project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
14 Nov 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-14, 10:12   #1
Sgt. Mahi

Default [Solved] Can you reuse a HP case?

Hi

I'm now determined to try to build my own PC and everything in my old HP desktop computer is so old that I'm going to throw everything out except the graphic card, which is only a year old or so.

I'm just curious, before I throw the whole damn thing in the dumpster if I can use the HP case as a build frame? No need to buy a new if that's the case.

I'm not at home right now but I think my computer is an old HP DC7600 which looks like this:

Could a standard ATX motherboard fit in that? Let me know, please

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading
Old 2012-06-14, 18:34   #2
whatshisname55

Default re: [Solved] Can you reuse a HP case?

Quote:
No need to buy a new if that's the case.
icwutudidthar

I couldn't find any decent info on the case but from the looks of it a standard ATX should fit. Keep in mind though that the case has horrible airflow so if you put any serious heat producing parts in there you risk letting them overheat. Also, cable management will be a massive pain.
Old 2012-06-15, 06:32   #3
mangeface
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshisname55 View Post
Keep in mind though that the case has horrible airflow so if you put any serious heat producing parts in there you risk letting them overheat. Also, cable management will be a massive pain.
I agree. I say just spend about $50 and get a purpose made gaming case.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case
Newegg.com - Antec Gaming Series One Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - Thermaltake V4 Black Edition Gaming Chassis Mid Tower Steel Computer Case Fully Black Powdered Interior VM30001W2Z

(I know you live in Denmark and Newegg doesn't ship overseas, but these are just for reference)

The Cooler Master is hands down going to be the best bang for the buck on that list. The Thermaltake only supports a rear exhaust fan, the Antec supports a front and rear fan, while the Cooler Master supports front, side, rear and dual 120mm top mounted fans. Plus you get a sweet viewing panel to impress your friends. TBH, I don't even think I should've linked the Antec or Thermaltake.
Old 2012-06-15, 22:19   #4
[R-COM]rushn
Support Technician
Supporting Member

the motherboard that it was using before what factor was it?

mini ATX? ATX? etc

if it was regular ATX size than you can reuse the case and there is no need to buy a new one unless you will be doing overclocking or getting big components that wouldn't be able to fit in that case

also you can get mini atx motherboard which are cheaper than normall ones the only sacrifice you make is less slots and space for components
Old 2012-06-15, 23:52   #5
MaSSive

Hmmm, by the looks you got mATX mainboard in it now, and fitting full ATX or eATX in it is going to be a close call. What other said you're going to have problems with cabling and airflow.

If you want to save some money then its a valid point for a start, then buy new one later, but definitely dont go on with it.

CATA4TW!
"People never lie so much as before an election, during a war, or after a hunt."
"God has a special providence for fools, drunks, and the United States of America."
― Otto von Bismarck
Old 2012-06-16, 08:34   #6
40mmrain
Supporting Member

the HDD bays are a bitch to work with on pre-built cases.

A decent case with pretty LEDs and everything is like 40 dollars.

might as well
Old 2012-06-19, 20:03   #7
[R-DEV]​LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Supporting Member

Hi Mahi,

Acoording to the tech specs for this, IF you indeed have the HP DC7600 CMT minitower, you can only use a MicroATX form factor motherboard, and the longest graphics card you can use is 10.5 inches without cutting out the lowest HDD drive bay..

Go to the page marked as "2-3"
http://static.tigerdirect.com/pdf/c00383428.pdf

Defintion of MIcroATX form factor:
microATX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, if you are handy, you can reuse the case, instead of spending $50 on a new case, you can use a Dremel and a free online template to cut out a (92 or 120 MM) side vent or top vent on the case. Plenty of tutorials out there for this. Here is one:
[TUT] How to cut a 120mm / 12cm fan hole

Think of it as, you have to spend $50 bucks, you can either buy a case ,
or reuse this case, and then buy a Dremel and a cheap metal file which will last you for many years for many projects.

I personally would reuse the case. I don't give a crap about what my PC looks like. Every single time we've played together I've been using my PC case as a foot rest. I am cheap, I like modding stuff and I like not throwing out perfectly good stuff.

P.S. when using Dremels and meatl files to mod cases, make 100% certain all the metallic case shavings are cleaned out, or they will short out the motherboard.

EDIT: I see no reason to buy a ATX mobo unless you have a large number of physical drives attached to the motherboard.

Old 2012-06-20, 04:00   #8
mangeface
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd View Post
Every single time we've played together I've been using my PC case as a foot rest.
HAHAHA!!!

I agree with what you said. I know not everyone has money to drop on computers like I did. I just dropped $40 on 4 120MM fans to make a push/pull on my CPU cooler radiator. If it was me, I would buy a new case and a few fans. But like what you described, making your own ports with a Dremel works well too. Not to mention the awesome uses of a Dremel you can have in the future.
Old 2012-06-20, 20:54   #9
Epim3theus

You have to consider the width of the case aswell, because of big graphic cards if you are considering one. I reused my old fujitse siemens full atx case until recently, when i went from a 4850 to 6870 the latter had side power connectors so that i could not shut the side of the case anymore. The card would fit but not with the connectors on.

FU siemens was 18 cm to antec one 19 cm with circa 1/1.5 cm bulge.

If you can read this the bitch fell off.
Last edited by Epim3theus; 2012-06-20 at 21:17..
Old 2012-06-20, 21:11   #10
[R-DEV]​LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epim3theus View Post
You have to consider the width of the case aswell, because of big graphic cards if you are considering one. I reused my old fujitse siemens full atx case until recently, when i went from a 4850 to 6870 the latter had side power connectors so that i could not shut the side of the case anymore. The card would fit but not with the connectors on.
Good point,

Again from the pdf file above in section 2-3 http://static.tigerdirect.com/pdf/c00383428.pdf , here are the size specs for the video card

Quote:
"[4] Accepts standard height, normal (non-reversed) layout ADD2/SDVO card: height = 4.2 in.,
length = 10.5 in."
And if you cut off the lowest HDD tray, you can get the length to about 14 inches.

EDIT: Mahi, there is a very good selection of MIcroATX motherboards available on the market,
search for these features:
socket 1155,
Z77 chipset
Two PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots, or (one PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot and one PCI Express 2.1 x16 slot)
and as many SATA6 connectors as possible
here are three options:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=1&srchInDesc=

Last edited by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd; 2012-06-20 at 21:18..
Closed Thread

Tags
case, reuse, solved