project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
20 Aug 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2013-08-14, 22:34   #1
[R-DEV]​M42 Zwilling
PR:BF2 Developer

Post [Info] Running the Debugger in PR:BF2 v1.X

The BF2/PR debugger is extremely helpful in tracking down bugs that don't give error messages, but it does require a bit of knowledge on how to read the log messages.

Running the debugger in v1.X is different than in previous versions, but the new launcher makes the process quite a bit simpler and quicker.

Here's what you'll need to do to set it up:

1.Download this PRBF2_r.zip
2.Place the .exe in your root Project Reality folder (i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\Project Reality\Project Reality BF2\).
3.Then run the normal PR launcher. Right-click on "PLAY", and click "Launch Debugger". Next you'll need to make a profile that will function properly in the debugger. Go to "Manage Profiles" and create a new one (offline profile preferably).
4.Select it from the profiles list after creating it and hit "Convert Profile" to convert to a debugger profile.
5.Go back to the Options menu through the launcher and select a 4:3 Aspect ratio and make sure you are running windowed mode.
6.Go back to the debugger screen(right click PLAY and select "launch Debugger"), select your new profile, log in, and have fun debugging.

When you're running the debugger in windowed mode, you'll get error messages popping up all the time when loading. Generally, these are messages about texture coordinates, which can be ignored. Simply press Continue through them all.

Log messages are output to mods/pr/logs. You'll get 2 log messages, a BFLog and a Debug log. The Debug log is lots of stuff about what it's currently doing, and the BFLog is more similar to the standard error messages that pop up, and is more about errors rather than notifications. Use that one for most cases.

Generally, any errors and crashes will be the last thing in the log, but not all the time. We have found that errors relating to collisionmeshes won't be the last error, and sometimes some other things. So, go back through the Debug log looking for "Error" or "Warning" messages (you'll notice things start with Debug, Warning, Error, Assert, etc), and see if it's anything about something you've just modified. That'll generally be the problem there Good luck and if something doesn't work out then come to the community modding forums and make a thread about your issue.

Will work for v1.5.5

"How many posts have there been about how much better PR was back in 0.X? The fact is that if we played the older versions we would start to remember the shortcomings, but we tend to hold onto the good memories tighter than the bad ones." - Murphy
Last edited by [R-DEV]Arab; 2018-05-28 at 10:30.. Reason: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oiso7fjaacca8h7
Old 2013-08-15, 07:26   #2
[R-DEV]​Psyrus
Default re: [Info] Running the Debugger in PR:BF2 v1.X

The point of the debugger is you can access a lot of information/features that are not available in the regular version, such as checking things like this:

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f26...ml#post1935907
Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-15, 20:30   #3
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: [Info] Running the Debugger in PR:BF2 v1.X

Thread cleaned and updated for v1.3 with additional information.

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-22, 10:16   #4
PeppeJ

All links are 404s (except Psyrus one), how should I proceed?

PeppeJ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-28, 06:44   #5
[R-DEV]​Arab
Supporting Member

I have contacted the devs to update the link.

Also a helpful tip: To skip the error messages, hold the c key.

Last edited by [R-DEV]Arab; 2016-05-28 at 06:50..
Old 2018-09-08, 13:35   #6
dunem666

Send a message via MSN to dunem666
Default Re: [Info] Running the Debugger in PR:BF2 v1.X (Fixed in v1.5.5)

Not even debug is helping overcome my map crashing at 100% loading. Iv'e lost a week of working on my map now to this problem.

dunem

dunem666 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-08, 13:42   #7
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member

What's in your debugger logs.

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-08, 13:53   #8
dunem666

Send a message via MSN to dunem666

There is nothing in the logs that really cause a full CTD on 100% load. Just mainly warnings which can be skipped or ignored.

The error I get is as soon as I click on Squad assignment
"The application has generated an exception and will be closed."
"Please attatch the crash dump to the error report."

It's really bugging me, I dont really want to continue mapping untill I know the root cause of this some way or another.

dunem

dunem666 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-08, 18:26   #9
[R-DEV]​AfterDune
Supporting Member

Edit: oh, just saw you posted on another thread. You've already gone through copying files over and all.

---
Before you do anything, make a backup.

Then, empty staticobjects.con, put in server.zip and load the map. If it still crashes, the issue isn't statics related. If it loads up fine, one or more statics cause it.

Do the same for gameplayobjects.con (although you have to have some flags and spawnpoints at least obviously).

Same for triggers, ambientobjects.con, overgrowth and undergrowth.

It's quite shitty and tedious, but usually this helps you pinpoint the error.

We've all been there, we know your pain...

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-09, 08:17   #10
[R-DEV]​Arab
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunem666 View Post
Not even debug is helping overcome my map crashing at 100% loading. Iv'e lost a week of working on my map now to this problem.
Check the init file to make sure the factions settings is not overwritten by the Editor. It will override files like these with vBF2 files so make sure you do regular backups before saving any changes.

Last edited by Arab; 2018-09-09 at 08:27..

Tags
debugger, fixed, info, prbf2, running, updated, v15, v1x