project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
17 Aug 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2017-12-11, 21:44   #11
[R-CON]​Fastjack
PR:BF2 Contributor

Default Re: [Map]MountainsInfantry (4km)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Outlawz7 View Post
I'm curious where you got DEM data from.
Quote:
Hello,

for my first post, I propose you a small flight by plane, in mountains: the heightmap was made thanks to a DEM of a valley in the north of italy, and textured with a set of orthophotos; Four kilometers per side, and so many artifacts, as you can imagine; And no surrounding terrain: in fact, it was only a test map to see if the presence of high mountains had an interest in air flight;

It seems that "yes"!
Here

Dear Cataly63,

thanks for Sharing and showing this community that still other Modding-Communities making nice things.

What about the Surroundings? It's fixed?
Fastjack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-12, 01:16   #12
[R-DEV]​Outlawz7
PR:BF2 Developer

No. Where did he get DEM from, not which place is it.

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-12, 06:52   #13
cataly

Hello everyone, sorry to have taken a little time to answer: many people ask me informations from everywhere!

First of all, thank you for your interest, and I will try to give you some explanations.

Anyway, since the first version, the map has evolved, although, with such dimensions, there are still some artifacts. The DEM question alone deserves a long development; I've been using the same map for years and I'd have to go back to my archives to find this old details: what I'm going to do next: just know that I'm not happy with my start SRTM data (1 arc-second (~ 30 meters) and 3 arc-seconds (~ 90 meters)) or even Aster Gdem, also in 30 meters, not detailed enough, to my taste, I headed to geoportals where GIS data can be obtained: no need to explain to you the difficulties encountered with the use of contour lines, as on geographical maps; during this preliminary research, L3DT was very useful to me ........!

if you're interested, I'll talk a little more about it, soon:

To answer to your question, [R-CON]Fastjack, as said [R-DEV]Outlawz7, actually, the problem of the surrounding field in 8 bits only is still present: but strongly attenuated: on the map presented here, this has no importance; this concerns especially the Dogfight version which offers a very extensive view of the mountain: but, from my point of view, the result is satisfactory!
cataly is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-12, 12:10   #14
[R-DEV]​AfterDune
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Could you post a minimap? Tnx .

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-12, 13:55   #15
[R-DEV]​Rusty_42

Rusty_42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-12, 14:24   #16
ALADE3N
Project Reality Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Rusty_42 View Post

woooaahh...so it could run perfectly on PR? :O

ALADE3N is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-12, 16:09   #17
cataly

Oooooh! it makes me very happy, [R-CON]Rusty_42 !
How did you manage that ?
cataly is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-13, 08:43   #18
Swaggzor

this looks so awesome..

*NwA* SwaggerNL
Swaggzor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-13, 09:08   #19
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Pretty cool, how did you make the terrain so high? I've not tried it in the past but people who have, have found the BF2 engine bugs out when the terrain goes over a certain height?

I would also recommend you fully repaint the map with L3DT or something like that. I know the aerial photos look cool from the air but having all the treetops painted on the terrain ground, with their shadows too, looks pretty bad, especially from the ground and when combined with the shadows of the 3D trees etc.

Would also suggest you look at changing your tree light settings, right now the bottom leaves are black as it looks like your using the default editor lighting for trees right now, they will look much better if you make the tree shadow colour brighter

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-13, 10:13   #20
[R-DEV]​AfterDune
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

That looks really nice!

I think the satellite look is great for stuff in the distance. If it's outside the playable area, it's not a big deal I'd say.

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
4km, infantry, map, mapmountainsinfantry, mountain