project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
28 Jan 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-20, 23:17   #1
killonsight95
Supporting Member

Default Delete unactive forum members

I was was just browsing through the members list and found it was packed full of people who have only 3 or 5 posts and havn't visted since 2007, isn't this taking up server space? also its annoying when trying to find someone and theres a million old guys that havn't been on since 2007 and only have 5 posts.

sorry i was just thought it a bit odd that the forum doesn't auto delete these people?

a good example on the first page would be:
$il3n7 $7rk3r

Old 2010-08-20, 23:22   #2
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Delete unactive forum members

It wouldn't help the websites performance at all its best to keep them all on. I remember Slick got pissy at Fortnight years ago when he deleted inactive members off of the list because it didn't do anything for the server and many inactive users do come back and having there account deleted may make the difference with them coming back or not.

Old 2010-08-20, 23:24   #3
killonsight95
Supporting Member

but surly members with 5 posts won't exactly be disapointed if their account was delteed how many people could even rememebr their password or even username from 3 years ago? also i'm sure it only takes 5 mins to make an account.

I do understand however that some people might be a bit like "oh they delted my account so i'm not going to comment" but do you really wnat those kind of people on the forums?

Old 2010-08-20, 23:28   #4
Farks

I've seen this suggestion on a lot of forums, and the answer is always that the member database takes up very little space, even a very big one.
Old 2010-08-20, 23:32   #5
killonsight95
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farks View Post
I've seen this suggestion on a lot of forums, and the answer is always that the member database takes up very little space, even a very big one.
yes but space isn't the only problem, its the members list, i was trying to find animal.mother but couldn't find him so i searched through the members list, its took me 3 mins (YES 3 MINS) to find him, i know oh wow 3 mins an't long but it is annoying, and possibly frutsrating when a million people are all named ted or sniper or even andy! so its probs me voer reacting to a tiny problem i just found it like (ARRRGGGGHHHHH) annoying.

Old 2010-08-20, 23:35   #6
Farks

Quote:
Originally Posted by killonsight95 View Post
yes but space isn't the only problem, its the members list, i was trying to find animal.mother but couldn't find him so i searched through the members list, its took me 3 mins (YES 3 MINS) to find him, i know oh wow 3 mins an't long but it is annoying, and possibly frutsrating when a million people are all named ted or sniper or even andy! so its probs me voer reacting to a tiny problem i just found it like (ARRRGGGGHHHHH) annoying.
So people should get their accounts deleted just because you can't use the search function?

EDIT: I just tried searching for "Animal" in the member database, and the user in question was the top result!
Old 2010-08-20, 23:37   #7
killonsight95
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farks View Post
So people should get their accounts deleted just because you can't use the search function?
i did use the search function but i forgot the . in his name and thus a very annoying as it can't find him

also ona different note:
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/members/9718.html
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/members/3248.html

he's multiplying with nearly the exact same number of posts.... hmmm curious.

Old 2010-08-20, 23:42   #8
MAINERROR
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to MAINERROR Send a message via MSN to MAINERROR

It took me about 20 seconds to find him on that list. Members List -> Search -> Search term: animal

Like Farks already said, the user table doesn't take up that much and the Members list is not queried that often and on top of that to limit the server load while querying the members list it is limited to 30 members per page.

Just try to use the search function next time it'll save you a lot of time.
Old 2010-08-20, 23:49   #9
killonsight95
Supporting Member

and yeah the search function was kinda hard to spot imo anyway as its tucked away at the middle right of the screen.

but anyway thanks for the tips and stuff guys i think this question was answered and solved.

Lock please.

Old 2010-08-20, 23:54   #10
MAINERROR
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to MAINERROR Send a message via MSN to MAINERROR

Locked as per request.
Closed Thread

Tags
delete, forum, members, unactive