project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR2 Game Forums > PR2 General Discussion
15 Dec 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality 2 game.

Old 2014-03-16, 01:15   #11
Gracler

Default Re: Type of Gameplay?

It is possible to use a day cycle but it only really works with a gradient sky-box which is quite uninteresting forcing you to add a lot of extra cloud entities etc. On some maps it may be interesting to make use of the day cycle but on others it could be just extra work for a small gain or even a downgrade on the detail and performance.

Weather effects are also very challenging to work with but basic rain and snow effects should be easy enough but things like rain puddles to make it believable are made by hand so it would be a whole new task just to get rain done. Wind effects I have no idea.

If the map is built around the idea that it is happening at sunrise or sunset (like sunset city? ) then it would make perfect sense to have the time of day running, but if the map is happening at daytime or nighttime a lot of trouble could be avoided.
Last edited by Gracler; 2014-03-16 at 01:32..
Old 2014-03-16, 18:31   #12
baltimore

Or the op baracuda map. Harder way but more beautyfull as the daytime change.

baltimore is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-18, 02:37   #13
WarEagle751

I still believe there should be an option then to change the day cycle before you play that a host can choose from for multiplayer and then have the option available for everyone for singleplayer. exp: Dusk. dawn, night, and ect. Weather exp: rain, snow, fog, clear, windy and ect.

For my banners click here!
WarEagle751 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-18, 11:36   #14
Allan Davidson

This is scenario dependent, and can only be implemented due to Dev tastes.

Personally, I think it's easier and better do static TOD for maps that are not suppose to happen at edges of day-night cicle.

For example: A scenario that happens 9am, there's no need to change TOD, since even with max round time (4h:30m?) the sky will not change enough to make a difference. But in scenarios that happens in 5am or 5am, it should definitely be made.

Well, this is pretty much the idea that I was talking in other thread. It'll make vote maps better and will free admins of making vote maps in the middle of previous game.

And something like this to the map voting screen (I know it sucks, it was made on MS Paint).

After the next map is decided, the bottom area change to something like this.

Hope you guys like it
Last edited by Allan Davidson; 2014-03-18 at 13:08..
Old 2014-03-18, 14:46   #15
Gracler

Voting is like how the search algorithms worked before Google made it bring new and relevant results to the top.
Some maps will be played a lot and others will be almost forgotten.
Map rotations are the only way to get a good variety of maps.

However your idea if the damn voting has to stay is much better than the in-game voting disrupting game-play we have now.

ps. I would never vote for Moootrah
Gracler is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-18, 16:42   #16
baltimore

Heh, regarding to Gracler a map rotation is the only way that all the maps will be played, but IMO that wont be a problem at the begining. Doing statistic things like this have to be made at the endscreen regarding to you.

baltimore is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 10:22   #17
Allan Davidson

Yes, that's why server will have a standard map sequence (look at upper-left) that will rotate by a variety of maps (decided by server). But, if people chose to, the standard map sequence can be canceled if a minimum of 50% of online players vote in a same map.

Example: The next map in rotation is Al Basrah, and there is 80 players online. If one map (lets take Silent Eagle) get at least 40 votes, then the standard sequence is cancelled, and Silent Eagle is set to the next map. I believe 30 seconds is enough to map vote.

After that, the bottom menu will change to the next map parameters (in that case, Silent Eagle), and players will be able to chose in what conditions they want to play. 30 seconds must be enough too.

Also, if no other map achieve more than 50% of votes, players will still be able to vote the parameters of the next standard rotation map (in this case, Al Basrah).
Last edited by Allan Davidson; 2014-03-19 at 11:04..
Old 2014-03-19, 16:08   #18
Gracler

That sounds familiar with vanilla BF2 map voting. They almost never succeeded making the voting kinda pointless and that was just yes or no to one particular map. Getting 50% of players to vote for the same map when there are so many maps to choose from seems unlikely to happen. For voting to work you have to limit the choices or favor the minority, which both are worse than a rotation in my opinion.
Gracler is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 16:19   #19
IWI-GALIL.556FA
Supporting Member

You could always force the player to vote. Like in the game insurgency that annoying ass box in the top left corner won't go away unless you vote. That's not exactly forcing a vote, but annoying enough for me to vote whether I want to or not, just to get it off the screen. PR2 could implement something like this to more encourage a player to vote.

And now, we wait.....
IWI-GALIL.556FA is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
gameplay, type