project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
10 Dec 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2014-10-18, 13:35   #11
Navo
Default Re: Opinion about resources,realism,teamwork in pr

I like your idea about the ammo bags.
Navo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-19, 15:18   #12
Mikemonster

Well what is PR simulating? That is the underlying question as always. If everyone here answered this you would find everyone giving a different answer. This is why the game evolves in ways people don't understand - Because they don't understand what the actual changes are in aid of.

PR's own 'About' page doesn't even answer it. The closest is:

Quote:
Project Reality reworks Battlefield 2, developed by Digital Illusions of Sweden (DICE), to create the most realistic and demanding virtual combat environment for PC gamers possible.
But this doesn't explain what it is simulating. What is the 'combat environment'? Or does it differ between maps?

Some people seem to see PR as simulating large-scale conventional warfare, because we have APC's and tanks and CAS all working together in a big but SYMBOLIC combined-arms battlefield. I say 'symbolic' because they don't see the soldiers and individual assets as individuals - In this case they represent a larger unit. I.e. a tank represents a tank platoon. A CAS heli represents permanent air cover by several helis (on call at any time). An infantryman represents more than just himself - A squad is basically a company. A supply truck represents a secure line of communication. etc. etc.

Other people see PR as simulating large-scale special forces operations, by elite units fighting at platoon level with some backup from a single heli. For instance, the map with the ARF to them is simulating the Black Hawk Down mission in Somalia. In this case each asset is 'literal'. I.e. a tank represents a tank. If it dies it's gone. A soldier in the game represents a single soldier. A supply truck is seen as an actual truck, carrying whatever ammunition will fit, in order to get some badly needed supplies to a beleaguered forward unit.

Most people hover somewhere between the two, which isn't just a compromise, it's nonsensical. And it leads to all sorts of silly discussions.

If we could define what PR is supposed to simulate before looking at the tiny micro-arguments such as whether a soldier should be able to spawn with a LAT kit, we would be a lot better informed on each others' opinions.

Mikemonster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-19, 16:30   #13
Murphy

Interesting food for thought, the representation vision of the game falls in line with the draw distance and speed (talking mostly about air here) limitations. On the flip side I'm sure many infantry players will fall into the literal train of thought as the way they view the fight is in inches not miles/kms.

This is very much the same as the realism vs gameplay struggle we all face. Which is closer to what the developers aim to achieve is pretty much relevant to every single suggestions and all feedback as it frames the game in a more tangible respect. It might be a double edged sword at this point because there is no framing the PR experience as it shifts from map to map and role to role, and boxing everything into a "literal realism" concept could easily limit and of the representational considerations in the past and future (works the other way as well).

Murphy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-19, 19:22   #14
Spectrium

First of all I want to thanks all of you. I didn't expected to get some answers

I chose wrong words in my first post. I called some shit named mental realism. Now I want to call it as "Strategical realism". Because differences between Bf2 and Bf2 Pr is more strategical things. Also some of them are not logical but still strategically acceptable. For example: random deviation is not some sort of thing that you may see irl.

Also new features does not change the mod itself directly but it just make it evolve. One small thing like "permanent" rallypoints may change whole gameplay itself. This is why i gave all of that stupid ideas as examples. We should bring stupid ideas frequently.

I just started from 0.981 but I can feel the evolution of this mod from the changelogs in the name of strategy and teamplay and I believe this mod has capable of more! The evolution of this mod must GO ON and it will with Our Stupid Ideas

Old game modes does not carry teamplay of 50v50 man. Most of the conventional maps are so simetrically prepared. Uav is too op for maps of Pr. We all can discuss and bring new ideas about these and more.
Spectrium is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-20, 00:53   #15
tankninja1

Honestly, and everybody will get angry from this, but I think that old deviation, that was a clusterf**k, was valuable to teamwork.

Here's my reasoning:

1. Infantry rifles, m4/m16/ak74/Enfield/g36... were mobile move fast get close weapons and AR's were good long distance "cover me" weapons.

2. Slows down battles. Instead of holding still, relatively, quickly you had to stop and wait for a shot, so you can't run around you had to pick a good spot to start shooting from.

3. Stockholm syndrome, something about PR isn't PR without being able to hit stuff.
tankninja1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-20, 09:43   #16
Spectrium

There is no problem about deviation itself but it's quantity of errors. It's a good thing to slowing down the mod. Also it's simulating the ADS errors and involuntarily movements of arms(especially after run). But that's not possible to get error like 2 or 3 meters in 50meters if you are not ADS after a long run.

I am not against the deviation buddy. You are right it need to stay in the mod. But we need to decrease it's area of cone. Because it's just rewarding the lucky ones not skillful players. It's random and there is nothing but only shooting full automatically while screaming like a sissy girl. Because even if you break the misfortune of deviation and get some lucky tapping shoots. It's really hard to take someone out of combat with one or two bullets.(Even insurgents with no kevlar at eu servers with 50 ping.)

You are right, deviation is necessary for the game but we need to find something else to slow down close combats.

Spectrium is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-02, 08:42   #17
Wing Walker

I agree with the points about too much "spawnability." Just too many spawn locations sometimes.

Like too many FOBs, they aren't special anymore. There are FOBs everywhere, then you have some SL that just wants to run around and put up FOBs. There should be only 1 allowed on a map, maybe 2 if its a huge map, and they should be destroyable to be moved.

The rallies should just exist to lay down quickly to let your squad spawn back with you in a pinch, then they should just disappear after a minute or two.

The OP was right, it was a lot better when people actually had to depend on transportation, it was one of those fear factors in getting hit.

This is why I think, for me at least, it is more fun to play on a server that has just one or two squads on each team. The pace is a lot nicer, less meat grinder play, and the strategy thought seems to work in to it more naturally.
Wing Walker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-02, 16:30   #18
matty1053

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.A.Sharps View Post
I agree with the points about too much "spawnability." Just too many spawn locations sometimes.

Removing Rally points would help dramatically.

DETROIT TIGERS
matty1053 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-21, 20:34   #19
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

I too preferred the older slower PR, but I think more people appreciate the newer faster version.

Short rallies, more deviation (completely agree with poster above).
PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-22, 05:38   #20
rewanyu

Thank you for your sharing.
rewanyu is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
opinion, realism, resources, teamwork