project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
18 Sep 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2021-06-01, 17:38   #11
Brotherscompany
PR Server License Moderator
Default Re: We Need More Servers

More servers wont fix anything.

You don't have or at least time it was tried, you dont have enough player base to fill 2 servers. At most you get 60-70 players on the second one which feel like a half of PR match, and then players stop seeding because it costs time to get the server to that point and have a inferior experience than waiting 15min to join HOG.

And then there are the attacks which pretty much fucked every single server. TBH remove HOG and you are basically killing PR and its hopes for the future unless the situation changes.
Brotherscompany is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-01, 20:27   #12
Esunmanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherscompany View Post
More servers wont fix anything.

You don't have or at least time it was tried, you dont have enough player base to fill 2 servers. At most you get 60-70 players on the second one which feel like a half of PR match, and then players stop seeding because it costs time to get the server to that point and have a inferior experience than waiting 15min to join HOG.

And then there are the attacks which pretty much fucked every single server. TBH remove HOG and you are basically killing PR and its hopes for the future unless the situation changes.
With 60/70 players the players do not leave the server. I, like many others, had rarely entered HOG until this situation.

I'd rather play with a good pin 30 vs 30 than 50 vs 50 with a bad pin.
Esunmanta is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-01, 20:39   #13
Brotherscompany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esunmanta View Post
With 60/70 players the players do not leave the server. I, like many others, had rarely entered HOG until this situation.

I'd rather play with a good pin 30 vs 30 than 50 vs 50 with a bad pin.
Im really curious to meet the people you play with.

With 60/70 players l myself would eventually quit a server that l seeded, me and almost every PR player and that is what tends to happen. I guarantee you after the round is over the server drops to 40/50 and then it depops.

People dont care about ping, at least not as much to sacrifice the experince on playing on lower ping servers, we are not playing CS or some E Sport game. There are there are people playing the game with 200 ping, for me as long it doesn't go pass 150 shouldn't impact the gameplay that much. I see that you live in Spain l assume you play with a better ping than l do
Old 2021-06-01, 21:32   #14
Esunmanta

Quote:
Im really curious to meet the people you play with.

With 60/70 players l myself would eventually quit a server that l seeded, me and almost every PR player and that is what tends to happen. I guarantee you after the round is over the server drops to 40/50 and then it depops.

People dont care about ping, at least not as much to sacrifice the experince on playing on lower ping servers, we are not playing CS or some E Sport game. There are there are people playing the game with 200 ping, for me as long it doesn't go pass 150 shouldn't impact the gameplay that much. I see that you live in Spain l assume you play with a better ping than l do
I would like to clarify that I have nothing against HOG, I love it, but I am from Europe.

Well, I don't think so. When it's 7:00 p.m. and you're on a 30 vs 30 server, you held on and it was filling up. At 1:00 (1 a.m.) you obviously leave. Most players play at that time in Europe. This is why I hardly ever enter HOG. I didn't need it. That is the question. We need a server for Europe.

The pin is noticeable in close encounters or when running dodging bullets. Sometimes I die behind the corner. I play HOG I have no choice but pin matters in some situations.

The key is that new people don't know the autodeploy trick (in server info) and there is only one full server all the time.
Old 2021-06-02, 02:22   #15
Brotherscompany

Quote:
Well, I don't think so. When it's 7:00 p.m. and you're on a 30 vs 30 server, you held on and it was filling up. At 1:00 (1 a.m.) you obviously leave. Most players play at that time in Europe. This is why I hardly ever enter HOG. I didn't need it. That is the question. We need a server for Europe.
This is going to be quite some wall of text (gonna pull a GRUMP here) this is a complex topic that cant be replied in a few lines, its basically a resume of current situation of PR... (so pls have the patience to read it [took me more than 1h to write it ])

Just for some background to support my claims.
l have been involved in seeding the last 2 years trying to get other server up while HOG was either full or the n*1 populated server. 1 year and 2 months of that time l was actually active seeding almost every single day, the remaining it was me just AFK seeding and checking PR SPY several times per day almost everyday.
lm a Admin in almost every server, and l used to stay around from the EU afternoon till 10P-2AM, so I have some experience in knowing how players behave and what are the patterns on EU time (I usually predict on how stuff is going to turn out, even in cases when other people are disagreeing with me)

For starters if HOG (or any other server really) is up you will have a hard time having another server up. Its going to be hard on retaining the population and sometimes it just fails on getting players to join a secondary server let alone seed it, which will result on a depop most often than not a decrease on the frequency that the server goes up over time. That has been the case for years, last time we were able to do that was after much effort was after patch 1.6 which caused a huge influx of players. Some background on the subject (keep in my mind almost the same happened on week-ends)
  • PRE 1.6 PRTA: tried to seed with HOG always being up, sometimes we were able to do so and we had a full server for 2-3 rounds till 9.30PM-10PM GMT (this hour is when the depop will start), this when we still had a lot of clans and veterans around that joined PRTA not to play on HOG (compared to today). With time that became harder and harder to do and server only seeded few times per month, we just hit those 30vs30 rounds in peak hours, people stopped joining/seeding because it wasnt worth it/they didnt want to waste their time to play on those conditions when they could join HOG and we just stopped trying over time
  • SSG/U777: had a huge number of seeders, they would hit 20-30 players a bit more sometimes they would catch more players (up to 60) but most often they failed and the server would die out.
  • FCV:they actually pulled it off most often than not, but that was because BlueDrake was behind it, and a shit ton of people that disliked HOG and it was the only Alternative to a NA server.
  • Gamma Group: we were able to seed with the help of FCV but on the long term, it was basically the "same" pattern that happened with PRTA
  • Boomer server: unfortunately cant make it past 50-70 players, this by calling out veterans on the premise of higher gameplay quality that made a lot of veterans quit the game (within other reasons).

For you to even be able to seed or have a server reaching those numbers you need:
  • The other primary server consistently full (or have it depop in favor of yours, big surprise its a rare thing), otherwise players wont join yours (so a big player base, which we dont have [although there has been a new player influx])
  • Dedicated and engaged community, most often than not they need a reason to seed. Hating HOG over the last years has been the most effective way on rallying people (and that alone is no longer enough since a lot of veterans left the game and that sentiment has seemed to have faded a bit)
  • Dedicated Admin team whiling to put more hours than you can even imagine to making sure that: the seed starts a few hours before; you set the correct maps and control the server hours [Shout out for you guys, the real silent PR MVPs]. I promise you, only a handful of people have that availability or patience, it burns you out over time.
  • Luck of the PR gods in making another server crash. Realistically that is how 95% how other servers pooped up to a point where it was basically the only way, and that is almost out of the question since server stability was improved A LOT

If all of this indeed works, and you always hit around 60-70 players, l assure over time people will stop seeding or joining. You can only effectively seed on a few overplayed seeding maps. You can only play on a few normal maps with that population without it feeling a dead round. With time I assure players will get sick of the same maps (this already happens on normal map rotation) or not having that PR kick on low pop or not being able to use Assets.This without mentioning how easy it is to depop a server due to poor map selection. That is simply how PR players mind work, and this was seen in Veterans with their with political (server) views and reasons behind their acts, the regular player wont act differently based on Ping or because its a EU server, he never did.

And this is going to be a Topic where we stay quiet and dont explicitly talk about it
If you are luck to get all of this working, good luck surviving the current attacks situation. It will crash your server, people will stop seeding your server because its going to crash and play on server they know wont crash, not to mention how expensive it is to afford protection. That is the reason you saw so many server disappearing and we have HOG 24/7.

TLDR:I would love to be proven wrong but adding more servers wont fix anything based on the current situation as well as for the requirements for a consistent successful server, even if your perfect server is on 30vs30 . Its not as easy as simply creating servers and voila (as completely explained in my text) , several years with a larger and more dedicated player base have proved this, I have a very hard time believing this one occurrence will prove me wrong.
Last edited by Brotherscompany; 2021-06-02 at 03:14.. Reason: Clearer reading
Old 2021-06-02, 03:03   #16
Brotherscompany

Quote:
The key is that new people don't know the autodeploy trick (in server info) and there is only one full server all the time.
Auto Deploy is completely bugged for some people and wont work. For me it fails me to actually deploy on the server 50% of the time.

If you think its though to get on a server as a regular player, you should have played on server with reserved seats.
Old 2021-06-02, 03:35   #17
Esunmanta

Quote:
This is going to be quite some wall of text (gonna pull a GRUMP here) this is a complex topic that cant be replied in a few lines, its basically a resume of current situation of PR... (so pls have the patience to read it [took me more than 1h to write it ])

Just for some background to support my claims.
l have been involved in seeding the last 2 years trying to get other server up while HOG was either full or the n*1 populated server. 1 year and 2 months of that time l was actually active seeding almost every single day, the remaining it was me just AFK seeding and checking PR SPY several times per day almost everyday.
lm a Admin in almost every server, and l used to stay around from the EU afternoon till 10P-2AM, so I have some experience in knowing how players behave and what are the patterns on EU time (I usually predict on how stuff is going to turn out, even in cases when other people are disagreeing with me)

For starters if HOG (or any other server really) is up you will have a hard time having another server up. Its going to be hard on retaining the population and sometimes it just fails on getting players to join a secondary server let alone seed it, which will result on a depop most often than not a decrease on the frequency that the server goes up over time. That has been the case for years, last time we were able to do that was after much effort was after patch 1.6 which caused a huge influx of players. Some background on the subject (keep in my mind almost the same happened on week-ends)
  • PRE 1.6 PRTA: tried to seed with HOG always being up, sometimes we were able to do so and we had a full server for 2-3 rounds till 9.30PM-10PM GMT (this hour is when the depop will start), this when we still had a lot of clans and veterans around that joined PRTA not to play on HOG (compared to today). With time that became harder and harder to do and server only seeded few times per month, we just hit those 30vs30 rounds in peak hours, people stopped joining/seeding because it wasnt worth it/they didnt want to waste their time to play on those conditions when they could join HOG and we just stopped trying over time
  • SSG/U777: had a huge number of seeders, they would hit 20-30 players a bit more sometimes they would catch more players (up to 60) but most often they failed and the server would die out.
  • FCV:they actually pulled it off most often than not, but that was because BlueDrake was behind it, and a shit ton of people that disliked HOG and it was the only Alternative to a NA server.
  • Gamma Group: we were able to seed with the help of FCV but on the long term, it was basically the "same" pattern that happened with PRTA
  • Boomer server: unfortunately cant make it past 50-70 players, this by calling out veterans on the premise of higher gameplay quality that made a lot of veterans quit the game (within other reasons).

For you to even be able to seed or have a server reaching those numbers you need:
  • The other primary server consistently full (or have it depop in favor of yours, big surprise its a rare thing), otherwise players wont join yours (so a big player base, which we dont have [although there has been a new player influx])
  • Dedicated and engaged community, most often than not they need a reason to seed. Hating HOG over the last years has been the most effective way on rallying people (and that alone is no longer enough since a lot of veterans left the game and that sentiment has seemed to have faded a bit)
  • Dedicated Admin team whiling to put more hours than you can even imagine to making sure that: the seed starts a few hours before; you set the correct maps and control the server hours [Shout out for you guys, the real silent PR MVPs]. I promise you, only a handful of people have that availability or patience, it burns you out over time.
  • Luck of the PR gods in making another server crash. Realistically that is how 95% how other servers pooped up to a point where it was basically the only way, and that is almost out of the question since server stability was improved A LOT

If all of this indeed works, and you always hit around 60-70 players, l assure over time people will stop seeding or joining. You can only effectively seed on a few overplayed seeding maps. You can only play on a few normal maps with that population without it feeling a dead round. With time I assure players will get sick of the same maps (this already happens on normal map rotation) or not having that PR kick on low pop or not being able to use Assets.This without mentioning how easy it is to depop a server due to poor map selection. That is simply how PR players mind work, and this was seen in Veterans with their with political (server) views and reasons behind their acts, the regular player wont act differently based on Ping or because its a EU server, he never did.

And this is going to be a Topic where we stay quiet and dont explicitly talk about it
If you are luck to get all of this working, good luck surviving the current attacks situation. It will crash your server, people will stop seeding your server because its going to crash and play on server they know wont crash, not to mention how expensive it is to afford protection. That is the reason you saw so many server disappearing.

TLDR:I would love to be proven wrong but adding more servers wont fix anything based on the current situation as well as for the requirements for a consistent successful server, even if your perfect server is on 30vs30 . Its not as easy as simply creating servers and voila (as completely explained in my text) , several years with a larger and more dedicated player base have proved this, I have a very hard time believing this one occurrence will prove me wrong.
Thank you very much for the reply. At no point I did say it was easy. The optimal situation is the one we had with PRTA (I remember as a solid server with long time up ┬┐am I wrong?). And we could have a server like that. I still think that the situation with the servers does not favor the arrival of new players. I already explained why.

Put yourself in the shoes of a new player. I think it's easier to play with a full server and another with 60 players than with a single full server that you don't know how to enter. Because in the other servers people do not speak English and this is a team and communication game. Although this new player enter the Russian or Latin server, the experience would not be good. If there was a system like in squad that automatically queues you, without the autodeploy trick I wouldn't say this.
Old 2021-06-06, 18:29   #18
ademalut

Quote:
the autodeploy trick to enter HOG.
whats the trick? is it using autodeploy normally? it doesn't work when pr minimized and pressing update list again and again is very tedious.
thanks.
Last edited by ademalut; 2021-06-06 at 18:35.. Reason: fixing quote
Old 2021-06-06, 23:36   #19
Esunmanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ademalut View Post
whats the trick? is it using autodeploy normally? it doesn't work when pr minimized and pressing update list again and again is very tedious.
thanks.
For HOG, server info, autodeploy and put 100. It works, sometimes I have to do 2 times, but it works. Keep in mind you can't minimize PR.
Old 2021-06-07, 02:00   #20
Coalz101

Quote:
For HOG, server info, autodeploy and put 100. It works, sometimes I have to do 2 times, but it works. Keep in mind you can't minimize PR.
just autodeploy with blank (blank space = 100 players) and press enter when it says joining, that works for me.

Coalz101 is offline Reply With Quote