project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
14 Aug 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 10-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
TristanYockell
Supporting Member

Default [?] Simple reskinning question

Hey guys,

Ok heres the deal. All I want to do is change the color of the AK47 Wood so that it is more red, instead of the very weatherd color it is right now.

What settings do I save the reskin as through photoshop?. Also will it conflict with servers thinking that I am somehow cheating or not?.

It would be a very minor change, solely wood color preference, the rest of the guns textures would be the same.

Thanks for your time.
TristanYockell is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
Chuc
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to Chuc Send a message via Skype™ to Chuc
Default Re: Simple reskinning question

Unfortunately you won't be able to use your custom texture as it will conflict with the server's checks for file integrity, and will cause punkbuster to kick you. However it is a good opportunity to contribute or at least build your skills in texturing

Anyway, BF2 uses a image compression system called DirectX texture compression (DXTC), which requires a certain set of tools to create.

The tools are available here -
NVIDIA Texture Tools

When you set that up, you need to save the textures as DXT5 compression with mipmaps.

Personal Folio - http://www.studioash.net
Chuc is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #3
TristanYockell
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Chuc View Post
Unfortunately you won't be able to use your custom texture as it will conflict with the server's checks for file integrity, and will cause punkbuster to kick you. However it is a good opportunity to contribute or at least build your skills in texturing

Anyway, BF2 uses a image compression system called DirectX texture compression (DXTC), which requires a certain set of tools to create.

The tools are available here -
NVIDIA Texture Tools

When you set that up, you need to save the textures as DXT5 compression with mipmaps.
Hmmm While I am now very dissapointed that I can't use it online, I thank you for the information none the less.
TristanYockell is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:47 AM   #4
Vitiation

Hm.. weird.

A couple of builds ago i wrote my nick and clan tag on the M-16 and SKS, and it worked perfectly online, since i never actually changed the texture... i just added something to it.

ChiefRyza - Just because we don't have an R- tag or a big post count doesn't make us mentally challenged.
Vitiation is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
TristanYockell
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitiation View Post
Hm.. weird.

A couple of builds ago i wrote my nick and clan tag on the M-16 and SKS, and it worked perfectly online, since i never actually changed the texture... i just added something to it.

Thats basically what I wanted to do, was leave the original wood grain the same but lightly overlay it with Red.

EDIT: When I try to save now, even under DXT5, I'm not sure if I should use the one with interpolated alpha, or just the one saying using DXT5.

Also when I check off to use existing mipmaps, when I save it, its only now 683 kb's vs the original 1.3 megs.

Its obvious that I have no idea what I'm doing lol.
Last edited by TristanYockell; 10-26-2009 at 02:13 PM..

Tags
question, reskinning, simple