project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
13 Dec 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2014-10-09, 11:20   #1
GUNNER(PT)76

Default G3 sound... suggestion to devs

Hey guys!

Dont know if it is just me ... but I think the sound of the G3 in-game is too far away from what really sounds...

Being a powerful weapon as it is in real life, the sound of it firing is not well reproduced in-game.On vBF2 was much more accurate for this weapon.

Can devs review this subject in the next update?

Thanks!
GUNNER(PT)76 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-09, 11:30   #2
StandardSmurf

Default Re: G3 sound... suggestion to devs

I've heard others mention the G 3.

For me I like the sound of the famas french rifle, that sounds good.

I'd support new pistol sounds for m9 and maybe others because they almost sound suppressed. It's like a high pitched sound that isn't accurate. More pistol damage too

Off topic, a way to auto dig

That's all from me, best of luck Anders thanks for all the great work.

StandardSmurf is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-10, 05:35   #3
CanuckCommander

I've actually shot a G3A3, a real full auto one. It's pretty much what it sounds like in game. The roller-delayed action has that metallic clink sound. Perhaps you're talking about 3rd person sounds and maybe they indeed could be "beefed" up a bit with bass, but in 1st person the sound is pretty accurate.
CanuckCommander is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-10, 10:12   #4
GUNNER(PT)76

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckCommander View Post
I've actually shot a G3A3, a real full auto one. It's pretty much what it sounds like in game. The roller-delayed action has that metallic clink sound. Perhaps you're talking about 3rd person sounds and maybe they indeed could be "beefed" up a bit with bass, but in 1st person the sound is pretty accurate.
What ammo did you used?US .308 or the original 7.62mm?

Yes,the sound needs more bass in both situations( 1st and 3rd person);the "metallic clink" is there...no doubt about that,but there is something not transmitting the "power" of the gun.If you played vBF2 you know what I?m talking about...it was more accurate IMO.

Watch this:Ak 47 vs G3 best firing - YouTube See what I mean?!

Cheers!
Last edited by GUNNER(PT)76; 2014-10-10 at 10:17.. Reason: adding video to thread.
Old 2014-10-10, 15:16   #5
-=anders=-
Retired PR Developer

This is what I have right now in the "test build/repo", not in 1.21.

VERY OLD PR G3 sound:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11035283/g3_old.mp3

Very new sound:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11035283/g3_new.wav

Never check youtube vids.

This is another one and it sounds different...
[YOUTUBEHD]YAwM71383C0[/YOUTUBEHD]

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11035283/anders_prsig.png
PR:BF2 Sound & VisualFX
-=anders=- is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-10, 15:32   #6
CanuckCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNNER(PT)76 View Post
What ammo did you used?US .308 or the original 7.62mm?

Yes,the sound needs more bass in both situations( 1st and 3rd person);the "metallic clink" is there...no doubt about that,but there is something not transmitting the "power" of the gun.If you played vBF2 you know what I?m talking about...it was more accurate IMO.

Watch this:Ak 47 vs G3 best firing - YouTube See what I mean?!

Cheers!
No idea what ammo. I would guess it would be US 308. What difference would ammo make anyway? According to my research the 308 round is loaded with MORE powder than NATO 7.62. We don't even know if more powder = louder sound.

Sounds are very subjective anyway. I'd rather have a good sound rather than a purely realistic sound. A balance of both is great. I'll agree it needs a bit more "oomph" or supersonic echo after firing in 3rd person, but the 1st person sound is quite spot on (that is what I heard with ear muffs though).
CanuckCommander is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-10, 16:56   #7
Mj Pain
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]-=anders=- View Post
This actually sounds pretty accurate.
Third person sound needs to be a bit louder and with more thud (bass).

You can "feel" a G3 firing when standing next to it

The new sound are totally off..

(just shot a cupple of hundred rounds with the AK4 this weekend btw)

Mj Pain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-10, 17:01   #8
Masaca1

As Anders points out, unless you have a decent capture system consisting of multiple microphones and at varying distances, you'll never find a video truly portraying what the gun sounds like.

There are huge variables which can alter the sound of a gun. Ranging from altitude, surroundings, air pressure, temperature, ammunition, ear protection, ear coverage, echoes, even furniture on the weapon can have an effect. I've shot AKM's at over a mile above sea level and with the same ammunition they sound different at ~500 feet.

Then you've got to take into the account that not everyone's hearing is the same. As you age, your ears are unable to hear higher pitched frequencies.

I've seen a G3SG/1 (and PSG) being shot at sea level with British Armed Response Units in 7.62 and I'm happy with Anders 1p sounds. 3p I agree could do with being made louder or more bass to it.

Ultimately we'll get to a point where we're just being pernickerty about irrelevant tiny bits though. The fact that it has the roller-delay clink to me is more than enough to show that Anders has done superb work.
Last edited by Masaca1; 2014-10-10 at 17:06..
Old 2014-10-10, 22:54   #9
-=anders=-
Retired PR Developer

Thx mate.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11035283/anders_prsig.png
PR:BF2 Sound & VisualFX
-=anders=- is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
devs, sound, suggestion