project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:BF2 Support
19 Oct 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Support Help and support regarding PR:BF2 installation and in-game issues

Old 2009-06-21, 10:47   #1
LechHools
Banned
Default Pr.exe problems

Hi all i had problem with pr.exe like i said before in my old post and now i know how to fix this so here it is.

1. Uinstall PR
2.Install PR 0.860 Core And Levels
3.When u installed it RESTART Your computer
4.You will have a shortcut on the desktop named like this "Project Reality 0860"
5.Press right mouse button on it and click properties and change
the first thing to this :
Code:
"C:\GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\pr\pr.exe" +modPath mods/pr +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +widescreen +szx 1440 +szy 900
And Start In :
Code:
"C:\GAMES\Battlefield 2"
Now IF u have problem the same problem with Combined Arms try this to ur shortcut
Code:
"C:\Games\Battlefield 2\mods\pr_ca\pr.exe" +modPath mods/pr_ca +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1440 +szy 900
Start In:
Code:
"C:\Games\Battlefield 2"
6. Only what You have to do is change direcotry where Your BF2 and Your screen resolution (or delete it if u have small resolution that is in BF2 settings.

Worked for me
PS: Now i can play YAY !!!!
Last edited by LechHools; 2009-08-23 at 18:46..
Old 2009-06-21, 11:16   #2
Darkpowder

Default Re: Read This If You Have Pr.exe problems

I'm glad this has been posted, but i did post this yesterday already.

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27-...ml#post1060474

Darkpowder is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 11:35   #3
Zi8

Didn't help.

I downloaded the full install for PR last night since the patch didn't work and uninstalled all things related to the PR and Net Framework.

Installed Core, Levels, Net 3.5 -> Still error when trying to run the exe!!

What can be wrong with this? Is there some major bug in this which prevents people with certain OS / settings to run the exe or what?

Zi8 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 15:23   #4
ShoX

Well, after i killed my other problem with this, theres a new: I made everything like you said, but after i logged in theres the "You must use the pr.exe to start PR" error...

I got on my Project Reality 0860 icon:

Quote:
"E:\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\pr\pr.exe" +modPath mods/pr +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 1024
Quote:
"e:\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2"
ShoX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 15:23   #5
Dempsey

TFail. It says the Pr bit is invalid.......

Ok i've sorted it, thanks for the help, although i ahd to change a few things.
Last edited by Dempsey; 2009-06-21 at 17:16..
Old 2009-06-21, 15:47   #6
Zi8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoX View Post
Well, after i killed my other problem with this, theres a new: I made everything like you said, but after i logged in theres the "You must use the pr.exe to start PR" error...

I got on my Project Reality 0860 icon:
Perhaps the problem is that you have small "e:\" there? It should be capital E:\?

I'm still unable to play this because of the error in the exe, I hope the DEVs could check this problem and tell the solution...

Zi8 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-22, 03:36   #7
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zi8 View Post
Installed Core, Levels, Net 3.5 -> Still error when trying to run the exe!!
Make sure your .NET is updated to 3.5 SP1.
Twisted Helix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-22, 12:01   #8
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
It is. I performed yet another re-install for everything without any visual problems and the error message (system.nullreferenceexception) keeps still coming when trying to run the pr.exe. It doesn't matter whether I run it from the mods/pr/ or from the desktop.

My os is XP with SP3 if it makes any difference. I don't know what to try anymore
Can you turn windows reporting on and post the exact details of the error message ?

We had a similar problem like this in beta testing and it turned out it was because someone was using the EA downloader version of BF2. However I solved that little problem ... so I am curious as to what might be causing it for you ...

Give me the exact directory for your BF2 installation, the exact directory for your profiles, are you using the BF2 version from the CD or are you using a downloader version ? Have you ever installed the BF 1.5 beta patch ?

If we can't find a solution then someone might have to remote desktop into your system to see if we can figure out why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricenott
- I have BF2 installed in a standalone primary partition F: could this cause any problem for this new PR instalation?
Yup it sure will. If installing it to the default directory is too much trouble, then check your shortcut and report its properties and target to me ?

Also if you are getting a .NET 2.0 runtime error ... it suggests you dont have .NET 3.5 installed ? (however it might be because its just a .NET 2.0 method that is causing the error)

<sigh> .NET is supposed to solve all these issues .... but I guess that is Microshaft for you.

I will try to see if I can work out why these issues are happening.
Last edited by Twisted Helix; 2009-06-22 at 12:08..
Old 2009-06-22, 12:04   #9
Zi8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricenott View Post
>>>Zi8 my problem is the same than yours, I was going to reload BF2 from scratch, but if you did it and it didn't work I'll wait for something else, also I did reinstall 1.4 patch, PR and .NET 3.5 and didn't work plus BF2 works perfectly... I'll give you my specs so we could compare:

- I also have XP SP3,
- MB Gigabyte X38T-DQ6
- E6850 Intel
- Nvidia 8800 GTS 512
- 4 Gb physical (XP says 2.5Gb)
- I have BF2 installed in a standalone primary partition F: could this cause any problem for this new PR instalation?

This is the error in the event viewer (is it the same as yours?)

.NET Runtime 2.0 Error (name in the window)
EventType clr20r3,
P1 pr.exe,
P2 0.0.0.0,
P3 4a066ac7,
P4 projectreality,
P5 1.0.3417.10467,
P6 4a066ac7,
P7 c4,
P8 a6f,
P9 system.nullreferenceexception,
P10 NIL.

Somebody knows what the P's mean ?
Yea I have exactly the same error in the Event Viewer and I also don't have the BF2 + PR installed on the default directory (c:\program files\etc).

I don't know if that can cause any problems, but I can't test that since I don't have enough space on my C:\ to try it out.

E6420, 2GB, P5k, x1950pro so our parts are not similar.

This is so annoying

EDIT: Hold on Twisted Helix, gathering information!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, here's the picture from the Event Viewer and the error when trying to run the pr.exe:

http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=4397679.jpg (Ignore the Application hangs, they are BF2 Rcon crashing)

I also have .NET 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 & 3.5 SP1 installed according to my Add/Remove Programs. However, I'm unable to uninstall 2.0. It just gives error message and tells that it cannot be done. Could this be the solution? But how can I remove it and install the complete 3.5 then?

File locations:

D:\Pelit\BF2\

C:\Documents and Settings\Tatu\My Documents\Battlefield 2\ For the profiles

I've installed BF2 from the retail CD and applied the patches for it. Never tried the 1.5 patch.

It's rather hard to try to install them to the default directiories since I don't have enough space on my C:\ so I'm hoping that the issue is with that .NET

Last edited by Zi8; 2009-06-22 at 12:22..
Old 2009-06-22, 12:57   #10
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Ok bear with me ... dont go installing uninstalling things yet ... this could be a simple problem.

Quote:
File locations:

D:\Pelit\BF2\

C:\Documents and Settings\Tatu\My Documents\Battlefield 2\ For the profiles

I've installed BF2 from the retail CD and applied the patches for it. Never tried the 1.5 patch.

It's rather hard to try to install them to the default directiories since I don't have enough space on my C:\ so I'm hoping that the issue is with that .NET
Right ... I think the problem might be the directories thing. Basically the problem of the null pointer is occuring because pr.exe tries to run bf2.exe ... but if it cant find it, then it returns a null pointer exception.

Now it looks for BF2 in one a few ways ... it looks for the install path in the registry first, and if it can't find it there it then tries to create the path by looking for the pr.exe and then looking 2 directories up from it.

So first thing ... go to START>>RUN

and type in "regedit" <enter>

Then in your registry go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2 ,

Or it might be something like that ....

Look for the key that says InstallDir ... and tell me what it says ?

This goes for you too bricenott, as I think your problem is the same. Its not actually a .NET error I dont think, its just a simple programming glitch (I tried to cover every eventuality of how people would have BF2 installed ... but foreign languages are one that didn't occur to me ). IF we can't fix it locally on your systems ... I will definitely fix it for the next patch , I would just whip you up a new exe right now that solved your particular problem but it would fail the md5 checks I think when you tried to join a server

(however I might have a cunning way to work around that ... but its a last resort ... might not work either ... and its a bit dodgy )
Last edited by Twisted Helix; 2009-06-22 at 13:03..

Tags
prexe, problems, read