project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
20 Aug 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2017-02-23, 03:11   #11
obpmgmua
Default Re: Question for the Devs

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Outlawz7 View Post
Pretty much this for me. It's not a portfolio, it's a hobby.
But dont you guys want to get paid for your hobby? Are you paid jobs so good you can dedicate time to this?

If you want Spawnable RPGs and SVDs for Insurgent team

Sign Here ______________________
obpmgmua is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-23, 08:25   #12
sunshine2241991

Think about it .
They can always put in the resume that they created / modded a game that is been played for about 10 years .
Thats a lot better than a stuff in mcdonalds

-----------Ghost-------------

My sh1t Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJy..._a12QV_qaarCcQ
My Sh1tty Mixtapes : https://soundcloud.com/ghostidd
sunshine2241991 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-23, 12:05   #13
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obpmgmua View Post
But, some of you (wont say who) have been here as long as I have.
I've only been here since 2006

For me, I want to finish what I've started and while I'm finding it hard to find the time and sometimes motivation if I'm honest to keep on working PR these days, I'm not leaving until I've finished them as the Frigate & what comes with it will be super awesome and will be totally unique gameplay you won't find in any other game, other than slightly in BF1942 but that was a WW2 setting without missiles etc

I've had offers for paid jobs along the way but they weren't right for me. As for what I will do after PR, I'm not sure yet, although I will possibly be setting up my own Indi Game Studio (and if so I wouldn't be making anything that competes with Squad before the rumors start, wouldn't even be doing an FPS as such even) but we will see

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-23, 12:23   #14
[R-DEV]​camo
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
although I will possibly be setting up my own Indi Game Studio (and if so I wouldn't be making anything that competes with Squad before the rumors start, wouldn't even be doing an FPS as such even) but we will see
It wouldn't happen to be an sim/adventure/strategy game set in space would it?

camo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-23, 14:53   #15
mries
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obpmgmua View Post
But dont you guys want to get paid for your hobby? Are you paid jobs so good you can dedicate time to this?
That is the whole sense of a hobby, shouldn't make real profit IMO.
You do voluntary stuff because you like it, enjoy the work, enjoy the social aspect and to improve your own mindset/skills.

I have had my studies on hold for one full year to do a fulltime voluntary board-job and that specific year made me way more ahead of knowledge, skill and personality than any of my classmates.
And no way I would wanted to make money out of it and I regret nothing.

Not all things you do should be equalized with money, although I surely want to be a good earner eventually (which thanks to that voluntary year my chances are high), hobbies are for the funz

mries is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-23, 15:26   #16
DogACTUAL

Another aspect is that with money comes the need to please the masses to sell more copies and maximise the income. That's what happened to the battlefield series more and more and you can see the effects in squad too here and there.

In PR development the DEVs can be more flexible and make more interesting mechanics and gameplay, with slower pace, that might turn away many potential players. As long as there are still enough people playing it, the DEVs can make exactly the game they would like to play, so they have way more freedom in that regard.

Of course they still can't get away with anything, if they do something that pisses off the community, the playerbase and donations might take a hit.

But all in all i would say if PR had been monetized it would have never had the same interesting gameplay and unique style and mechanics it has today, it would probably be more casually oriented.
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-23, 15:52   #17
Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mries View Post
That is the whole sense of a hobby, shouldn't make real profit IMO.
You do voluntary stuff because you like it, enjoy the work, enjoy the social aspect and to improve your own mindset/skills.

I have had my studies on hold for one full year to do a fulltime voluntary board-job and that specific year made me way more ahead of knowledge, skill and personality than any of my classmates.
And no way I would wanted to make money out of it and I regret nothing.

Not all things you do should be equalized with money, although I surely want to be a good earner eventually (which thanks to that voluntary year my chances are high), hobbies are for the funz
Some people dont want to get into the video game industry like myself., I play baseball but it also doesnt mean I want to go into the MLB.

Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-23, 17:34   #18
Jacksonez__

You might impress your future employer by saying Project Reality was one of your projects.

Jacksonez__ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-23, 18:35   #19
[R-DEV]​AfterDune
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

My day job is quite perfect for me right now. When at home (and I have time to kill) I can do something that relaxes me - modding. But I wouldn't want to do this as a job. Not the trench job anyway .

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-23, 19:49   #20
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]camo View Post
It wouldn't happen to be an sim/adventure/strategy game set in space would it?
lol, I can see why you would think that since I've been spending most of my free time playing ED/Stellaris recently but no, it isn't
What I'm mainly thinking of hasn't actually really been done before but for that reason I'm not going to go into it with anyone either, unless I think they could be part of the team and sign an NDA before hand but some way off from that, need to finish my PR work first

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
devs, question