project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
17 Aug 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2018-08-12, 18:37   #1
Anthony817
BF Korea Developer

Default Reality mod for Battlefield 3 is a go!

I used to run the Venice Unleashed community on Steam Groups where I would organize bi-weekly events about 3 years ago. That was until I got into BF2 modding and took over development of Battlefield: Korea mod. However, it is a pleasure to see that the guys over there have kept at this project and actually are at a point where we can have a PR styled mod in BF3 with fucking beautiful graphics.

My Steam Group for Venice Unleashed was over 600 members at it's peak, but a bunch of guys left after I stopped organizing events as my Korean War project meant way more to me on a personal level.

Here is my Steam Group detailing what all VU is, and links to their discord and official site. The Reality mod seems to be coming along beautifully, and it seems like they need help now more than ever.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/bf3vu

Last edited by Anthony817; 2018-08-12 at 22:44..
Old 2018-08-12, 19:07   #2
Bluedrake42
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: Reality mod for Battlefield 3 is a go!

Do they have support for custom heightmaps and weapons, or is it more of a Halo Forge kindof deal

Bluedrake42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-12, 19:52   #3
Anthony817
BF Korea Developer

I actually spoke to Kiwi earlier today on Steam, the guy coding a lot of this and he said NoFaTe was the one who would be working on the Rime app which is the other project that includes the terrain editor. He said he doesn't think new heightmaps are able to be imported just yet, but he said they will be working on implementing them as well as new weapons and animations. They just have to spend more time on it and dig deeper into the ant library which I guess are the weapon animations. I think that is why they are trying to recruit more help. Kiwi did say he has exported new weapon models but his words were that they were "too jank to be usable"...

I have been following development since maybe 2014 or so when it was first posted on PCGamer, and it is just a really slow process. Kiwi and NoFaTe are both younger guys still in college so they have limited time to work on it. Extremely smart dudes though.

Anthony817 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-12, 20:34   #4
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Before I finished the video I was going to write something about this project having been going since..forever it feels? But the end really made my tired eyes open. Also some of the comments gives me smiles.

EDIT: Still, until I play it, It feels too good to be true.

Last edited by sweedensniiperr; 2018-08-12 at 21:12..
Old 2018-08-12, 20:51   #5
Matrox
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony817 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyLRF6ljsII

Unable to embed video at the moment.

I used to run the Venice Unleashed community on Steam Groups where I would organize bi-weekly events about 3 years ago. That was until I got into BF2 modding and took over development of Battlefield: Korea mod. However, it is a pleasure to see that the guys over there have kept at this project and actually are at a point where we can have a PR styled mod in BF3 with fucking beautiful graphics.

My Steam Group for Venice Unleashed was over 600 members at it's peak, but a bunch of guys left after I stopped organizing events as my Korean War project meant way more to me on a personal level.

Here is my Steam Group detailing what all VU is, and links to their discord and official site. The Reality mod seems to be coming along beautifully, and it seems like they need help now more than ever.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/bf3vu
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/sho...20#post2190520

I embedded it fine in my post.

If you can find the four ninjas in my post, pm me to find out the prize....

Soalic: Because Microsoft Word makes really good pictures.
Matrox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-12, 21:00   #6
Anthony817
BF Korea Developer

Thanks I see I had the code wrong. All these different forums I frequent have completely different ways of posting YT code hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweedensniiperr View Post
Before I finished the video I was going to write something about this project having been going since..forever it feels? But the end really made my tired eyes open. Also some of the comments gives me smiles.
Yeah, I been following development of Venice Unleashed since 2013 for sure since PC Gamer posted articles about it.

https://www.pcgamer.com/battlefield-...-applications/

I got active in the community January 2016, but then moved onto other things in April 2016 when I decided to revive the BFKorea mod. The rest is history I guess. Still kept in contact with Kiwi though, really cool dude.

Old 2018-08-12, 22:57   #7
[R-DEV]​Hokunin
PR:BF2 Developer

I hope they gonna find ways importing new vehicles, guns and changing stats, gameplay etc. I really want to believe they succeed

Hokunin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-12, 23:51   #8
Bluedrake42
Supporting Member

I don't touch anything owned by EA anymore with a 10 foot pole, not since BF2 Revive got shut down, and since their lawyers started getting more aggressive. Especially since there are more alternatives now with Unreal Engine 4 and beyond that you could create viable builds with, with roughly the same amount of effort as it takes to reverse engineer something like Frostbite... and also navigate both the legal and technical minefield EA lays to prevent such things from happening.

With that said though, this project has my full support. I don't think I'd be willing to contribute/support it directly, just because of all the aforementioned things... but if they actually do accomplish something, I'll be one of the first to play it.

Impressed with how far it's gotten. Let's hope it forces EA to start thinking about opening up their mod tools again (doubtful) but I'm all for disruptive development.

Old 2018-08-13, 00:16   #9
Anthony817
BF Korea Developer

Well, you gotta understand drake that Revive was fully distributing Battlefield 2 and 2142, as well as Heroes with all files and actively using their name. It was thier trademark and everything they were unhappy with them using. If PR did the same thing and used the BF name I think they would make a lot of noise about it. However, DICE has known about this project and these guys for years. Even DICE devs played Venice Unleashed a few times. When asked what they thought about it, they strictly said "No comment" Just that they can't support it publicly but can privately if you catch my drift.

Also, this project distributes no DICE created content. It is all their own code. Also you have to own a legit copy of BF3 and all DLC. So they should be fine.

Hell I am recreating Battlefield 1942 in the BF2 engine, and calling it Battlefield 1944.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/battlefield-1944

I am trying to be careful, but so many other mods were named for example "Battlefield 1918" among other things and they were fine.

Hell 2 years ago I released another total conversion mod of the Korean War using Battlefield in the name and was fine. So what I am getting at, is so long as they don't use their name and also release a full freely downloadable copy with it, DICE is happy.

If you could please at least support them by discussing the project in a video on your YT channel I believe it would go a hell of a long ways in giving them more exposure.

Old 2018-08-13, 01:03   #10
Bluedrake42
Supporting Member

Maybe. Feel free to message me on Discord, we can talk more there if you want. Otherwise I don't really discuss those kinds of things on these public forums.

Tags
battlefield, mod, reality