-130 just never quits. It's a loud bitch, even the new J models (rode in a KC-130J from Sigonella, Italy to Rome, Italy). There's going to be a hell of an impact to the air forces of earth when that plane is retired.
Old 2012-03-06, 14:58   #10
ZAP44
Supporting Member

I know it. The 130 carrier trials on the USS Forrestal in the early 1960’s always intrigued me USS Forrestal C-130 Hercules Carrier Landing Trials - YouTube
ZAP44 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
8th, c17, orders, raf