project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
13 Dec 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2018-06-26, 09:58   #11
InfantryGamer42
Default Re: SAAREEMA 8km modding suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeneraLuna View Post
falklands has og but i think it is only inside the 4km/3km area center of the map
I dont think so. But only Rhino can confirme or denied.
InfantryGamer42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-26, 10:55   #12
[R-DEV]​AfterDune
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Falklands has hand placed trees, not using the "overgrowth" tool from the editor.

Falklands doesn't have actual terrain, like the other maps (and you can only use under- and overgrowth on terrain). The terrain you see is all made of staticobjects.

You can't simply "convert" a map to be 8km.

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-26, 11:07   #13
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Firstly GAJAN, I think I speak for everyone when I say we are all sick and tired of your "suggestions" and ones outside of the suggestions forums like this one is.

Pretty much everything you have suggested before now is pretty obvious stuff and/or has not been done simply down to resources. So unless you plan on doing it yourself, like this "8km Saareema" map, don't bother even posting about it as no one is going to make it for you...

Also if you have any suggestions that after thinking twice before and searching the forums for that you really don't think has been considered before, post them in the suggestions forums and then if they are really something that hasn't been considered before then we will approve the suggestion but still, no guarantee that we will have the time to implement it, we are all very busy people so again, if you really want something to get into PR, do it yourself, as has every other Dev/Con has in the past who have wanted to see something new in PR, including me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfantryGamer42 View Post
I dont think so. But only Rhino can confirme or denied.
Overgrowth isn't an issue but it can't be placed using the overgrowth tool (ie, generated to go over areas of terrain) and must all be separate static objects (but if you know what your doing you can use 3DsMax to place overgrowth over the terrain or use other tools to do it).

The biggest issue with using "mesh terrain" (ie, terrain made from staticobject meshes), is that you can't use Undergrowth, ie, grass on the terrain, which is why the Falklands terrain has no grass on it. There might be a slight way around this by making overgrowth grass (similar to the overgrowth fields we use on some maps) but that is pretty complicated to do (as is the whole system of mesh terrains, it requires someone to have a very good understanding of the BF2 staticmesh system, exporting statics fully and also into the details of how to make maps, although easier for someone to pick up if they reverse-engineer the system I made from the Falklands)

If you really wanted jets on Saareema then your better option is to simply put carriers outside of the minimap area, similar to how on the Falklands the British Carrier and Argentina are outside of the minimap area (which effectively actually makes the Falklands a 16km map btw, just the minimap area is 8km) and remove the DoD so jets can fly outside of the map borders.
The biggest issue with this idea however is the Russians do not have an aircraft carrier model to launch aircraft from.... or you would have to make a mesh terrain land base off the coast of the island, but then still the only carrier the US has is the Essex which only means Harriers anyways, unless you where to give them a land base off the other coast too.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-26, 20:39   #14
agus92

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterDune View Post
Falklands has hand placed trees, not using the "overgrowth" tool from the editor.

Falklands doesn't have actual terrain, like the other maps (and you can only use under- and overgrowth on terrain). The terrain you see is all made of staticobjects.

You can't simply "convert" a map to be 8km.
Wrong.

"Convert to 8km" button is right next to "Port to Unreal Engine 4" button. How come you keep missing it all these years? Infuriating.

agus92 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 01:21   #15
[R-DEV]​Mr.VdHeide

Quote:
Originally Posted by agus92 View Post
Wrong.

"Convert to 8km" button is right next to "Port to Unreal Engine 4" button. How come you keep missing it all these years? Infuriating.

Finaly found the implement fast rope button as well.

D.J.

Mr.VdHeide is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 09:29   #16
GAJAN

Rhino and whole DEV, I saw sareema as most easiest way to make map, I didnt know is it possible or no, I even writed that. The thing is PR offers so much assets then every game right now, and they are not used enough (especially in 16/8km maps which we dont have). Four jets on one 8km/16km map is something unusual and unique, same as Falklands CAS. First jets must take off from real airstrip which is of course far away, second they are visible from ground (1200m on falklands). I suggest airstrips for both sides. I know how mcuh is harrier slow compared to RU jets so it is totally not balanced. I dont suggest for me Rhino I suggest for PR, this not my forum it is from PR. That all, have a nice day.

And yeah, I forgot, DEVS if you are working on release ww2 mod, ok. Someone will probably start doing this I dont care, we just need more big maps like falklads but with more space for infrantry. I say this last time, assets are not used enough. We have enough 2 km and 4 km maps, go for something bigger
Last edited by GAJAN; 2018-06-27 at 09:35..
Old 2018-06-27, 13:41   #17
PatrickLA_CA

GAJAN, you are missing the point here. Please read Rhino's post again. You keep suggesting stuff but never showing your work, even worse, you're doing it outside of the suggestions forum. The DEVs do not have a job at PR, they simply had an idea they wanted to see in PR and got their hands on it.

BF2 Editor

Setting up the Editor for mapping

Mapping tutorial

PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 17:48   #18
GAJAN

Patrick I dont have specs for bf2editor or 3dsmax, saying it last time.
Conclusion: we need more 8km/16km in PR with modern assets, because, I spam it last time assets are not used enough.

Lock the thread, have I nice day and except more in Squad.
GAJAN is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 20:40   #19
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

You're still missing the point...

We are all well aware of assets missing from the mod and that it could do with more "8km maps" (or maps in general".
The problem is we can only do so much ourselves and even that is hard to find the time these days to do for many of us.
So there is totally no point in making suggestions, as nothing is going to come of them other than wasting both your time and ours, and if you want your ideas to happen, upgrade your PC and make them happen yourself. BTW system specs is not an excuse not to do coding since if you can run PR, you can easily run a text editor like notepad++ or even just basic notepad that comes with windows (tbh, if you can run PR there is no reason why you can't also run the BF2 Editor or 3DsMax9 too) so there is something you can do since most of your suggestions are just code-based anyways, like your suggestion for non-NATO names for Russian missiles etc.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
8km, modding, saareema, suggestion