project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > Project Reality News
20 Sep 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Project Reality News Project Reality news releases and announcements.

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-29, 03:47   #21
TheCaptn

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]eggman
What were you thinking of here?
Well I was thinking we probably wouldn't see any major changes until 0.5 (or whatever the next version will be). I was only expecting balance tweaks in 0.41, so it's a pleasant surprise.

Old 2006-11-29, 04:19   #22
eggman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptn
Well I was thinking we probably wouldn't see any major changes until 0.5 (or whatever the next version will be). I was only expecting balance tweaks in 0.41, so it's a pleasant surprise.
er.. no sorry what I meant was what were you thinking wrt the target indicator for spotted vehicles?

I had thought about adding the laser guided missile style target indicators that define friend or foe, but I am not sure if that's realistic.

Cheers!
egg

Old 2006-11-29, 05:12   #23
TheCaptn

The idea was that when a teammate spots an enemy vehicle it appears in the attack chopper MFD (gun and missile) with one of those little boxes around it, but only for the duration that it is spotted.

It would give the ground troops a powerful anti-armor capability if they're cooperating well with the chopper crew, and give the chopper an ability to engage targets from 'beyond visual range' as long as they get that support.

It was the best mid-point I could think of between realistic gameplay for the attack helicopter, and the work involved in implementing a laser designator.

Old 2006-11-29, 05:29   #24
OverwatchX
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptn
It was the best mid-point I could think of between realistic gameplay for the attack helicopter, and the work involved in implementing a laser designator.
With all due respect, I prefer no mid points...just realism. So, if the MFDs had boxes in reality, then they should have them in the mod.

The new patch sounds awesome. I like what you all have done in the changelogs. My only minor complaint is in regards to anti-armor kits. They can become way too plentiful. Does the quartermaster system limit the number of kits that are on the battlefield at any one time? If so, thats awesome.

Realism and fun aren't mutually exclusive.
Old 2006-11-29, 05:46   #25
dbzao
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Of course, that's why he exists - to limit the number of kits per team.

But right now PR only limits the heavy AT, not the light AT.
Old 2006-11-29, 05:48   #26
<<502nd>>Genocide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoeGamer
With all due respect, I prefer no mid points...just realism. So, if the MFDs had boxes in reality, then they should have them in the mod.
Being able to laser guide a hellfire missile on a top down attack from miles away is bit extreme even for a game that promotes realism. (http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...bra+helicopter)

Sacrifices have to be made for gameplay's sake. TheCaptn's proposal is a reasonable mid-point.
Last edited by <<502nd>>Genocide; 2006-11-29 at 06:01..
Old 2006-11-29, 06:55   #27
TheCaptn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoeGamer
The simple fact is you can't have realism in BF2... In most maps you can't see more than 500m in front of you, as opposed to the many kilometers you can see in real life on an ordinary day. In real life helicopters can use that stand-off distance and powerful camera equipment to engage targets on the ground miles away, and they'd never know what hit them.

My idea is just a way to add that long-range capability back to the choppers in a way that promotes teamwork, but isn't god-like in power.

Old 2006-11-29, 08:10   #28
eggman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I don't know of a way to implement that.

Cheers!
egg

Old 2006-11-29, 10:53   #29
Infidel

In real life can't they use spotters (special forces) to shine a Laser Designator on a target for the aircraft/missiles to destroy?

Or maybe just give squad leaders the ability to mark targets for air support to annihilate because it's too easy to team kill when attacking with Apache or A10
especially in PR v0.4 because the aircraft are literally death-traps and you cannot afford to hesitate if you spot a target.

In fact I hope you adjust/fix things a little because you have to be a suicidal maniac to get into an aircraft in v 0.4.
Old 2006-11-29, 11:53   #30
[502nd] Tonitrus

Hey Guys, Just to say. I fully appreciate the work you guys are doing. It seems to me you hate losing 1 on 1's to players that seem to take 20 to 30 7.62mm rounds and shoot you once. I reprisent a tactical clan that is just finding it's feet in this run n' gun world of BF series. We're all for realism and cant wait until the infantry weapons kill effectively.

Regards,

.Maik.
Closed Thread

Tags
141, bf2, patch, project, reality, status, v04, v041