project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
17 Sep 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2018-07-12, 20:35   #1
DogACTUAL

Default State of AA

Can we talk about this in a constructive manner?

Not only did the DEVs totally throw off the CAS/AA balance and make TOWs useless against tanks, no that was not enough. They also had to introduce their most controversial change yet, a 16 character limit on player names.
------------------
''Mats literally does not give a single fuck what you, me or everybody else thinks the game should be like. He doesn't care if you, me or everybody else plays the game even.'' - Frontliner
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-12, 23:14   #2
Hunter291
Default Re: State of AA

working as intended
Hunter291 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 05:22   #3
Singh408

The video says pretty much everything. I don't understand if it's a dedication problem, programming logic related or just not simply interested enough to fix it for once or come up with a more generic solution. It would've been a hotfix next day if it was a infantry related issue. The flare issue has been going on for years now. like no fucks given
Singh408 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 09:33   #4
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
PR:BF2 Developer

Not exactly easy to fix something we didn't write. I have no idea why it behaves differently with Jets.

Gib source code.
AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 10:10   #5
PBAsydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonTavor View Post
Not exactly easy to fix something we didn't write. I have no idea why it behaves differently with Jets.

Gib source code.
Nah, easier to just re-write the lock-on system from scratch. I expect it to be done by 1.6. Get to work Alon

HITREG CARRY
PBAsydney is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 10:18   #6
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor

If someone wants to implement missile logic in python it might be doable. I'll help with the API, any volunteers?
AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 12:03   #7
CAS_ual_TY
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonTavor View Post
If someone wants to implement missile logic in python it might be doable. I'll help with the API, any volunteers?
So that is actually possible? Also define that pls. You mean the missile movement and rotation and their changes depending on the target that is selected? And also the algorithm of which target is being chosen?

CAS_ual_TY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 10:50   #8
DogACTUAL

When the changes were made that led to this issue, helicopters had exactly the same problem, missiles completely ignoring flares. Then people pointed it out and it was fixed, while the problem remained for jets. Therefore, wouldn't it be possible to do the same for jets?

Not only did the DEVs totally throw off the CAS/AA balance and make TOWs useless against tanks, no that was not enough. They also had to introduce their most controversial change yet, a 16 character limit on player names.
------------------
''Mats literally does not give a single fuck what you, me or everybody else thinks the game should be like. He doesn't care if you, me or everybody else plays the game even.'' - Frontliner
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 11:39   #9
Singh408

Holy shit yes me. I'd be interested in doing it. But total noob 3-4 months in python. If anything I wana do it for experience.
Singh408 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-13, 12:46   #10
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor

-You can control objects by setting their position and rotation every game tick. When using the engine's default prediction mode (networkableInfo.setPredictionMode PMLinear) they'll be smoothed nicely as long as the object keeps moving (It bugs out if you stop moving the object, which is why we had to make the new laser system look choppy.)

-You can get a list of flares in the air every few game ticks (that query is super unoptimized, takes like 2-4ms, possibly double on linux. Use a system I implemented that synchronizes heavy "tasks" and allows only one heavy "task" per game tick). There's an unused BF2 system that allows you to see how many bullets of what template a player fired that was used for BF2 stats, can maybe use that to figure out if any pilot pooped a new flare and only then do the checks.

-Can cache flying vehicle list, no optimization issues here.

-Check which objects are in the missile's cone using M A T H (Angle between vectors). I would do one "task" for query and another "task" for target acquisition. 5 (x2) ticks a second should still leave 20 ticks a second for other tasks, more than plenty.

-Every game tick check distance to target. Delete projectile if its too close. I am not sure if python-deleting projectile objects triggers the explosion component, we'll have to figure that out, worst case we'll have to setDamage through python to nearby targets, or better I'll memory hack it and edit the part of the projectile that is used for TimeToLive so it artificially times out and explodes.

-Biggest technical problem: have to implement a Python-controlled warning system and locking system. Fortunately Mats has been working on something that can allow us to do these. Though I have no idea how we're going to do the HUD showing "Locked" on a target.
Last edited by AlonTavor; 2018-07-13 at 13:06..

Tags
state