project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback
14 Dec 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Feedback Post your feedback on the current Project Reality release (including SinglePlayer).

View Poll Results: Your opinion on the new 0.917 rally point change?
I love it 91 37.92%
I like it but it has issues [explain] 17 7.08%
I like it but the community is having a hard time using it 28 11.67%
Whatever, the game evolves every version 47 19.58%
I dont like it and the community is having a hard time using it 28 11.67%
I dont like it at all [explain] 12 5.00%
I hate it, it doesnt work, destroys gameplay [explain 17 7.08%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-14, 07:41   #1
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

Default Your opinion on the new 0.91 rally point change?

Your opinion on the new 0.91 rally point change?

This poll doesn't represent the community as a whole and does not sway the DEV's decisions. It only serves as a place to voice your opinions of the new rally point system. And really you can bitch and complain but this is really only a place to express your opinions.

Keep it civil, keep it relevant, keep it sourced.

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
Last edited by Dunehunter; 2010-04-14 at 11:54..
Old 2010-04-14, 07:45   #2
Sgt.BountyOrig

Default Re: Your opinion on the new 0.91 rally point change?

I just cant get used to bags suddenly dissapearing with no reason after a certain timeframe, its also hard to be able to deploy to areas far away from main on any map because firebases are usually in obsecure locations for use by longrange personnel and not frontline infantry.

But maybe thats just me, perhaps people are able to get a ride to the front unlike me, because im a chocolate bar.

[NO] Bounty
Old 2010-04-14, 07:58   #3
Fess|3-5|

I really preferred the old system. Yes there are more firebases on maps, but as soon as the enemy has an idea where it is, they will know where everyone is going to come from. With Rally Points, there's always the unknown you have to worry about. Plus, it added a sense of finality that after you had battled an enemy squad through maybe 2-3 waves, to finally see their rally go down made you feel accomplished.

Also, there may be an "abundance of transportation" on paper, but no matter how hard you try, APC's don't deliver, Helicopters crash, and Jeeps/trucks get left in the open. Firebases are often either not where your squad wants to be, under attack, or far from the action. Every single round I've played on Yamalia and Silent Eagle, I've found myself having to cross over a kilometer to join the battle, multiple times, only to fight for maybe 5 minutes before I have to repeat. That's not gameplay, that's not fun, that's a chore.

The new medic system with the 5 minute wait helps, but there are always situations in which you simply can't get a revive. You've been killed twice in 2 minutes from bad luck, you died on a ladder/water, your body is stuck, they can't find your body, your medic is down, blue medics won't listen, etc.... Rally points help maintain squad cohesion. In previous versions, squads were more likely to stick together when they'd move their way from rally point drop to rally point drop. Now there's no real motivation to stay with your squad, from a spawning perspective.

PR is about squad warfare, plain and simple. It might have great vehicle battles, cool maps, new guns, increased immersion, but at it's heart it's still squad vs squad infantry combat, because that's what win's battles, and that's what is fun and never repetitive. The Rally point helps the squad, and keeps at least some gameplay elements in what in the end is just a video game.

Old 2010-04-14, 08:07   #4
gazzthompson

Love it, but then i loved .9's change and feel this is a happy medium between the two.

Old 2010-04-14, 09:48   #5
manligheten

I don't like that the SL need to stay back with a guy as a mobile spawn point as in PR 0.5. The SL should lead not stay back.
Old 2010-04-14, 09:54   #6
gazzthompson

As an avid squad leader, i lead all the time still.

.9 meant you could lead fully, previous version still put to much emphasis on SL as a spawn and now its a good happy medium.

Old 2010-04-14, 10:10   #7
Dunehunter
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Dunehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]CodeRedFox View Post
Your opinion on the new 0.91 rally point change?

This poll doesn't represent the community as a whole and does not sway the DEV's decisions. It only serves as a place to voice your opinions of the new rally point system. And really you can bitch and complain but this is really only a place to express your opinions.

Keep it civil, keep it relevant, keep it sourced.
Or we bring the pain

[R-MOD]Jigsaw] I am drunk. I decided to come home early because I can''t realy seea nyithng. I hthknk i madea bad choicce.
Old 2010-04-14, 11:06   #8
00SoldierofFortune00

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzthompson View Post
As an avid squad leader, i lead all the time still.

.9 meant you could lead fully, previous version still put to much emphasis on SL as a spawn and now its a good happy medium.
.9 didn't mean you could fully lead. It was a major step down from 0.87 for the SL because it basically meant you couldn't lead your squad from the front (not literally in front btw). If you think 0.9 was a step up from 0.87 for the SL, than you are basically admitting the RP was useless since there is no way it benefitted a SL personally or his job in anyway.

0.91 is definately an improvement over .9, but 10 minutes is still a long time, even in PR time. I thought at first it would fly by because of PR time, but when you think about it, most games last generally around 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. So that gives you around 6-9 spawns in total. That's not many at all when you think about it and the 10 minutes spaced inbetween them because the average player will die around 5-10+ times during a game. And a lot of those spawns will be used for new players who join your squad mid game. Should you deny them a respawn?

"Push the Envelope, Watch It Bend"

Tool ~ Lateralus
Old 2010-04-14, 11:15   #9
Web_cole
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Web_cole

I agree with gazz: happy medium.
Old 2010-04-14, 11:38   #10
gazzthompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00SoldierofFortune00 View Post
9 didn't mean you could fully lead. It was a major step down from 0.87 for the SL because it basically meant you couldn't lead your squad from the front (not literally in front btw). If you think 0.9 was a step up from 0.87 for the SL, than you are basically admitting the RP was useless since there is no way it benefitted a SL personally or his job in anyway.

0.91 is definately an improvement over .9, but 10 minutes is still a long time, even in PR time. I thought at first it would fly by because of PR time, but when you think about it, most games last generally around 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. So that gives you around 6-9 spawns in total. That's not many at all when you think about it and the 10 minutes spaced inbetween them because the average player will die around 5-10+ times during a game. And a lot of those spawns will be used for new players who join your squad mid game. Should you deny them a respawn?
First paragraph: don't really understand the logic behind that

Second paragraph: I find 10 mins to be perfect time, if you need to set an RP the chances are you have been engaged and lost some guys and have retreated. You then should be avoiding contact for 10 mins, which IMO is not long considering you should be a good distance from the enemy as you have lost the initial fight and considering a new attack plan/calling for backup/GTFO as the enemy is outnumbering/gunning you. And that 10 mins wait is under the assumption that there isnt a firebase nearby which is within 10 mins walk (and 10 mins walk in game is alot of the map)

As for new playings joining the game the most extrema case is he will wait 10 mins to spawn , assuming you just that second set an RP.The most likely he will have to wait 3-4~ mins for it to recharge or a walk from a nearby firebase will beat the recharge time, or even more likely its already recharged.

Closed Thread

Tags
091, change, opinion, point, rally