project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:BF2 Support
16 Dec 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Support Help and support regarding PR:BF2 installation and in-game issues

Old 2015-11-03, 02:06   #11
MaSSive

Default Re: CTD PR 1.3.5

It means that you have to set Profiles folder ( in Documents ) as NOT read only, and that you as user have full r/w access to it.

Lots of people complain about it, and I sugest to try to move profiles folder out of Documents system folder to perhaps PR installation directory and see what happens.

I hadnt updated yet ( lack of time ) but I will try it today and see what I get. Until now I had no signle issue, but my PC/OS is a bit tweaked to work without MS crapware ( Win10Pro X64 ) - in short no onedrive even though I do use online account. I believe OneDrive to be the issue here of changing r/w access on the fly messing things up. If you like to keep OneDrive then as I advised try to move the Profiles directory to some other place ( prefferably out of system drive ). Easiest is to place it in PR installation directory and I think you can do that trough PR Launcher. Do the same for updater path and logs.

Edit: Correction I was wrong about Profiles you cant move it from within the launcher, I thought its possible.

I would advise the DEVs then to either hardcoded Profiles directory be moved by application itself not to create it in Documents but install directory or add option in the PR launcher to be able to move it to other location. At least try that and see if it works and if its possible but I believe it is.

UPDATE:

I just updated and played one round on COOP server and I had no issues with exception of apparent server crash with map Assault on Grozny ( which probably ha snothing to do with the clients ) and my Mumble wasnt working which again may be the server not having it configured. Wasnt trying to change video settings on the fly and I think that is not even possible when the game is running. It sure wasnt with vBF2.

So this error

Code:
Project Reality Log File
PRLauncher.exe started at: 2015-11-02T16:31:30

Warning: Unable to set video setting: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Users\jason\Documents\ProjectReality\Profiles\0001\Video.con.tmp' is denied.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalDelete(String path, Boolean checkHost)
   at Reality.BF2.Settings.Video.SetSetting(UInt16 a, VideoSetting b, VideoRestrictedQualityDescription c)
Warning: Error updating video settings: TextureQuality: Failure
Warning: 1352: Error while game running.
is a result of somehow trying to change video settings while the game runs, which is not possible AFAIK or not having the r/w access on ProjectReality folder in the Documents system folder. As I said check your permissions and try not to use OneDrive while running PR. At least make sure it is off while playing and after turnining it off check if any of the folders of files in ProjectReality folder is not set to Read Only. ( In case of Win10 for other just check permissions )

CATA4TW!
"People never lie so much as before an election, during a war, or after a hunt."
"God has a special providence for fools, drunks, and the United States of America."
― Otto von Bismarck
Last edited by MaSSive; 2015-11-03 at 04:29..
Old 2015-11-03, 08:41   #12
Olicarnage

Quote:
A workaround for the moment could be to prevent PRLauncher to update the Video.con with SetSettings methods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonie View Post
I have no clue what that means.
Is it tested and proven to make it work?

Can you explain me step by step what to do?

Unless the devs provide the uncompiled Reality.BF2.dll, it's impossible to do.

The permissions in PR Profiles folder have not changed since the update. How do you explain it worked with the 1.3.0 version in the same conditions ? The permissions of the folder are fine, I double checked before posting here...
Last edited by Olicarnage; 2015-11-03 at 08:52..
Old 2015-11-03, 11:17   #13
Timmie

Same problem here. Sometimes the game crashes when I just launch it (before I get to the startscreen), sometimes it crashes when I just join the server. The longest game I played yesterday was 5 minutes. Then I crashed again.

Everything was stable on 1.3.1. I want this game to work again :'(
Timmie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-03, 13:29   #14
Olicarnage

I tried to play with an old version of PRLauncher ( 1.32.174.1318 ) and his dependencies but there is an integrity check that block online game. Nevertheless, I could play an entire round in solo.

Maybe devs should roll back to the previous version of PRLauncher with a quick patch until this bug is fixed so we can at least play without crashing every 10 min.
Olicarnage is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-03, 18:14   #15
MaSSive

That is weird cause I havent crashed while testing 1.3.5. Sure it was just one round but I had no errors like this. How to explain that? I dont have OneDrive, while most probably do.

It can as well be the on the fly video.con change, but as I said vBF2 video settings could not be changed while in MP server! I doubt that has been changed in PR its probably the engine "feature". They added some custom rules probably in some of the dll's to disable setting quality ( of something ) to Low to prevent certain advantages it gives, and that may be messing things up, but I dont understand why would that even be called if not touching video settings while playing?

CATA4TW!
"People never lie so much as before an election, during a war, or after a hunt."
"God has a special providence for fools, drunks, and the United States of America."
― Otto von Bismarck
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-03, 18:21   #16
DC_K
Supporting Member

for those with windows 10 and their beautiful read only mess, try this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd View Post
I had same problem but I think I solved it. However, my problem is that I couldn't save to OneDrive folders. Other than that, I can save.

I found out that OneDrive permission keep resetting itself is because I have Homegroup network. My other computer without HomeGroup network doesn't have this problem. Once it's set, the permission doesn't change back. So, for those with Homegroup network, you'll find in Sharing tab of folder properties 2 entries: one is Homegroup and the other is the owner.

Just change the permission level of Homegroup to Read/Write instead of Read only.

Also in my settings, OneDrive is owned by my userid, with SYSTEM, ADMINISTRATORS, and Homeusers have all FULL CONTROL.

I realized that permission kept resetting is because my computer is considered to be part of Homegroup network, which only has Read-only access.

If you want to check if it works or not, just right click inside OneDrive folder, choose NEW. IF you only see FOLDER, then it's read-only. If it shows other file types, then it's solved.

I've been resetting my computer a few times and working with files inside OneDrive and I haven't encountered OneDrive problem yet.

In short, if you use Homegroup network, make sure that Sharing is Read+Write. If you don't, just remove your Homegroup network. Or use Workgroup instead. And yes, I'm using MS Account.

prWARs dc-k
DC_K is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-03, 21:09   #17
Stonie

I am not using a homegroup.

I added C:\Users\Sascha\Documents\ProjectReality folder to McAfee list not to scan in scheduled scans
I added PR exe to the white list of the fire wall

Despite that the C:\Users\Sascha\Documents\ProjectReality folder is read only, C:\Users\Sascha\Documents\ProjectReality\Profiles\ 0001\Video.con is NOT read only

Same goes for C:\Program Files (x86)\Project Reality\Project Reality BF2 folder is read only, the files in the folder are NOT read only
Stonie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-03, 21:24   #18
Raklodder
Supporting Member

Code:
System Information
------------------
  Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (10.0.10240)
      Architecture: 64 bitar
   Current Culture: Swedish (Sweden)
       Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67 DELUXE
         Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (Physical: 4, Logical: 8)
            Memory: 16,00 GB
      DIMM Modules: ChannelA-DIMM0: 4,00 GB @ 1600 MHz
                    ChannelA-DIMM1: 4,00 GB @ 1600 MHz
                    ChannelB-DIMM0: 4,00 GB @ 1600 MHz
                    ChannelB-DIMM1: 4,00 GB @ 1600 MHz
         Page File: 1,35 GB
    .NET Framework: 4.6, Runtime: 4.0.30319.42000

Display Information
-------------------
 Display Device(s): Generic PnP Monitor on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
   Display Mode(s): 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) @ 60 Hz
    Driver Version: 10.18.13.5878 (358.78)
    Display Memory: 1,50 GB
     Multisampling: 2, 4, 8
               DPI: 96 (100%)

Audio Information
-----------------
  Primary Playback: H?gtalare (Realtek High Definit
 Primary Recording: Mikrofon (Realtek High Definiti
  Open AL Renderer: Software
               EAX: True
           EAX 1.0: False
           EAX 2.0: True
           EAX 3.0: False
           EAX 4.0: False
           EAX 5.0: False
             X-RAM: False

Disk Information
----------------
      Install Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Project Reality\Project Reality BF2
                    Free: 117,47 GB, Total: 232,40 GB, FS: NTFS, SSD: True
          Mod Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Project Reality\Project Reality BF2\mods\pr
     Profiles Path: C:\Users\Rakl?dder\Documents\ProjectReality\Profiles
    Update DL Path: C:\Users\Rakl?dder\AppData\Local\Project Reality\Project Reality BF2\Downloads
   Update Log Path: C:\Users\Rakl?dder\AppData\Local\Project Reality\Project Reality BF2\UpdateLogs

Game Information
----------------
    Installed Mods: pr
       Current Mod: pr
           Version: Standalone - 1.0
        PR Version: 1.3.5.0
          Language: swedish
   Debug Available: False
     Large Address: True
Supported Hardware: None

Profile Information
-------------------
      Profile 0001: Raklodder
              Type: Online
 Last Used Profile: True
        View Intro: False
        Fullscreen: True
      Display Mode: 1920x1080@60Hz
Display Mode Valid: True
   Graphics Scheme: High
     Multisampling: 8x
             VSync: True
   Terrain Quality: High
   Effects Quality: High
  Geometry Quality: High
   Texture Quality: High
  Lighting Quality: High
   Dynamic Shadows: High
    Dynamic Lights: High
 Texture Filtering: High
    Audio Provider: Hardware
    Provider Valid: True
     Audio Quality: High
               EAX: True
I run into the very same issue where my game client suddenly halts and crashes to desktop at random and I haven't been able to play a whole round except for a few skirmish games after several server restarts on different servers.

What's up with the game client and servers?

When will this be addressed?

Raklodder is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-03, 21:33   #19
Olicarnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSSive View Post
That is weird cause I havent crashed while testing 1.3.5. Sure it was just one round but I had no errors like this. How to explain that? I dont have OneDrive, while most probably do.

It can as well be the on the fly video.con change, but as I said vBF2 video settings could not be changed while in MP server! I doubt that has been changed in PR its probably the engine "feature". They added some custom rules probably in some of the dll's to disable setting quality ( of something ) to Low to prevent certain advantages it gives, and that may be messing things up, but I dont understand why would that even be called if not touching video settings while playing?
This crash doesn't occur for everybody (otherwise, I doubt devs would release a version with a major bug) but it is a fact that a lot of people has it. I'm still on Windows 7 and nothing installed in my PC could change permissions in my Documents folder on the fly like that.

This is a vicious bug because it happens randomly. Sometimes in the menu, sometimes during map's load, sometimes after 5 mins of game or even 60 mins (my record). PRLauncher is able to change the Video.con file without problems. When I watch my profile folder when I hit Apply settings after i've changed my graphic options, I can see a Video.con.tmp file appears for 1 or 2 seconds then disappears. And the Video.con file is modified so, this is not a folder permission problem, otherwise it would happen at that moment.

The big question is, why is it trying to update the Video.con file while the game is running and without any interaction from the user in PRLauncher ? It makes no sense, it should only happen when the user hit Apply in PRLauncher. Nevertheless, a process is calling the setsettings methods in Reality.BF2.dll randomly it's sure. ATM, it's a code problem.

Quote:
They added some custom rules probably in some of the dll's to disable setting quality ( of something ) to Low to prevent certain advantages it gives, and that may be messing things up, but I dont understand why would that even be called if not touching video settings while playing?
What is the advantage for the person who is doing that ? You start your game with everything in Low and the result is the same. You can't change video settings when you are ingame anyway, you have to reload the map.

Note that this error occurs when the process is trying to delete Video.con.tmp. The UnauthorizedAccessException is threw for 4 reasons:

Quote:
The caller does not have the required permission.

-or-

The file is an executable file that is in use.

-or-

path is a directory.

-or-

path specified a read-only file.
So this is a problem with the attributes of the file Video.con.tmp and so this problem comes from the code.
Last edited by Olicarnage; 2015-11-03 at 21:51..
Old 2015-11-04, 00:05   #20
MaSSive

I think that any new file or folder placed in Documents defaults to read only, folders are always read only no matter what you do, on files it can be turned off manually. Sure again I talk about Win10 and without OeDrive.

So if this is true, there is the problem. The new file created as temporary file is set to read only and process cant delete it, or something in between those lines. Also as you say it is quite strange that process or library is triggering on its own creating this file and failing to remove it, causing crash. If they wanted to prevent setting something to Low, just do that in the launcher. Sure again skilled ones can bypass that and set it to low manually and perhaps that is what they thought of when theyve done it this way. I would rather set it to check the value before joining MP server and edit Video.con directly or moving Profiles out of Documents folder to install diretory or some other place.

I am not an expert in reading those C error codes but from what I can see this is something to be looked at asap and requires an urgent patch. It cant wait for new release...

I think the answer might be here partially

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...en-using-c-net

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

Might be that process itself it locking the file and need to unlock it first then set attributes properly and then execute the function to delete. It does not apply to folders just files.

CATA4TW!
― Otto von Bismarck
Last edited by MaSSive; 2015-11-04 at 00:18..

Tags
1.3.5, ctd