project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
22 Apr 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2021-02-25, 01:31   #1
WingWalker
Default Why do You Like Certain Maps?

Why do you like to play certain maps?

... or do you like to play every map at random?

I'm just curious why certain maps work for some people and why? Not specific maps.

Personally,
What I look for is a variation in fights that can happen in a desert and urban environments where you can see for long distances. I don't care about vehicles or assets.

I prefer factions with access to optics. I personally can't stand being limited to iron sights, especially with no binos.

Some wide open natural spaces with sparse structures around and a few hills, but then also some urban areas in another part. High points like buildings or towers, and low hidden areas of movement.

Defendable and easily recognizable structures for easily directing others too, or drawing in the fight, like the mosque, or a T building.

W.W.
WingWalker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-25, 11:18   #2
Coalz101

Default Re: Why do You Like Certain Maps?

Asset maps with heavy assets and practically Any map where I don't have to play INF as MEC if I don't get or it doesn't have any assets, G3 is just not my favourite gun in this game I rather an AK or QBZ.
Coalz101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-25, 12:49   #3
Grump/Gump.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWalker View Post
Why do you like to play certain maps?

... or do you like to play every map at random?

I'm just curious why certain maps work for some people and why? Not specific maps.

Personally,
What I look for is a variation in fights that can happen in a desert and urban environments where you can see for long distances. I don't care about vehicles or assets.

I prefer factions with access to optics. I personally can't stand being limited to iron sights, especially with no binos.
I am complete opposite, I dont hate scopes and assets, but i prefer we play WW2, Vietnam or Iron sight vs Ironsight map lay outs like Bamyan ALT with Taliban vs USMC. This is a Combined Arms game, I will only play maps with assets the right way. When i said "combined arms breach" and somebody said "thats boring" without even knowing what it was, maybe they were trolling, maybe they didnt know thats where they had most fun steam rolling with assets, but those players make this game not fun to play. I dont even play them anymore, this video shows how to play which we (I) have accomplished in past. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ-s...ndex=83&t=275s Driving logi repairs not only makes this possible to keep armor alive but tanks are willing to do what you teach from learning to advise especially if its a better idea than what they had meaning it supports team and keeps them alive better.

Otherwise it really feels like im playing with humans who are domesticated away from real skills their ancestors had, now labeled civilians incapable of learning or knowing same things real soldiers of many ranks know. Learning takes 5 minutes or less then you know it forever, instead of making same mistakes over and over. Learn on your own from your own experiences and from others directly teaching, i get this excuse "people want/need to learn on their own".. But thats just one way of learning, something wrong with having 2 ways of learning? If you prefer one source of learning over having two it shows their character and its lack of intelligence.

I have already accomplished this its just alot of mental energy, me driving logi repair truck and in return tanks play the way i teach, which is from what i learned which is realistic way it would be done given terrain and asset mutually supporting each other. Otherwise i dont repair them or follow. Infantry is also an asset but infantry is only as strong as a tank if properly spread and positioned to where they arent killed in one blow. I have in the past wrapped this concept around Project Reality objectives in game, if anybody remembers the few weeks or months i was saying everyday "combined arms breach" in chat saying how to do it(anti-air cover tanks in view of air space, area attack spread, armor stay in view of inf and objectives with supporting TOW/HAT etc etc etc).

I want more even mix of maps and i want better players, its exactly as i suspected and have been saying. People like the "EASY" difficulty level of fighting in deserts on top of people voting for assets because they want to use assets, but the amount of people voting for asset maps doesnt match the number of assets. They dont know how to use assets. I could teach the right way to people which i did and they fall into old habits then you get new names in asset squads. Turns out im the only one who teaches it or does it in complete. Some will only say "logi follow tanks" not specifying distance importance due to burning tank repair situation, or the person teaching completely leaves out anti-air vehicle follow armor,

Then add the fact they dont know how to synchronize and use them together wrapping it around objectives, maps like Kashan, Khamisiyah and other open desert maps end up being sitting in bunkers. Even artillery, i know many squad leaders know how to use it but sometimes people call in area attack when nobody is moving up and its released by commander right away. When the area attack request could have sat there till squads were in position or starting to move up. Logistics repair trucks should have full supplies moving in view of tanks so infantry gets those supplies if tanks are in supporting range, which is how to play. So many ways how to play that the game says not in words, but the asset list and the realistic way to use them with tactics and tools. Eyes are a tool, dividing the fire and attention of the enemy between players is a tool, spreading how far that attention is a tool, having awareness to this is a tool. In fact, some might even say im a tool.

The logi trucks, armor medics, are supposed to follow tanks at less than the distance of the time it takes a burning tank to blow up. It can be saved with repairs. Stay in view of each other connecting dots visually and positionally around cap zones, with armor, UAV and infantry ears for early warning you can be ready for to bait enemy tanks. But it only ends up being me doing repairs or I inspire one person to do it.

The asset list dictates how to play, Masriah perfect example, 2 tanks/BMP, 4 .50 cal APC, 1 CAS, 1 logi with no Anti-air vehicle to cover armor formation from CAS. That 1 logi is for repairs. Its obvious that the .50 cal APCs provide the anti-air cover, the French and MEC APCs .50 cals have same sound as their main armor pieces to mask and confuse making track or wheeled armor sounds. Now another issue is the expectation of killing CAS with .50 cals, do it if you can but understand your effectiveness when its alive comes from sending it away using your tools to create fear, stress and send it away

Its also stagnant on the infantry side of it, one reason armor blames infantry is because they lack awareness to their own speed and invulnerability to threats. The reason tanks blame infantry is because they arent supporting a move with security presence . Nobody wants to cross desert on foot and if they do its one squad at a time going for objective no doing the math of being out numbered. This game is not supposed to be played with each squad going to do its own thing, they need to work together
Last edited by Grump/Gump.45; 2021-02-25 at 12:59..
Old 2021-02-26, 08:12   #4
BigBigMonkeyMan
Supporting Member

I find that I enjoy maps the most when they feel authentic, immersive, and oppressive. For example, Korengal Valley being a slog for U.S. forces, because in reality it was. Bamyan also feels authentic because a lot of engagements are just between mountain tops at very long ranges, with tracers flying slowly past at range, something that looks like war footage from recent conflicts. Musa Qala also looks and feels very authentic because it is totally grounded in reality. Grozny feels and looks like a desolate hell of a warzone.
Other maps I like just because even if they aren't based on real conflicts and the fighting isn't representative of reality, they are just really detailed, well designed, and tell a story. Adak is great as well as Masirah. Both based on real locations and feel like you are stepping into an actual place, not just a battle arena. Sahel tells a story of imperialism and the plight of West Africa as you move from flag to flag with the diamond mine and air strip. I hate Khamisaya gameplay wise but the flags tell essentially the idealized invasion of Iraq with WMDs actually being present. I am a lover of most PR maps for a variety of reasons but those stand out to me at the moment. Many other maps are great gameplay wise but nonetheless feel like battle arenas.

"We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on, we're going to survive.' Today we celebrate our independence day!"
BigBigMonkeyMan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-04, 15:56   #5
Brotherscompany2

Woodland maps for some reason, they are less restricting when it comes to movement across the map and not being limited into certain buildings/areas for the most successful tactic. You are also focused in combat you never know when the firefight will break out and it really comes down to your PR skills/knowledge at that point.

Maps without scopes are some of my favorite, it decreases the combat effectivenes of the players not having 1 man army, having 1 of your members saving the whole SQ or loosing 4 members to 1 enemy and the game is more often decided by superior SQL tactics and flanks making you have to rely on your SQL/SQ synergy, l find it the most forefeeling experience in PR.

So basically INF oriented maps: Kozesk and Bamyan being my favorites, Saarema, WW2, Vietnam, Gaza (although l dont enjoy so much some Urban maps, Gaza is just pure fun Sandbox)
Brotherscompany2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-08, 07:19   #6
Trekkie

I really like the direction that the recently-added modern-era maps are going. I don't like Sahel, but I don't know why. I just haven't had any awesome games on it. I always get schwacked.
Trekkie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-08, 10:49   #7
PBAsydney
Supporting Member

The more assets the better.

HITREG CARRY
PBAsydney is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-08, 12:21   #8
jenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBAsydney View Post
The more assets the better.
we all know that
jenson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-19, 18:48   #9
dcm

I love infantry maps. Hate asset maps. Too Large, Slow and Complicated. Cant stand anything bigger than 2k. The only assets I like are light vehicles that are fast and have firepower. Techies, Humvees and Shitboxes mainly. Dont like armor. Feels unfair.
dcm is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-19, 21:36   #10
Jimbo of Ameridan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalz101 View Post
Asset maps with heavy assets and practically Any map where I don't have to play INF as MEC if I don't get or it doesn't have any assets, G3 is just not my favourite gun in this game I rather an AK or QBZ.
Inferior taste in weapons detected.
I wouldn't argue with the G3 getting a reset on recoil after shooting like literally anything else though.
Jimbo of Ameridan is offline Reply With Quote