project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
16 Sep 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2018-11-12, 23:16   #291
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: Jets in 1.4

Can we get back on topic?

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-15, 11:36   #292
winject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineral View Post
Can we get back on topic?
Since you seem to enjoy removing my posts, I'm gonna rephrase my question again.
Are any devs looking to fix this issue? Yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonTavor View Post
Querying for all GenericProjectile objects every tick and doing getPosition on them in Python is very reliable.

As for "current target" you'll need to reverse engineer the projectile struct and find the comp there.
After reversing CComponentInfo_Target from the AA missile launcher, I found the target ptr at 0x1C . Then I reversed this god damn projectile struct to find the active target, but now I'm not able to reproduce the redirect bug to see exactly when the target ptr is swapped with the second target that isn't supposed to die in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
A long time ago i wrote Fastjack a PM asking him about his approach and ideas and he wrote me back in some detail.

To paraphrase his ideas:

1) explosion.coneAngle for AA missiles. Have AA missiles only deal damage towards a certain limited angle when exploding, like claymores do, so good manouvering can defeat them.

2)Change flares from being a Heat_Object to being an object with an invisible sphere that has ProjectileCollision. So flares would work less as decoys to misdirect the missile and more like obstacles in the way of the missile that have the potential to 'block it' from hitting the aircraft. Putting flares in the right spot in the path of the missile would defeat it.

Would both or one of these be feasible to do, to mitigate the current problems with AA?
And to make the AA system more fair, interesting and skill based for both parties (AA and pilot) and less 'random' and frustrating?
This is another nice suggestion to approach the problem, but nobody bothered it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rPoXoTauJIo View Post
Working as intended.
At this point Mineral, you might as well remove your dev post for trolling.
The main goal of this thread is to find a solution to this post-v1.1 PR version problem.
And yes, this never happened in 0.98 as far as I know, [MENTION=37723]AlonTavor[/MENTION], I'd like to know the exact assembly change you made so I can apply it on my old copy of 0.98 at least client side since I don't have the server files.
winject is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-15, 12:02   #293
[R-DEV]Mineral
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winject View Post
Since you seem to enjoy removing my posts, I'm gonna rephrase my question again.
Are any devs looking to fix this issue? Yes or no?
I checked your post history and have never removed a post of yours it seems?
I don't believe anyone is actively working on it atm or will in the near future. But like most things it will probably be looked at eventually. Then again I don't really have anything to do with all things flying in PR except exporting some assets. So probably not the right person to discuss this at all.

Quote:
At this point Mineral, you might as well remove your dev post for trolling....
This thread is about ground AA, A2A, flight physics, how flares work in this engine, the fun of flying in general, fun vs realism debate, 1.0 vs previous debate, assembly edits and long e-penis comparison posts and videos. There surely is some good feedback and suggestions in here but it's an absolute clusterfuck overall that no DEV or modder will ever take as a serious feedback thread I believe. But I never said 'get back on topic' to stop posting about those things, I was referencing the previous posts about DogActual only. So please continue, just not about DogActual

Old 2018-11-15, 13:07   #294
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
A long time ago i wrote Fastjack a PM asking him about his approach and ideas and he wrote me back in some detail.

To paraphrase his ideas:

1) explosion.coneAngle for AA missiles. Have AA missiles only deal damage towards a certain limited angle when exploding, like claymores do, so good manouvering can defeat them.

2)Change flares from being a Heat_Object to being an object with an invisible sphere that has ProjectileCollision. So flares would work less as decoys to misdirect the missile and more like obstacles in the way of the missile that have the potential to 'block it' from hitting the aircraft. Putting flares in the right spot in the path of the missile would defeat it.

Would both or one of these be feasible to do, to mitigate the current problems with AA?
And to make the AA system more fair, interesting and skill based for both parties (AA and pilot) and less 'random' and frustrating?
1. Yes, this is possible, but not all missiles have a forward facing shrapnel area (forget the proper name of it) and even thous that do, often have a secondary proximity charge on top that is all around or relies on a direct hit afterwards to finish off the aircraft.
It should also be mentioned that down to BF2's amazing proximity code, things often explode after they have passed the aircraft, especially with the jet and missile speeds we have in PR and if we had this directional explosion in front of the missile ingame, then in all likelihood, the jet would take no damage from the missile often exploding after it had just passed it, and all the explosion going away from the jet, and none towards it.

2. Not possible to have a projectile have its own col mesh and also wouldn't be realistic.

Last edited by Rhino; 2018-11-15 at 13:18..
Old 2018-11-20, 01:48   #295
Danesh_italiano
Supporting Member

Quote:
After reversing CComponentInfo_Target from the AA missile launcher, I found the target ptr at 0x1C . Then I reversed this god damn projectile struct to find the active target, but now I'm not able to reproduce the redirect bug to see exactly when the target ptr is swapped with the second target that isn't supposed to die in the first place.
Nice work

So, no more dis?!

So sei que nada sei.
Danesh_italiano is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-21, 08:53   #296
transpilot123

from my POV this was some good animation
transpilot123 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-24, 08:53   #297
DogACTUAL

Winject, you are our last hope. R-DEV team no more give shit about CAS.
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-20, 17:33   #298
Danesh_italiano
Supporting Member

So, is JET/Heli physics getting reverted on 1.6? ALL jets/helis that got touched by rpoxo hands got their physicists REALLY broke. The fast and easy solution is reverting all.
Make cas whores happy again. Thanks.

So sei que nada sei.
Danesh_italiano is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-20, 17:36   #299
[R-DEV]Mineral
Supporting Member

No major rework or revert of any kind is planned.

Old 2019-03-20, 18:25   #300
DogACTUAL

Danes i heard if you ask an R-DEV to do a certain thing 50 times he is contractually obligated to act out your request.

Not only did the DEVs totally throw off the CAS/AA balance and make TOWs useless against tanks, no that was not enough. They also had to introduce their most controversial change yet, a 16 character limit on player names.
------------------
''Mats literally does not give a single fuck what you, me or everybody else thinks the game should be like. He doesn't care if you, me or everybody else plays the game even.'' - Frontliner
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
jets, poxo is ghey