project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
15 Nov 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2010-02-24, 19:38   #1
Redamare
Supporting Member

Question What does the PR team need help with?

Looking through the community modding i found that there may be somthing that they need..

what is it the most that they are lacking , Mappers?, Modelers? , just support over all? ...
im not 100% sure how the system works but is it on the lines of a bunch of Devs getting togeather working on differnt projects?.

If more people knew how to model / map there would be alot more participation.

I wouldnt mind learning my self how to Map. I have a pretty goood idea how important balance is on a map and how to create a sucesful objective plan.
as of right now i am taking an Autocad course i am not quite sure what program is most used by the Dev team.

If you are a Dev or if you have any experiance please give some imput on how the rest of the community could help out.

Redamare is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 19:50   #2
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: What does the PR team need help with?

The way PR work as you know is the community is the mod. But only the community the works on the mod. The only difference between you and I (Dev's) is we stepped up and participated.

You ask what can you do. Well anything really. We always need more people do do things. To start a good thing would be to join the testing team as you get to see what goes on and we get to see what your dedication is.

I'll give you my Dev story. I started out just like everyone else a play. I tried to do a map a few times and failed. Then I had some time on my hands and laid down what I..not PR wanted in a map. And started working on it.

Here is the original link for Korengal and you can read through the progress (wasent a dev then): http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f354...-released.html

And thats how I ended up becoming a Dev. I didnt start working on PR I started working on my own project the PR just happen to like it

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
Last edited by CodeRedFox; 2010-02-24 at 20:01..
Old 2010-02-24, 19:53   #3
DankE_SPB
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to DankE_SPB Send a message via Skype™ to DankE_SPB

*following is my personal opinion*
it must be interesting for you in the 1st place, it might not be the top wanted skill for team, but if you're not interested in what you do, you will end up with getting bored half-way and drop the projects you started

and there is always something to do in all departments

[R-DEV]Z-trooper: you damn russian bear spy ;P - WWJND?
DankE_SPB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 20:03   #4
Redamare
Supporting Member

:O not a bad idea where can i sign up to be a tester? since i have 0 knowlege or know how on "creating"

Old 2010-02-24, 20:07   #5
Scot
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Scot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redamare View Post
:O not a bad idea where can i sign up to be a tester? since i have 0 knowlege or know how on "creating"
Testing applications are currently closed, due to the fact that a build was just released.

Scot is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 20:09   #6
Redamare
Supporting Member

okays sounds good ill keep my eyes out for anything cose to the time of the next release thenn.

Old 2010-02-24, 20:09   #7
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

Well before you just jump to the tester team (which I think is full) everything you want to know about mod, code, mapping is on this site and if not here we have links to. take some time in the community mod section. It comes down to you being proactive about it.

Modding is not easy...hell its not fun half the time but the results is what its all for.

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
CodeRedFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 20:31   #8
[R-COM]rushn
Support Technician
Supporting Member

what is fun>?
rushn is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 21:25   #9
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Really do some basic research on all the areas and see what takes your fancy. Testing isn't really a option tbh, everyone wants to "become" a tester so we have no shortages of that so looking into something that will help us more by crating something is far better.

Some areas you might want to look into:

Modelling - Basically crating the 3D object in a program like 3DsMax.
3D modeling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Texturing - Basically applying an image to a 3D Model, giving it colour, detail and even shape to some degree.
Texture mapping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Exporting - Basically taking the 3D Model, texture etc and getting it ingame and working (also see coding)

Coding - Basically coding something to work, can be normal BF2 engine code where you define how many mags a weapon has, how many rounds per min it can fire etc or something less limited like Python code.

Animation - Getting 3D objects moving ingame when triggered like a reload animation of a weapon.

2D Art Work - Basically crating things like HUDs, menu images etc. Basically pretty pictures for the most part

Mapping - Basically crating a level in which the player can play, everyone knows this one and most likley has the easiest learning curve (at least for BF2) with all the tutorials available now.

Think thous are the main areas.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 21:36   #10
addaco

Send a message via MSN to addaco

Well, I once was interested like the poster.

I first had a go at mapping, as it appeared to be a good wy to get involved. I quickly realised it was not for me, as I was making my (simple) maps very very linear, and quite boring. I was ok with the editor, but I couldnt get anything to look good, and I got fustrated pretty quicky with the buggy tool.

As past people have said, do things you enjoy and are interested in. I enjoyed making small fun maps, but I was not very good, and wasnt for me. I am currently thinking about learning to code, as I have HTML and C# knowledge (C# was on a summer project, but was good experience, and I learnt quickly). Also, python interacts with C/C++, so my C# experience will help.

Experiment is my word. Have a go at mapping, if you can produce good stuff, follow it mayby. If you are rubbish, dont be downheartened, its not for you, fact, and try something else.

Where would we all be if we didnt experiment?

addaco is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
team