project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
09 Dec 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2015-01-06, 16:46   #1
-SPITFIRE-

Default 12/8 squad members + mumble local speeching enemies? (NOT A SUGGESTION)

I remember playing some 128/200 players PR stress test and I also remember somehow the DEVs managed to increase the number of how many players a squad can accommodate. I've also played PR a long time ago, and I remember how we used to listen to friendly and foe during the battle. Now that's all gone. But is that true?

I've decided to play karbala in a russian server. I've noticed most of the squads were 9/8, 10/8. I thought it was a squad bug, so I decided to ignore it. After a cache down, the entire team pulled back and I decided to wait for a while. Then, out of nowhere, I heard a conversation. I checked the map, and there was no friendlies. The closest friendly was around 300m away.
My squad members were not talking, at all. Then I scanned my surrounds and I noticed two insurgents. they were talking, facing each other. I was hearing the enemy! Suddenly, I checked my squad to know if I was listening to my squad on local, due to some bug, then i noticed something else. There was around 3 squads with 12/8 members. I tried to join, and 12 was the max it can support.

Is more than 8 squad members + hearing the enemy an admin option thing? Why only russian servers have it?
-SPITFIRE- is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-06, 20:42   #2
Anderson29
Supporting Member

Default Re: 12/8 squad members + mumble local speeching enemies? (NOT A SUGGESTION)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SPITFIRE- View Post
Why only russian servers have it?
cuz putin said that is the way pr should be and then it became so.

in-game name : Anderson2981
steam : Anderson2981
Anderson29 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-06, 20:53   #3
[R-DEV]​Ratface
PR:BF2 Developer

Default Re: 12/8 squad members + mumble local speeching enemies? (NOT A SUGGESTION)

Before mumble was integrated to work with the PR launcher, you could switch into the enemy's mumble channel, sometimes they did this for events (such as the halloween event), but typically it was "against the rules" in a lot of servers. While being in another channel, you could also only hear people in that channel.

Other than that I don't think that has ever been a feature, at least in the new version of mumble that came integrated with the launcher. As for the 12 man squads, that was just put in so that everone could be in a squad for 128/200 player events, it is not a normal PR feature.

Ratface is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-08, 11:06   #4
Abchaz

You can speak with your enemy using local in russian server. The most hilarious thing is when you attack the cache, die close to it and tell enemy insurgents wrong information and because of that everyone dies and you can safely destroy the cache Local speech with your enemy and 10/8 squads is a feature in #RUPRC /Public/ server. Due to the local speech feature there are interesting aftermatch discussions with your enemy.

Abchaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-08, 11:19   #5
Brainlaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratface View Post
Before mumble was integrated to work with the PR launcher, you could switch into the enemy's mumble channel, sometimes they did this for events (such as the halloween event), but typically it was "against the rules" in a lot of servers. While being in another channel, you could also only hear people in that channel.

Other than that I don't think that has ever been a feature, at least in the new version of mumble that came integrated with the launcher. As for the 12 man squads, that was just put in so that everone could be in a squad for 128/200 player events, it is not a normal PR feature.
Wrong, back in the 0.5 beta days Mumble had the universal comm function enabled for local chat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson29 View Post
cuz putin said that is the way pr should be and then it became so.
So say we all.
Brainlaag is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-08, 11:33   #6
[R-DEV]​AfterDune
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Na, not the 0.5 days, nobody used Mumble back then. Was much later.

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-08, 11:42   #7
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Was around v0.85 or v0.9 people started to use mumble.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-08, 12:06   #8
Brainlaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AfterDune View Post
Na, not the 0.5 days, nobody used Mumble back then. Was much later.
The 0.5 Beta version of Mumble
Brainlaag is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-08, 13:17   #9
[R-DEV]​AfterDune
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Ahh, righto!

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-08, 13:23   #10
-SPITFIRE-

Hearing the enemy can corruot the gameplay, mainly INS layouts. However, I think the 10/8 squad is an advantage. Admins should think about it

Is there any other detail i've missing between the servers?
-SPITFIRE- is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
12 or 8, enemies, local, members, mumble, speeching, squad, suggestion