project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
18 Aug 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2017-12-15, 09:44   #31
[R-DEV]​AfterDune
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: [Map]MountainsInfantry (4km)

Just did a little testing. The mountains in the distance look absolutely incredible and I think maps could really benefit from this.

I only did some flying around, but the 'satellite' terrain looks quite bad/weird when you're close. There are these spots everywhere that just don't make sense. From a distance they certainly do, but when up close, you expect "something" to be there. The trees just stand out way too much and I can't unsee that.

When you're on the ground, as infantry, it's not as bad, as the grass draws all around you, hiding those spots. But when you look a little further away, there it is again.

Obviously the terrain is morphing, but from what I've seen in only a few minutes, it's not that bad, as the large mountains aren't really playable area anyway. As in, you don't go there as infantry, as there's nothing of value there.

The actual playable area where the flags are is alright, albeit a bit small from what I could tell. I must admit I really like what you've accomplished with just vanilla statics. As long as these large satellite mountains are in the distance and not in the playable area, it's perfect.

The current setup wouldn't really work for PR I think. The playable area is too small to do any large scale tactical fighting. As a vBF2 map however, this is perfect.

The PR version should have the overgrowth distance set a little higher btw, the trees pop up all the time when you're flying around. Oh well.

AfterDune is online now Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-16, 14:08   #32
[R-DEV]​Rusty_42

Playable area, fallujah for scale
Rusty_42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-16, 14:23   #33
[R-DEV]​AfterDune
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

I saw that, but from the sky it didn't feel that big at all, hehe

AfterDune is online now Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-16, 15:32   #34
VTRaptor

Land vehicles are getting terrain damage.
VTRaptor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-17, 11:26   #35
cataly

if someone wants to see the whole map ... a little flight?

https://youtu.be/Q0McnB4hlYc

Last edited by cataly; 2017-12-18 at 06:04..
Old 2017-12-17, 16:02   #36
[R-CON]​Fastjack
PR:BF2 Contributor

About the Ingame Clip. Track IR?
Fastjack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-17, 18:26   #37
cataly

]No ! Bf2freelook : unfortunately work only with os 32 bits...

Last edited by cataly; 2017-12-18 at 06:06..
Old 2017-12-18, 06:44   #38
cataly

As said before, this type of map is a set of compromises: in the last example provided, that of the dogfight mode, there is no infantry mode, no vehicle, and almost nothing on the ground; in order to avoid attracting the eye: the mountain is there, only as a backdrop; if we had to fill the map with objects, we should first have a lot of trees, as well as rocks; which would kill the FPS, given the necessary long distance vision: only, perhaps, the most powerful computers could display it; what remains to be verified: in the version on the ground, there is only a small playable perimeter , with enough objects to be acceptable: the fact that the soldiers move slowly does not cause appearance / disappearance trees, as disturbing as with planes; if we want to keep the mountain scenery, while limiting the number of objects, we could, indeed, extend the overgrowth to the nearest peaks, and marry the color of the trees with those of the satellite photo! For the near mink, it is quite possible to rework the texture with photoshop tools, which I have done very little here! And, in the editor, simply, using various levels of gray, we can easily remove unnecessary shadows or inconsistent: we can even go further by removing all traces of shadow and inappropriate colors (traces of buildings), and do a lightmapping of the ground, only on the reworked tile. As for the issue of morphing, I met it, also in the village: I place then under the surface, a flat rock, which makes it possible to circumvent the visual inconvenience; or some bushes.

The first conclusion is that with this type of map, we will probably not be able to play both on the ground and in flight: unless we have very powerful computers; and it's not even certain ... If you choose to develop the game on the ground, the vehicles will have severe limitations, given the sloppe; but nothing prevents the development of the whole map for the infantry; the few tests done with the bots, on the whole map produces a dispersion of the AI, which seems to me incompatible with a realistic gameplay: here, a set of scripts would be more suitable, it seems to me. Many things remain, therefore, to explore ...!

and thank you for your analysis [R-DEV]AfterDune and [R-CON]Rusty_42

cheers
Last edited by cataly; 2017-12-18 at 06:57..
Old 2017-12-18, 10:36   #39
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

cataly have you tried the Falklands map? If you're making a map that is mainly aimed at dogfighting, mesh terrain is by far the best solution, as you can make it more optimized than normal terrain, and also make 8km(+) maps with it in BF2, as per Falklands. Also do have an infantry side to that map (and soon naval side too), although mesh terrain's main downside is you can't have BF2 undergrowth, and you also can't have transitions in the detail textures, but this all isn't an issue for jets flying high above it. I also had quite a few rocks on the map and some overgrowth too, although you could have still had more OG tbh, just the real islands didn't have much in r/l so didn't need to put much on them

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-19, 05:57   #40
cataly

thank you Rhino, this weekend, I'll have a little time to open the Falklands map in the editor, and see all this more closely: very interesting this idea! I had heard about it, but nothing seen so far ..
cataly is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
4km, infantry, map, mapmountainsinfantry, mountain