project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
27 Jan 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2015-08-22, 16:18   #1
PolishKruk
Supporting Member

Default 3rd Party VOIP, how detrimental is it to PR teamwork?

I like playing this game with my friends and with the great people I have met in this community. But I strongly dislike using 3rd party voip while doing so unless the entire squad is using the same voip.

Since PR has mumble integrated with the servers is using a 3rd party system even needed? Do they add to the teamwork that can be done or are they a detriment to good team play?

I will say that I have been on both sides as well. I have experienced being in a clan squad when everyone else was on TS but me and I felt lost and completely uninformed of the situation. I have also been in squads where by friends and I have been on voip and the constant chatter from them and the rest of the squad and from the command net have driven me crazy.

I just don't like using these programs while in PR. But are they as bad as I think they are? Do people use them and like them when not everyone in the squad is using it?

I also understand that any conclusion varies heavily on the most uncontrollable factor IE the player.

Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
PolishKruk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-22, 16:33   #2
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: 3rd Party VOIP, how detrimental is it to PR teamwork?

3rd party provides no advantages to infantry gameplay in public play.

On assets it can help filter the channels a bit by putting asset users in seperate TS channels for example which makes voip more clear then using local mumble.

IMO

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-22, 16:46   #3
Jutsch

It's just totally pointless. The integrated mumble channels are all you need and you can communicate with everyone you need to. I've seen some "Skype-chat" squads lately, locked with 3 or 4 people.
It's breaking teamplay in every case, except the one Mineral mentioned, if a CAS gunner and pilot use TS.
If i was a server admin, i would kick any INF squads that don't use the in-game Mumble!

Jutsch is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-22, 18:25   #4
mat552

I think you're inventing a problem to be outraged at.

Players might be hardcoded, but that sure doesn't seem to stop anybody from trying.

The only winning move is not to play. Insurgency, that is.
mat552 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-22, 18:28   #5
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Clans like to have some banter etc with their mates in other squads, but yeah I agree with Mineral, it's only a powerful tool when in use by Assets, generally it's a distraction that just interferes with PR's communication model.

However, it is rather useful to be on TS with an admin, in the past I've just muted TS in the background unless I needed an admin and then I can unmute.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-22, 19:18   #6
PolishKruk
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat552 View Post
I think you're inventing a problem to be outraged at.
I'm not outraged at anything. I have merely given my experience which is negative and have asked other people to share their insight. Reading their comments have added some positives I have overlooked but the consensus seems to be that it is ineffective and not necessary for infantry squads which is what I do 99.9% of the time.

I'm sorry my thread discussing 3rd party voip has offended you.

Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
PolishKruk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-22, 22:01   #7
Jutsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishKruk View Post
I'm not outraged at anything.

I'm sorry my thread discussing 3rd party voip has offended you.
I think it was addressed to me

Jutsch is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-22, 23:36   #8
[508th_PIR] Grey
Supporting Member

Quote:
I also understand that any conclusion varies heavily on the most uncontrollable factor IE the player.
That's pretty much it. There is nothing inherently "wrong" with using TS.Vent/etc while playing PR. However, using third-party comms to the exclusion of PRMumble is simply bad teamplay.

[508th_PIR] Grey is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-23, 02:04   #9
matty1053

I only use Teamspeak if I need to speak with admin. Using JUST teamspeak hurts the teamwork in PR IMO. You can't communicate locally with it, or with other squad leaders.

I've seen entire squads only using teamspeak and to get their attention you have to have an admin warn them or something... It's pathetic especially if they are Tanks. Then they get mad at you if they get killed by a enemy tank, claiming you didn't tell them theres a tank in the area.

DETROIT TIGERS
matty1053 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-23, 11:00   #10
Frontliner
Project Reality Beta Tester

Quote:
Since PR has mumble integrated with the servers is using a 3rd party system even needed? Do they add to the teamwork that can be done or are they a detriment to good team play?
Yes, because the Squad you're in is not the Clan you're in.

Yes, they add to the gameplay because you can quickly inform the people in other squads about potential danger without wasting time on bringing it to your SQL's attention, who then talks to the squad in question or wasting time on typing it in chat if it's only addressed to a select number of players.

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Frontliner is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
3rd, detrimental, party, teamwork, voip