project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
02 Mar 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2016-05-29, 13:12   #1
Rezza
Supporting Member

Default Discord (Free Voice and Text chat for Gamers)

Hey guys I thought I would share this application that I have grown to love and use! Discord is a free and quickly evolving voice and chat application that is taking over the market at a huge rate. If you want more information about it check the stuff below!

Discord is a free voice and text chat app designed specifically for gaming.

Discord was born out of our own frustrations with the voice and chat tools we all use while playing games. It's a bit strange that in 2015 most of us are using chat apps that haven't been updated in years to play games that are updated every week. We deserve better.

Discord brings gaming communication out of the stone age. It's free, easy to use, and with you even while you are AFK.

Discord Download Link: https://discordapp.com/download

--

Quote:
One year after its launch, Discord is the best VoIP service available

One year ago today, Discord launched as a free VoIP service with a single intention: dethrone the aging options that are still used today. It wasn't shy about it either? its tagline is literally ''It's time to ditch Skype and TeamSpeak'' and it had the quality and usability to back that talk up. Now, celebrating its first birthday, there isn't a VoIP option I'd rather use.

It's not that Mumble or TeamSpeak aren't still good options, it's just that Discord has made such an appealing service that I'm not sure why I would ever want to go back. The voice quality is crisper and clearer thanks to a more modern voice engine than what's used by the now decade-and-a-half-old choices like TeamSpeak and Ventrilo, and Discord is also significantly more lightweight. You don't need to host a server, download a program, or even sign up for an account; you just send a link out to the people you want to join, and they're there.
Source: One year after its launch, Discord is the best VoIP service available | PC Gamer

--

If you want to visit my Discord server use this link below:

discord.me/thesenate

Last edited by Rezza; 2016-05-30 at 16:53..
Old 2016-05-29, 15:19   #2
[R-DEV]​rPoXoTauJIo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Discord (Free Voice and Text chat for Gamers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezza View Post

If you want to visit my Discord server use this link below:

https://discord.gg/0jWMAOkBsjBjiiDZ
Small advice for this, use https://discord.me/ for cool link.

assetruler69: I've seen things you smurfs wouldn't believe. Apaches on the Kashan. I watched burned down tank hulls after the launch of the single TOW. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to give up and respawn.
rPoXoTauJIo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-30, 11:40   #3
Rezza
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rPoXoTauJIo View Post
Small advice for this, use https://discord.me/ for cool link.
Noice! Didn't know. Hope Discord spreads around this community too. It's on Star Citizen, Paradox and most other multiplayer games too!

Rezza is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-30, 12:22   #4
Wicca
Supporting Member

I use it!

So be warned!

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-30, 15:58   #5
Zrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicca View Post
I use it!
Well that settles it.

<3
Zrix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-30, 16:42   #6
Zeno

Me and Mitsu created the Squad Modding Hub on Discord, absolutely love it so far! We just reached 1000+ members just waiting for new features like 1/1 and groupchats, and subchannels
Zeno is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-30, 18:06   #7
Colonelbruno
Supporting Member

What about data security? They gotta sell your data, or how are they able to maintain their servers? :/

Colonelbruno is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-30, 18:18   #8
Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonelbruno View Post
What about data security? They gotta sell your data, or how are they able to maintain their servers? :/
Q (Ihm): What?s the plans as far as covering server costs and such go? You?ve said it?s free so how do you plan on covering costs and making money back?

A (Jason): So I?ll talk about how we plan to make money. Stan can talk about how much servers cost and scaling it.
Our plan is to keep the functionality -- the core usability -- free. So everything you?re using right now will stay free. Voice, text, mobile, all stay free. Almost all the new features will be free. Deep integrations and overlays and slash commands and bots -- all free.
Our plan is to sell optional cosmetic things. One example is what Stan just mentioned: TTS features like selling voice packs. Something like the Unreal Tournament announcer packs. Selling themes, sticker packs, fancy elaborate emoji, sound packs, different sound effects, etc, are still up in the air but it's what we?re planning to do.
As a note, part of the reason we?re not looking to make money right now is that we have raised funding from VCs in Silicon Valley. This is the second company I?ve started and the last one raised funding and did very well. We?re not stressed looking for money -- we?re focused on building an amazing product and bringing real value to you guys.
If we successfully deliver that we will figure out money next.
A (Stanislav): The first key thing to point out is that on Vent, Teamspeak, and Mumble, everyone has their own server. Discord works differently in that it?s very dynamic.
If no one on your server is online then the server doesn't exist. We use far less physical servers to solve the same problem. This cuts the cost down a lot. The tech Discord is built on currently uses far less bandwidth than what current voip solutions use. Bandwidth costs have gone down so much so that cost is currently not on our radar. Based on current estimations it's not gonna be much.
Q (gazihsah): How will you implement a ?freemium model? across multiple platforms?
A (Jason): On desktop apps, payment will be with credit cards and, on mobile, we?ll have in-app purchases. It?ll be just like you typically see on these platforms.
Source; http://blog.discordapp.com/2015-05-21-ama-transcript/
Zeno is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 12:32   #9
Rezza
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonelbruno View Post
lol. Love the instant personal conclusion.

Rezza is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 14:14   #10
KingLorre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicca View Post
I use it!

So be warned!
In that case I'm staying as far away from Discord as I possibly can.
KingLorre is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
chat, discord, free, gamers, text, voice