project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
28 Feb 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2016-04-26, 19:15   #21
WhatTheHell
Banned
Default Re: Is PR serious business? [semi-rant about "What we've become?"]

Murphy brought some good points.

And most evidently, the atmosphere of a server lays on the shoulders of its administration.
I have been witnessing alot of immature behaviors from in-game admins.

This mean admins that troll with the green text, using this new trend that are ''memes''. Failing to grasp the core of an issue between players. Abusing their administrative power.
Ignoring complains. (Leading to the loss of assets)

I saw situations where a bunch of admins were in the same team, and in the same squad, while no admin was in the other team.

All these flaw in administration that can lead a server into chaos. (Like mass Tk's in main, Vehicles crash in main.. etc.. )

But no one really cares enough to take action and solve this problem.

People have been complaining of bad administration for a while now, its just how it is.
WhatTheHell is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-26, 19:36   #22
Rice N. Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
Do we see a way to slowly stop the slip in the opposite direction? Can we facilitate "serious play" on public servers, or do we have to accept that people prefer to derp around instead of being a cohesive unit?
I'm no expert but maybe a deprivation or pay-to-play scheme would work, where 64-player servers are pubs and 100-player servers are clan-only, with password-protected Squad Leads, people have to pay-to-play those while the pubs are more for practice/familiarization
Rice N. Beans is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-26, 20:08   #23
agus92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
I feel the standards at which admins hold players has slipped a lot over the years, this has lead to sub-par SLing and has slowly turned the once obligatory "co-ordination" aspect into an optional facet of the game. I believe part of the issue is that many of the veterans who have moved on failed to pass the torch to the newer members of the community (I'm sure the reasoning is broad and quite varied from person to person).

There have been threads trying to nudge people into re-capturing the once glorious TEAMWORK aspect of the game, but to no avail. In the end I feel it's partly due to how we, the community, have handled the influx of new players since PR became stand-alone. I also feel the administration of servers and how the stance of admins has changed over the years to a much more relaxed, somewhat hands off role has given a lot of leeway for bad habits to form.

I only play with people I know as I have had pretty piss poor experiences with the newer generation of players. Where I once enjoyed SLing squads with a handful of randoms and 2/3 friends, I know try to avoid having more than 1 or 2 randoms. It's quite difficult to force someone into the "old PR mindset", we used to have an environment that facilitated "seriousness" where now we have a "play however you want" mentality becoming quite prevalent.

This has ultimately lead myself, and many people I know, to cringe at the prospect of pubbing. It's just the nature of the beast, if you're not able to find the fun you once had in PR you will turn to other games to find the same experience.

I have a question for you Mouthpiece, or anyone else who took the time to read and reply to this thread.

Do we see a way to slowly stop the slip in the opposite direction? Can we facilitate "serious play" on public servers, or do we have to accept that people prefer to derp around instead of being a cohesive unit?
The way I see it, the lack of good gameplay relies mostly on the lack of good SL's. A lot of people join MIC INF squads searching eagerly for good leadership, and wheb they find it, they mostly comply, specially if they join from the beginning of the match. After mic checks a few rotten apples may remain, but usually no more than two, that can be easily kicked.

The problem for people who enjoy "seriousness" is coordination with other squads, since it's difficult to see more than two good inf squads in the same team (although three is still doable).
agus92 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-26, 20:10   #24
LiamNL
Supporting Member

Wait wait wait, you are suggesting that servers have a white list for people who payed them money, just so they can be with more people in a round? For a free mod, whilst there are still other servers up offering the same thing but for free. (because face it not everybody would be after money for a server to put up a pay wall). That will be the most empty servers in the entirety of PR, it might even force a good deal of people away from it who otherwise would've enjoyed it without locking the squad leading position.
LiamNL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-26, 20:11   #25
agus92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice N. Beans View Post
I'm no expert but maybe a deprivation or pay-to-play scheme would work, where 64-player servers are pubs and 100-player servers are clan-only, with password-protected Squad Leads, people have to pay-to-play those while the pubs are more for practice/familiarization
That wouldn't work for most of the community (including people that enjoys seriousness), specially after having the game free. The best possible outcome of that would be a massive migration to Squad.
agus92 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-26, 20:46   #26
Rice N. Beans

Well he asked how to differentiate/segregate the new influx of players from the serious players

In my brainstorm idea the serious players pay their admin to play on their servers, or perhaps pay for a password to be Squad Lead

Maybe restructure the game also, so that players who lose are made into servant squad-mates for those squad leads that won in the next round -- else when they get kicked from the squad they get kicked from the server in this enhanced Seriousness Server version or I dunno lol

While this is going on, in my imaginary scenario, there will be other smaller 64-player servers where derp-age can continue uninhibited -- kind of like a getaway
Rice N. Beans is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-26, 21:01   #27
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Holy shit that pay to play thing... It could actually work. But I guess that's for a another thread.

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-26, 21:12   #28
Rice N. Beans

How can it work? And in what ways can it make the Squad Lead role a serious one, and make Squad Mates fall in line more readily?

when Squad Leads who get sick of pubbers save up some money and pays a Seriousness Server admin to be a Squad Lead on their 100+ player server

that in my imainary scenario shifts the players around by pairing poor-performing players with high-performing Squadleads, not only for fairness but also so that the various paying Squad Leads become like drill sergeants and mercilessly teach intrepid players how to be disciplined, and then can cross-pollinate to the lesser 64-player servers to trade one form of abuse for another

It would be like a factory churning out mil-sim people
Anybody go ahead and use this idea or post it elsewhere if you like

Apparently I'm a harbinger of spiderpeople? And it's sexually-transmitted??
Last edited by Rice N. Beans; 2016-04-26 at 21:20..
Old 2016-04-26, 21:18   #29
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

You're right. It's for a different thread.

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-26, 21:31   #30
anantdeathhawk

I think a real life ranking system could curb this problem a bit as reward can be a incentive to play seriously.There are many who when given the SL, give up right away saying that they don't wanna give orders but wanna take orders from a SL. On the other times the guy who was the SL in the previous map is just a squad mate in the current map and still he acts like a SL or just leaves.

The other thing could be done is a reward in the form of tactical aid like artillery or something else.
Most stragglers are snipers and marksmen in the inf squad and at other times they are just not liked by other squads.So maybe these kits needs to be looked at.

Lastly a score system that takes in account like deaths,kills,etc rather than just flag capture score to be at the top.Or should rather remove the whole score system that shows a list of top 20 people and their stats.

How people get hooked on to other games like say BF3 or FARCRY4. It has a hierarchical system in which you don't get to have everything rather you have to earn it.
anantdeathhawk is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
business, lack, questions, semirant, serious, teamwork, what weve become