project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:BF2 Support
17 Aug 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Support Help and support regarding PR:BF2 installation and in-game issues

Old 06-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #11
bricenott
Thumbs up Problem fixed !!!

Guys, thanks for your all your answers but I coundn't wait any longer so I reinstalled everything in my F: partition and woala, it works... But of course you have to fix that little problem in the PR 0860 shortcut first and also update PB again (I'm doing it now) !!!

Zi8, by "everything" I mean, everything up to BF2, deleting even the EA directory (also I passed a registry tool cleaning program to fix any problem or garbage left there just in case)...

I'm going to play now !!!

WARDOG[Vnzla]
bricenott is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:25 AM   #12
bricenott
Smile Re: Read This If You Have Pr.exe problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Twisted Helix View Post
Ok bear with me ... dont go installing uninstalling things yet ... this could be a simple problem.

Right ... I think the problem might be the directories thing. Basically the problem of the null pointer is occuring because pr.exe tries to run bf2.exe ... but if it cant find it, then it returns a null pointer exception.

Now it looks for BF2 in one a few ways ... it looks for the install path in the registry first, and if it can't find it there it then tries to create the path by looking for the pr.exe and then looking 2 directories up from it.

So first thing ... go to START>>RUN

and type in "regedit" <enter>

Then in your registry go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2 ,

Or it might be something like that ....

Look for the key that says InstallDir ... and tell me what it says ?

This goes for you too bricenott, as I think your problem is the same. Its not actually a .NET error I dont think, its just a simple programming glitch (I tried to cover every eventuality of how people would have BF2 installed ... but foreign languages are one that didn't occur to me ). IF we can't fix it locally on your systems ... I will definitely fix it for the next patch , I would just whip you up a new exe right now that solved your particular problem but it would fail the md5 checks I think when you tried to join a server

(however I might have a cunning way to work around that ... but its a last resort ... might not work either ... and its a bit dodgy )
In my case language is not a problem 'cause I have everything in english... But I also think the problem was not related to a .NET error but the directory thing in the registry, so zi8 has to keep looking there or reinstall again, like me !!! Thankz @ lot Twisted !!!
bricenott is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #13
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Read This If You Have Pr.exe problems

Nice one Bricenot ... thats pretty much how it should be. If you install everything from scratch ... and if you install it in a different drive or something, you make sure that you install it to that drive via the installer menu, then it should put the correct entry in your registry for you. If the correct entry is in the registry then there should be no problems.

As an extra piece of advice, try not to install it to a custom start menu location, but to the default one. Although I don't think it causes problems on XP , on Vista it seems to install the registry key to a weird place that pr.exe cant find.

And yes ... if there are any 'ghost' entries for BF2 in your registry, they will cock things up. So uninstall and then clean your registry of all references to BF2 is a good move. Look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ , and also in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software, for EA GAMES/Battlefield 2 entries.
Twisted Helix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #14
ShoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Twisted Helix View Post
Hmm. What is your system ? Are you using the EA downloader or CD version of BF2 ? What is your directory path to game ? What is the directory path to your profiles directory ?

Try deleting your profiles and then recovering them (use vanilla BF2 to do this if you can't get PR started). Close everything down and rerun pr.exe.

Also try running pr.exe directly from the mods/pr folder without a shortcut and see what happens ?
System:
XP SP3
.NET 3.5 SP1
Core2Duo E6400
ATi X1950XT
2 GB RAM

CD Version

Directory Path:
E:\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\pr

Profiles:
Uhm... i don´t really know... theres nothing really in the folder it should be (My Documents) i also got another profile folder at a different place with 001, 002, 003 in it (is this correct)?.. so anyway, i deleted and then recovered them, nothing changed..

I often tried running pr.exe directly from the mods/pr folder, theres no difference to the shortcut.

I also found another "problem", i runned vanilla BF2 for testing and saw that it´s just on 1.1... but i patched it to 1.41. Don´t know where it´s exactly patching...
Because it´s possible that there are some other BF2-related folders which are outdated and so on...
ShoX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #15
Zi8

Brilliant!

Quote:
So first thing ... go to START>>RUN

and type in "regedit" <enter>

Then in your registry go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2 ,

Or it might be something like that ....

Look for the key that says InstallDir ... and tell me what it says ?
It said E:\Pelit\BF2\ (for no obvious reason, never installed it on that disk) so I changed that back to D:\.

Now BF2 starts when running the pr.exe but I fixed it by adding +modPath mods/pr and voila.

Thank you very much This will be a 99% sure solution for the rest of us who have the same problem

Mods or OP, can you paste these answers to the first post so people with the same issue can solve it

Thanks once more Twisted

Last edited by Zi8; 06-22-2009 at 11:37 AM..
Old 06-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #16
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

You're welcome Zi8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoX View Post
Directory Path:
E:\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\pr
Check your registry , like I explained how to do in the post below yours. It might be you have the same problem as Zi8.

Quote:
Profiles:
Uhm... i don´t really know... theres nothing really in the folder it should be (My Documents) i also got another profile folder at a different place with 001, 002, 003 in it (is this correct)?.. so anyway, i deleted and then recovered them, nothing changed..

I often tried running pr.exe directly from the mods/pr folder, theres no difference to the shortcut.
This is definitely an error to do with the profiles and I think it is linked to this below ...

Quote:
I also found another "problem", i runned vanilla BF2 for testing and saw that it´s just on 1.1... but i patched it to 1.41. Don´t know where it´s exactly patching...
Because it´s possible that there are some other BF2-related folders which are outdated and so on...
Yes this would cause a problem.

Are you happy mucking about in the registry ? If not ... then use a registry cleaner, but what I am about to explain is pretty simple.

First uninstall all BF2 and PR stuff. Delete all folders that have anything to do with them including all the folders related to BF2 in your MyDocuments (that is all your profiles etc).

Then ... go into your registry (START>>RUN [type] "regedit" <enter>), look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ , and also in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software, for EA GAMES/Battlefield 2 entries, and delete them. Anything referring to BF2 at al ... delete.

Now REBOOT your machine.

Install BF2 ... preferably to the default directory , not changing any install parameters if possible. Patch BF2 --> 1.41.

REBOOT your machine.

Now install PR.

Pray to your favourite deity ... then hopefully ... play.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #17
ShoX

OMG.

It´s still not working... i made this: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f360...t-working.html

I left out the PB Things and the longish guide but thats not gonna be the point i think..

Directory now:
E:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\pr

I also played a round vanilla BF2 1.41.. that works.
I also tested again some Project Reality 0860 Shortcut Targets... no change, everytime the same error.
But theres still just the "BattleCommo..." thing in the profile folder in my documents..
Last edited by ShoX; 06-22-2009 at 03:28 PM..
Old 06-23-2009, 12:37 AM   #18
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoX View Post
I also tested again some Project Reality 0860 Shortcut Targets... no change, everytime the same error.
What is the error ?

Quote:
But theres still just the "BattleCommo..." thing in the profile folder in my documents..
Are you saying you have no profiles in your profiles folder ? How did you manage to play vanilla ?
Old 06-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #19
ShoX

OLOL I FIXED IT!!!!!

Woohoo! And it was so easy...
It was that Profile Thing... before it was: C:\Documents and Settings\ShoX\My Documents\ANOTHER FOLDER\Battlefield 2

So the Target for the Profiles under My Documents was wrong... i made this some time ago with the Target: under My Documents Settings.
So i fixed it and deleted the Profile Folder, recovered my Account and it works!

Thanks to everyone who helped (even at my other Problem)!

ShoX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #20
paulthenoob

"C:\GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\pr\pr.exe" +modPath mods/pr +config +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +widescreen +szx 1440 +szy 900
Argh it doesn't work it just comes up with an warning message saying the target box is invalid and that i should make sure the path and file name correct? wtf?
Sorry I have a very limited (none) knowledge of coding and shizzle so could you put it in dumb language for me ?
thanks
paulthenoob is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
prexe, problems, read