project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:BF2 Support
23 Jul 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
PR:BF2 Support Help and support regarding PR:BF2 installation and in-game issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2024-06-12, 13:57   #1
AlexVelvet
Angry Sound problems

There are no sounds in battle (shots, vehicles, steps). In addition, I constantly hear people from different squads, their nicknames do not appear at the bottom left, as usual. I can hear the music in the menu. I can hear the squad and those nearby. Mumble settings is default. I use bluetooth headphones.
AlexVelvet is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-06-12, 17:08   #2
[R-COM]bad_nade
Support Technician
Supporting Member

bad_nade's Avatar
Default Re: Sound problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexVelvet View Post
There are no sounds in battle (shots, vehicles, steps). In addition, I constantly hear people from different squads, their nicknames do not appear at the bottom left, as usual. I can hear the music in the menu. I can hear the squad and those nearby. Mumble settings is default. I use bluetooth headphones.
You must use wired headset for games that require use of microphone. It's not Project Reality related problem but an universal limitation of Bluetooth. It applies to every software that uses microphone.

This is because Bluetooth uses different profiles for different uses. When you listen music, the active profile is one of the one-way multimedia profiles, like A2DP. It is listen only profile.

When you need to use microphone, BT switches to Hands-Free Profile (HFP), which is very low bitrate mono audio suitable for telephone lines at best.

Because Bluetooth link cannot operate more than one profile at the time, then every time Mumble is running all you can get is HFP profile. It happens automatically when you start PR.

If you open Windows audio devices (right click Start -> Run -> mmsys.cpl), you'll see that you have two playback devices using Bluetooth hardware, one of which is named something like "hands-free" and the other one is named something else. But you only have one hand-free recording device for the same hardware. These different device types, hands-free and non-hands-free, cannot be mixed and matched due to limitation stated above.
bad_nade is offline
Last edited by bad_nade; 2024-06-12 at 17:23..
Reply With Quote
Old 2024-06-14, 07:31   #3
wadu
Default Re: Sound problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_nade View Post
You must use wired headset for games that require use of microphone. It's not Project Reality related problem but an universal limitation of Bluetooth. It applies to every software that uses microphone.

This is because Bluetooth uses different profiles for different uses. When you listen music, the active profile is one of the one-way multimedia profiles, like A2DP. It is listen only profile.

When you need to use microphone, BT switches to Hands-Free Profile (HFP), which is very low bitrate mono audio suitable for telephone lines at best.

Because Bluetooth link cannot operate more than one profile at the time, then every time Mumble is running all you can get is HFP profile. It happens automatically when you start PR.

If you open Windows audio devices (right click Start -> Run -> mmsys.cpl), you'll see that you have two playback devices using Bluetooth hardware, one of which is named something like "hands-free" and the other one is named something else. But you only have one hand-free recording device for the same hardware. These different device types, hands-free and non-hands-free, cannot be mixed and matched due to limitation stated above.
Why is it necessary to use a wired headset for games that require microphone use, rather than Bluetooth?
wadu is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-06-15, 19:25   #4
[R-COM]bad_nade
Support Technician
Supporting Member

bad_nade's Avatar
Default Re: Sound problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadu View Post
Why is it necessary to use a wired headset for games that require microphone use, rather than Bluetooth?
Did you even read my post you quoted? It's all there.
bad_nade is offline Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 14:51.