project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
18 Sep 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2021-07-22, 11:36   #11
[R-CON]​Hans_Strudel
PR:BF2 Contributor

Default Re: (Vehicle) Stryker MGS - M1128 Mobile Gun System

Good model made in such a short time!
But i would suggest make a highpoly model and bake some details for your low poly model - that will save you another 1-2k triangles.
For example these areas marked red do not extrude a lot and at longer distances might start z-fighting, so it would be much easier to just bake them on turret. Turret itself can be optimised with less sides and baked too (for example T-62 turret is about 16 sides round and i can't tell it's sharp, but need to look at topology to be sure ). Green marks areas i would likely delete at all since players would never see it (except you decide to add something interesting like turret knocking out on wreckage geometry). Also you can delete faces on bottom of the turret since they are looking at hull and players would never see them too.

As for UV you shown, there are plenty of free space that can be used for more detailed texture. Less free space on UV the better it will be (2k texture will remain 2k but with a lot of unused space there will be a lot of dead weight and texture in game would look like 1k). I marked most noticeable areas you can fill with little UV islands grouped on top and right edges.
Hans_Strudel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-22, 16:28   #12
LangMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans_Strudel View Post
Good model made in such a short time!
But i would suggest make a highpoly model and bake some details for your low poly model - that will save you another 1-2k triangles.
For example these areas marked red do not extrude a lot and at longer distances might start z-fighting, so it would be much easier to just bake them on turret. Turret itself can be optimised with less sides and baked too (for example T-62 turret is about 16 sides round and i can't tell it's sharp, but need to look at topology to be sure ). Green marks areas i would likely delete at all since players would never see it (except you decide to add something interesting like turret knocking out on wreckage geometry). Also you can delete faces on bottom of the turret since they are looking at hull and players would never see them too.

As for UV you shown, there are plenty of free space that can be used for more detailed texture. Less free space on UV the better it will be (2k texture will remain 2k but with a lot of unused space there will be a lot of dead weight and texture in game would look like 1k). I marked most noticeable areas you can fill with little UV islands grouped on top and right edges.

You gotta go a bit slower on me, since i have never touched baking, but i somehow found out that making model is actually an easy job for me, i will try to check out tutorials on youtube about baking stuff, about the green area, i think it should probably stay as i made it because that thing lifts up with the turret depression.
The UV is generated by blender smart uv thingy, it should pack all the models nicely on the uv so it uses the least space, and i really have no clue how am i suppose to put something into these empty places, the only thing really i am missing is the machine gun tripod or whate ever it is, and one more camera on top of the turret but that will be another tris so yeah.

So the ingame models are running 2k texture and you cannot go beyond that?
and how many tris you want this thing to have, as i said earlier it's not like other turrets, this thing looks like your first house in minecraft made out of dirt, mostly turrets are round or just boxy like leo or abrams has.

DISCORD - Suportík#2870
LangMaster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-22, 17:08   #13
[R-CON]​Hans_Strudel
PR:BF2 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LangMaster View Post
You gotta go a bit slower on me, since i have never touched baking, but i somehow found out that making model is actually an easy job for me, i will try to check out tutorials on youtube about baking stuff, about the green area, i think it should probably stay as i made it because that thing lifts up with the turret depression.
The UV is generated by blender smart uv thingy, it should pack all the models nicely on the uv so it uses the least space, and i really have no clue how am i suppose to put something into these empty places, the only thing really i am missing is the machine gun tripod or whate ever it is, and one more camera on top of the turret but that will be another tris so yeah.

So the ingame models are running 2k texture and you cannot go beyond that?
and how many tris you want this thing to have, as i said earlier it's not like other turrets, this thing looks like your first house in minecraft made out of dirt, mostly turrets are round or just boxy like leo or abrams has.
You can move islands by hand, and Blender honestly have great tools since in 3ds you need to make islands lined up by hand, as for MG - better finish MG and then proceed to UVing, unless you want to make with different texture.

For resolution - no, you can go with whatever resolution you need, so just refer to overall quality of textured model. That's why the less space you have on your UV, the less resolution it would require to make model looks good. Usually 2k is maximum in PR, but plently of textures are 512x512 or 1k (also there are non squared resolutions like 1024x2048 ) . Just keep in mind the less texture size the lighter model will be for game engine and people will less likely CTD when they see your vehicle )).

You can always check in game assets for inspiration and learning.
Hans_Strudel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-22, 17:23   #14
LangMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans_Strudel View Post
You can move islands by hand, and Blender honestly have great tools since in 3ds you need to make islands lined up by hand, as for MG - better finish MG and then proceed to UVing, unless you want to make with different texture.

For resolution - no, you can go with whatever resolution you need, so just refer to overall quality of textured model. That's why the less space you have on your UV, the less resolution it would require to make model looks good. Usually 2k is maximum in PR, but plently of textures are 512x512 or 1k (also there are non squared resolutions like 1024x2048 ) . Just keep in mind the less texture size the lighter model will be for game engine and people will less likely CTD when they see your vehicle )).

You can always check in game assets for inspiration and learning.
Oh this is gonna be pain, well, i am gonna try make a high poly model with all the metal nails on it and stuff so my blender blows up, i am gonna try somehow cut the tris for the low poly version which i have no idea how, then i am gonna try to generate a texture with a blender which i have some ideas for, gonna do some final painting with hand and then i am gonna try to put it together and see what kind of mess its gonna make.

DISCORD - Suportík#2870
Old 2021-07-23, 20:38   #15
anantdeathhawk

Optimization!

"remove" the vertices and lines in red, you'll get the idea. They aren't required as they are not helping the model stay in shape.

Look in this tread for how to optimize.
Here

Also check out this T80 WIP.
Here

Last edited by anantdeathhawk; 2021-07-23 at 20:44..
Old 2021-07-24, 20:56   #16
LangMaster

No worries, i am using a modifier which removes unnecessary vertices for me from the model, though i still have no idea how to decrease all the tris from the model, i am at 6k right now and the lowest i think i can do is 5k if i do something horrible with the smoke launchers, because there is 16 of them.
As i said earlier this thing looks like your first minecraft house built out of dirt in your first days. It's not round it's not symmetric in any way. It's the most complicated gun turret you can find on this green rock.

Right now i am working on a high poly version so i could put the details and every nail into the texture. Though about the tris i still don't have a single idea.

DISCORD - Suportík#2870
Old 2021-07-25, 13:01   #17
LangMaster

Question, can the game actually animate cannons upon shooting, ?

DISCORD - Suportík#2870
Old 2021-07-25, 15:45   #18
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LangMaster View Post
Question, can the game actually animate cannons upon shooting, ?
Depends what you mean. The barrel can move back and forth due to recoil, but we cannot do the tank-salute for reloading.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-25, 16:04   #19
LangMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats391 View Post
Depends what you mean. The barrel can move back and forth due to recoil, but we cannot do the tank-salute for reloading.
Ah sick ! okay alright nice, would love to see this in one as well since i made the barrel separate, can the vehicle move back on recoil? since the MGS is very top heavy it bounces to side to side like a jelly when shooting lol.

DISCORD - Suportík#2870
Old 2021-07-25, 17:26   #20
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Yes, our tanks already move due to force of firing.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote