project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:BF2 Support
17 Dec 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Support Help and support regarding PR:BF2 installation and in-game issues

Old 2008-06-16, 13:07   #1
Deadfast
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to Deadfast Send a message via Skype™ to Deadfast
Lightbulb Troubleshooting Guide: Your CD-key is not valid

Following the previous troubleshooting guide focused on general game launching problems, I have written this one. It's focused on those who cannot join any multiplayer server thanks to the error you see above.
As many mistakenly think, this error is mostly not caused by illegal copy of the game. If you are so unlucky to end up with this error your Windows registry key containing your game CD-key is damaged.

The usual recommended fix for this problem is complete reinstall of the game. Even though it will fix the problem it's not necessary to go that far. All you have to do is edit a single value in your registry.

Instructions:
  1. Download and run the BF2 Invalid CD-key Fixer
    • Requires .NET Framework 3.5
    • Must be run as administrator
  2. Enter your CD key
  3. Press Fix

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alternative method...
  • Instructions:
    1. Press Windows key + R (or alternatively go to Start > Run)
    2. Write the following into the opened window: regedit and hit ENTER
    3. Create a registry backup in case something goes wrong (see Restore registry section for instructions on how to restore):
      File > Export... > select All in Export Range (see below for image) > name it, select a location and Save
    4. Browse through the keys (key is the "folder" you can see in tree to the left of the window) to:
      * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2\ergc (you can always see where you are located on the bottom of the registry editor window)
    5. If you have followed the path specified above you should be able to see a registry value called (Default) in the right part of the window
    6. Double-click on the value to open its editor
    7. Delete everything after x9392 (first 5 digits)
    8. Now enter your CD-key (behind the x9392) without dashes or spaces
      If your CD-key would be ABCD-0123-EFGH-4567-IJKL you would write it as ABCD0123EFGH4567IJKL
      Then the complete line would look like: x9392ABCD0123EFGH4567IJKL
    9. Once you're done entering the code simply click on OK, close the registry editor window and you should be all set to play the game again

* The path for 64bit versions of Windows (Vista x64 and XP x64 editions) is different:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2\ergc
      The rest of the guide is not affected.

• Subsection: Restore registry
    aka something went wrong and now my Windows is messed up...

First of all, don't panic.
    If you were following the instructions closely and you still have the registry backup then the fix can't be easier:
    1. Locate the registry backup file (*.reg)
    2. Double-click on the file
    3. Confirm registry import and all overwrite prompts
    4. You registry will be restored to their previous state (before changing the registry value, so you have to retry to make the game work)

• Disclaimer:
    I, nor anybody else, hold any responsibility for any possible hardware or software damage (how unlikely that might be) caused by following these instructions.
Last edited by Deadfast; 2011-03-28 at 07:15..
Old 2008-06-16, 13:27   #2
bosco_
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Troubleshooting guide: Your CD-key is not valid

Nice guide

Maybe add the possibility to re-enter the CD key in the Battlefield 2_code app in Battlefield 2\Support ?

bosco_ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-16, 15:08   #3
Deadfast
Retired PR Developer

I've read there are some issues with this method if you have Special Forces installed.

That's why I like to stay with what I know that really works
Deadfast is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-16, 15:09   #4
bosco_
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Well, the method worked for me, but it's your thread.

bosco_ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-16, 15:36   #5
Deadfast
Retired PR Developer

I'm thankful for any income

Did you have SF installed?
Old 2008-06-17, 06:05   #6
Charlie!

I made a thread on this, First of all I run BF2(Original), Been playin for 3 years now, and it has FH2 characteristics (username screen is brown isnstead of yellow, the little quick play button on the bottom right corner has a blank sqare over it, etc) and when i have the server lists, all bf2 servers, it says CD KEY INVALID, SO: i did the regedit thing, cd key thing is still there, i re-installed bf2 1.41 patch...AND this happened after FH2 and all of its files(which i assume isnt true yet what im going thru) Any ideas?
Charlie! is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-14, 15:50   #7
musp3r

My mate had that invalid cd key problem, and I've pointed him to download bfkeychanger (google) and enter his legit key in the keychanger. It was a 1 min solution and worked right away.

musp3r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 10:09   #8
Rookie
Default Re: Troubleshooting Guide: Your CD-key is not valid

Thank you very much, Musp3r. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit and I couldn't find the register key. The bfkeychanger worked for me.
Rookie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 11:59   #9
Deadfast
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit and I couldn't find the register key.
Guide updated to reflect Vista 64 registry path
Old 2008-09-07, 14:13   #10
Sudano68

I don't even know where my key is. It's a second one, someone got my first one somehow and I had to buy it again, and now I can't find my second.

There is no way on vista you can find that registry to see what it currently is? If I can't find it, I don't know what my cd key is, and I'm not buying a third...

Ok, I didn't see the 64 bit changed. So is your key code somewhere with in all those numbers and letters in ergc?
Sudano68 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
cd key is not valid, cd key problem, cd-key is not valid, cdkey, guide, invalid cd key, troubleshooting, troubleshooting guide, valid