project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
25 Jul 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2020-08-20, 06:21   #1
Woxbel
Default Mumble showing names

Is it just me or is the name showing up for the person that is speaking to you on mumble become way less dependable since 1.6?

I am not sure about it, maybe it was always very sketchy and I never noticed. Recently I started playing with more randoms and some new/old guys again and have also started sling on occasion. I am very bad at keeping voices apart I have always been but with new guys being able to tell who is speaking to me becomes even more important.

It is hard to pin down why or how it is happening so I don’t really have examples or a way to reproduce it. I do think if someone's name is not showing up for me it will stay consistent that whole round.

If it is a known bug that can be easily fixed I would be glad to hear how to do so.
Woxbel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-20, 13:37   #2
LiPOTO

Default Re: Mumble showing names

I'm also interested to know this, it's always been a bit weird for me but since 1.6 it's taken on a whole new level, feels like 20% of the people speaking don't show up in the bottom left at all.
LiPOTO is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-20, 13:45   #3
[R-DEV]​Suchar
PR:BF2 Developer
Project Reality Beta Tester

It was a thing right after 1.6 release but it was fixed in 1.6.1

Suchar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-20, 17:12   #4
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchar View Post
It was a thing right after 1.6 release but it was fixed in 1.6.1
I do believe that these two gentlemen are reporting that it is not.

What you might mean to say is that it was supposed to be fixed in 1.6.1

if players are still getting this, it may warrant further investigation, no?

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-20, 17:29   #5
[R-DEV]​Suchar
PR:BF2 Developer
Project Reality Beta Tester

I haven't had this issue since then.

Suchar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-20, 17:45   #6
SemlerPDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchar View Post
I haven't had this issue since then.
Well, now you know... and knowing is half the battle!

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-23, 18:42   #7
Chefmoto
PR Server License Moderator

I have this issue when I first join a game sometimes, then the names start showing eventually.
Chefmoto is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-26, 12:13   #8
Filamu
Supporting Member

It seems to be a bigger issue earlier in the round. Maybe also easier to notice, but I feel that more show up later in the round as well.
Filamu is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-08, 18:13   #9
Danesh_italiano
Supporting Member

Still not able to see mumble icon from some people....

I only know that I know nothing. Só sei que nada sei. Sólo sé que no sé nada. So solo di non sapere nulla. Tantum scio me nihil scire. Je sais seulement que je ne sais rien. Tiedän vain, etten tiedä mitään. Ich weiss nur dass ich nichts weiss. Ek weet net dat ek niks weet nie. Wiem tylko, ?e nic nie wiem. Heoi ko ahau anake e mohio ana kahore au e mohio. Ngiyazi kuphela ukuthi angazi lutho.
Danesh_italiano is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-14, 14:30   #10
Grump/Gump.45

Talking Re: Mumble showing names

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemlerPDX View Post
I do believe that these two gentlemen are reporting that it is not.

What you might mean to say is that it was supposed to be fixed in 1.6.1

if players are still getting this, it may warrant further investigation, no?
For me it only happens when i first log on then as the day goes on everybody name eventually shows up, that is the case for me and heard from others too "it takes some time". Maybe it has something to do with joining different servers, or maybe i have seen names show up right away when everyone switches from FCV to GC after shutting down server. In honest opinion, if trying to fix this mumble "issue" is risky to cause more problems for it in future or cause it to shut down randomly again because something about joining a server has to do with it, just let it be and let the names eventually show up. Mumble very old set up right? I dont understand correlation between updating game to 1.6 and causing mumble issue directly, change one thing and something else totally separate has an issue is my basic understanding when it comes to computers. Most people who play infantry or not with their friends dont care who is talking. Its the asset guys who rage quit frequently who are more likely to have this issue for rejoining game multiple times per day.

Some people have different experience in frequency or understanding this mumble name issue causing them to be more likely to point it out because(WARNING:This goes off topic HERE-->) EVERYTIME that SOMEBODY dies in CAS they leave the game then rejoin later. So that means mumble name issue restarts every time they rejoin where names dont show up at first more often for them. Now on to the real issue WHY some PLAYERS experience it more often than others due to quitting then getting back on. Hope somebody learns to stay alive from this off topic mess so they dont rage quit.

Why do they rage quit? It is because the noobs FLY into ENEMY territory where ENEMY Anti-Air is up and assumed to be using the ENEMY CAS that inexperienced player is "hunting" while clueless to risks of doing that even after playing PR for 10+ years. Or worse when it isnt their fault because an infantry squad leader calling air strike too deep in enemy territory directly on the manned anti-air threat without telling the CAS its anti-air target manned ready to fire as it tries to bomb it. Instead of using the same tactics and strategy of baiting enemy jet into your anti air below, then rage quits because he never learns to not hunt ALL OVER THE MAP.

Sorry for going off topic slightly, just had to point out that secondary issue which makes the primary issue at hand here in this thread happen more frequently for those players. Quitting is a bad habit, turning game off in frustration without awareness or review of your own faults to learn from for next time is a bad habit. Hope at least one person reads this and disseminates this information. Hoping somebody learns from it making a more fun gameplay experience for pilots currently unaware of how they could die, including losing other squad mates CAS jets/choppers leaving them them the last friendly jet alive. Similar to the issue of taking the teams tanks around the map while enemy tanks go directly to flag or opposite edge of map direction.

Did I mention I'm a deadly SOB? Life is like a box of chocolates fool, you never know if its me till you break down that psychological warfare that done happened to you or your friendlies. Get to know me on the Squad v12 and Project Reality 1.5 teamwork playlist on YouTube for 20+ skills
Grump/Gump.45 is offline Reply With Quote