project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
23 Aug 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2018-08-10, 19:16   #41
[R-DEV]​AfterDune
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: are the devs gonna do PR mod for SQUAD? PR:squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
Sorry fuzzhead but from my pleb perspective it doesn't look like you will be successful.
Considering fuzzhead is a former PR dev, he's used to people saying "this is never going to work", hehe .

I was (and still am) very excited to see fuzzhead back in action, doing what he's good at. And so I'm confident he'll deliver. After all, he hasn't been hired to do something random.

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-11, 05:58   #42
sirfstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterDune View Post
Considering fuzzhead is a former PR dev, he's used to people saying "this is never going to work", hehe .
oh it is going to work, sure... for the crowd that squad sells to. but nothing in it has the intention to make the game, quote: "feel more like PR"
they've literally said (in squadchat IIRC) its too hard for people to build fobs so lets make fobs less important and rally spawns more accessible. i really wonder how is insurgency-like spawn-waves going to slow things down. and i'd bet it will not. so far all the disclosed additions (including new med system) only speeding up the pace.
sirfstar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-11, 10:32   #43
Danesh_italiano
Supporting Member

Just make it like as PR 0.98/1.0

Not much milsim (like recent pr updates/arma), and not much vanilla (bf2).

I like PR (or liked?!) becose it is/was between BF2 <- PR -> Arma

So sei que nada sei.
Danesh_italiano is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-11, 18:50   #44
DogACTUAL

i find myself agreeing with all of sirfstars comments, even though admittedly they are full of salt. Following SQUAD since its public announcement on bluedraeks channel i went from totally hyped to cynical over the years with how things played out.

It just doesn't look like SQUAD devs will ever deliver the real PR experience, just a watered down version of it at best.
This is very 'triggering' for me since the game itself looks and sounds beautiful (animations, sounds, effects, scale and models etc) but for me it will never realize its true potential because of the decisions made regarding balance and game meta.

The groundwork is just awesome but the meta the devs are pushing ruins it for me.

Not only did the DEVs totally throw off the CAS/AA balance and make TOWs useless against tanks, no that was not enough. They also had to introduce their most controversial change yet, a 16 character limit on player names.
------------------
''Mats literally does not give a single fuck what you, me or everybody else thinks the game should be like. He doesn't care if you, me or everybody else plays the game even.'' - Frontliner
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-12, 15:11   #45
Matrox
Retired PR Developer

Danny on PC announced that they are looking for devs for a BF3, PR style modification @1:43 in the video that is 2 years in development, and is coming up to Alpha.

Now that is f'ing exciting.

If you can find the four ninjas in my post, pm me to find out the prize....

Soalic: Because Microsoft Word makes really good pictures.
Matrox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-12, 15:55   #46
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member

Is there a terrain editor? Custom animations/weapons? What are the actual possibilities or is it really just a rework of BF3 with "PR" style weapon usage and gamemodes?

(not meant as insult to the developers for 'lack off' these things, just wondering)

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-13, 01:31   #47
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterDune View Post
LOL ain't that the truth

Come check out Squad in maybe 4 months it should be starting to form gameplay by then

Nice to see ya Afterdune!! and Rhino!!

I took a break from video games, did some endurance sports... Ran Boston Marathon and did my first Ironman...it was good and now I'm moving across the country to help make Squad a great fun game, sneaking in those same elements that created those game moments that got us all falling in love with PR again and again <3

I got to meet up with dbzao earlier in the year, they have a discord chat if you guys want to play some games together sometime
fuzzhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-13, 01:43   #48
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

For you guys that hate the way Squad has went... I hear ya... perhaps you can give it another shot, maybe wait til 2019 until things are dialed in a bit more...

Gameplay is still evolving and I hear you on pacing and the other problems. Feel free to message or post about your thoughts
A great thing about UE4 is that it is being continosly updated, and is not bound to the limits of BF2 hackery (as in, full access avaliable to source code which can change any aspect of the game - given enough effort).

I agree BF2 Refractor is incredibly solid and smooth engine foundation to base a mod off of, and Squad has been playing catch up in alot of ways, and are still behind in many areas that were already implemented in as early as PRMM 0.2
fuzzhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-13, 03:33   #49
sirfstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzhead View Post
For you guys that hate the way Squad has went... I hear ya... perhaps you can give it another shot, maybe wait til 2019 until things are dialed in a bit more...

Gameplay is still evolving and I hear you on pacing and the other problems. Feel free to message or post about your thoughts
well my thoughts has been posted above
it seems like you're trying to keep current pace, or even speed it up
like you can slow it down with:
+ suppression (this one i liked but seeing "competitive" community reaction to it feels like it might not pass through)
+ fob overruns

BUT then you're instantly taking it back with
- ridiculous spawn-waves on unlimited rallies, which will render fobs obsolete anyway
- med. system where any average Joe can get you up fighting on site
-- so you just get to kill a squad that at first resurrects itself a few times then coming back in full force from their rally (faster than before because you don't need to waste time refreshing it), continuing squad's finest meat-grinder traditions

it is unclear how are you going to make it better in 2019. drop some mysterious pacing bomb on it so we all will be happy forever?

there are really easy ways to make it more like PR, just make it like PR! (makes sense right?)
but OWI is always just refuses to take PR's decades of experience because they want to set squad apart from PR for some reason.

tl;dr I fail to see the bigger picture you might have and i'd like to be enlightened
sirfstar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-13, 05:27   #50
[R-CON]​mectus11
PR:BF2 Contributor

you're really annoying

mectus11 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
devs, gonna, mod, prsquad, squad