project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
02 Dec 2022, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2022-06-30, 22:03   #1
[R-COM]ismaelassassin
Chilean Forces 1978
Supporting Member

Post Make ARF speak French

Right now there is too many factions speaking Arab on the game:
ARF, HAMAS, Iraqi Insurgents, Taliban(bruh), FSA, and MEC, and MEC already acts as a fill-in role for arabic african nations such as Egypt and Libya.
A lot of the african countries are former French colonies and seeing as several of the current african insurgent groups are in those countries, why not make the ARF speak french?
ismaelassassin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-01, 11:18   #2
[R-DEV]​Suchar
PR:BF2 Developer
Project Reality Beta Tester
Default Re: Make ARF speak French

ARF speaking French in Somalia makes absolutely 0 sense. Arabic has a similar role to the role of Latin in medieval Europe. I think the choice is quite obvious.

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/uploads/signatures/sigpic98978_4.gif

Secret link last updated: 12th Oct 2022
Suchar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-01, 11:54   #3
[R-COM]ismaelassassin
Chilean Forces 1978
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchar View Post
ARF speaking French in Somalia makes absolutely 0 sense. Arabic has a similar role to the role of Latin in medieval Europe. I think the choice is quite obvious.
I mean true but factions such as Militia and Taliban already speak the wrong language in their location so maybe have it as creative freedom that they speak french in ramiel
(Unless its possible to make them speak different languages depending on the map?)
But still, Africa is the continent with the most french speakers in the world and there are way more french speaking countries than arab speaking african countries so it would be nice to represent that in the ARF
ismaelassassin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-01, 12:01   #4
[R-MOD]Nate.
Forum Moderator
Project Reality Beta Tester
Supporting Member

Should definitely stay Arab on Ramiel, even though they technically should speak Somali.

As for Sahel, it would make more sense, although the current conflicts in which France is involved (e.g. in Northern Mali) has a lot of Tuareg and Arab-speaking groups, so it actually makes sense that they speak Arabic even on a map like Sahel.

Nate. is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-09, 15:03   #5
Operator_Max1993

agreed, alot of the unconventional factions speak arab, and it would make sense if the ARF spoke like Somali or French (like in Congo)
Operator_Max1993 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-09, 15:33   #6
Coalz101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator_Max1993 View Post
agreed, alot of the unconventional factions speak arab, and it would make sense if the ARF spoke like Somali or French (like in Congo)
Who's gonna voice it? does anyone speak somali?

Coalz101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-17, 07:32   #7
spacemarine42

Smile Re: Make ARF speak French

I second this suggestion! In fact, I modded my personal pr_edit so that ARF speak French. It's not very accurate for Ramiel, but it makes perfect sense for Sahel or any other region where French is a lingua franca, like Cote d'Ivoire or the DRC.
spacemarine42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-19, 20:40   #8
Grump/Gump.45

If they speak French I promise you its still with a different sounding dialect and accent. You can't just throw the European French voice actor over the ARF, it won't sound or feel right. Its hard to describe.

Like the way I speak English in suburban America sounds different than if you go to the hood. Mine comes out smooth, I use the whole word with minimal slang, I even try to sound friendly.

Why people sound different when they speak under the same languages but different regions. Genetics of the vocal chords. For men another would be cultural masculinity forming the accent, which masculine culture is bigger in the lawless jungle/desert regions. Compared to the more established urban ones of Europe with law and order not requiring such an abrasive accent to sound tough.

As an American, I feel when I speak its just the sound of my voice, plus the sound of the word with no added other noise in the way I say it. I know this to be true because I can mimic any regional accent I hear in both English and the accents origin language. Even if you don't know the words to a language you can know what language somebody is speaking if you know the accent, people know accents more than they do words of other languages.

So imagine an African knowing French but not using the accent that came with it, accent has its own regional influences. My favorite way to learn language from another person is hold something up and say "en Espanol?" then I give the english word once they tell me what it is.

French spoken by African is not the same as French spoken by a European. It sounds different for many reasons.
Grump/Gump.45 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-23, 13:30   #9
WingWalker

I literally have never noticed...

W.W.
v0.4
WingWalker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-01, 11:10   #10
Operator_Max1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalz101 View Post
Who's gonna voice it? does anyone speak somali?
not sure who
but again, up to the PR Gods to decide
Operator_Max1993 is offline Reply With Quote