project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:BF2 Support
22 Jan 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Support Help and support regarding PR:BF2 installation and in-game issues

Old 2008-04-11, 10:39   #31
bosco_
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Upload is at 75%, will put the link in this post.

Here we go:
RapidShare: 1-Click Webhosting

bosco_ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 11:22   #32
kilroy0097
Supporting Member

I have downloaded the file. Thank you very much (R-PUB)bosco for your help.

This issue, as wide spread and as random as it is with which files are effected, may lead to some sort of community share file area. A location on the web where people can upload specific files or even someone who never has issues with PB to put their entire /mods/bf2 directory files online some place just so anyone with PB MD5 kick issues can download a file that is giving them problems and see if it works. While I find the very thought of this seriously broken considering everyone owns the game and are installing clean installs and should never ever have this sort of issue; it may have to be done. It is indeed happening and is not isolated in its scope. What a colossal headache this has become.

PR Developers. Is there any ways, even minutely, that the installation or playing of PR is the culprit to these seemingly random corrupted or changed files? Is it possible that crashes of the game or random disconnects are causing some kind of change to these core files? Would this problem be averted if all files in /mods/bf2/ were set write protected and so could never be changed? I would like some input on this theory. Thank you.

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
kilroy0097 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 14:21   #33
Zimmer
Supporting Member

I updated pb manualy and havent go the issue after that will see if i get it today.

People don't realize that autism doesn't mean they're "stupid". Just socially inept. Like rhino... > > or in a worst case scenario... Wicca. =)- Lithium fox
I found this sentence quite funny and since this is a war game forum I will put it here. No offense to the french just a good laugh.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. All you do is leave behind a lot of noisy baggage."
Zimmer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 16:19   #34
kilroy0097
Supporting Member

I was looking at all the files within the "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\" directory and I saw a few files that have .md5 attached to them.

Examples:
bst_archive.md5
bst_archive_mod.md5
std_archive.md5
std_archive_mod.md5

And within the "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\Levels\" directory I find within each levels map folder the following file: archive.md5

My specific question to the Developers of PR is this:

What purpose do these archive md5 files serve and would it be possible that these are the root of the issue?

This question is asked due to the changes in files with the pr mod how does Punk Buster use the md5 files to check files in the /mods/bf2/ folder when the game is primarily using the /mods/pr/ folder files. Also one fix in the past for the shaders_client.zip error was to replace the bf2 shaders_client.zip with the PR's shaders_client.zip file. However the bf2 version is 223,590 in size and the PR version is 188,788. So you would think the md5 check would see that is different than the original BF2 files and hence reject it and yet it doesn't and it accepts it. (Huh?)

If perchance the client.zip or shaders_client.zip or any of these MD5 Punk Buster errors are happening due to errors in these archive MD5 files then we might be able to narrow down the problem. All of these files are 360byte in size and in the levels 530 according to WinXP simple dir command and they do not seem to be modified as they have 8/18/2006 last modification dates.

I found the following article that shows how to generate these .md5 files with an executable file.
Ensuring Proper Md5 Generation - Official BF Editor Forums

Quote:
Using the previous method for creating MD5s may have mixed results. I have created an exe using the generate_md5.py file for maximum portability. Just copy the files into your Battlefield 2 directory, run the generate_md5.exe your_mod_name and it will create all the md5s for the content.

When creating the client/server builds these are the required files:

Server Build Requires:
bst_archive.md5
bst_archive_mod.md5
std_archive.md5
std_archive_mod.md5

Clients Build Requires:
std_archive.md5
std_archive_mod.md5

Hope this helps in weeding out malicious users from cheating in your mods. This uses the stock Dice generation python, but makes it just a double click away. No need for installing Python, configuring path..etc. Double click and go.

Files:

Rar with exe file (all required): http://www.mnmcreationsllc.com/games...5Generator.rar
Readme: http://www.mnmcreationsllc.com/games/md5s/Readme.txt
If these archive.md5 files are the root of the issue would an application like this, which rebuilds them from scratch, be helpful in fixing the issue? It makes no mention of remaking the .md5 files within Levels but does say it rebuilds the std_archive.md5 and std_archive_mod.md5 files.

There is also mention of a execution called md5sum. According to Wikipedia, md5sum is a computer program which calculates and verifies 128-bit MD5 hashes, as described in RFC 1321. So could these HASH be corrupted in some way in the archive.md5 files and hence if we just rebuild the .md5 files using a similar executable as I mentioned above, this would fix the issue? Much like if a SSH key is corrupted you erase the key file and regenerate the SSH key on the fly making a new stable one.

Looking at this site for their issues:
http://www.punksbusted.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t47874.html

Is that true what I see there that each server keeps updated HASH keys for track with PB comparing to client files of players on the server? If so what if those HASH keys are wrong in some way or wrong for some people. Would it generate a PB error on Mismatching MD5 Hash keys? Would this explain why some servers have a lot less issues than others on the MD5 kicks?

Edit Add: Additionally after looking at the .md5 files I noticed there are 10 HASH per file. Which elude that there are 10 different versions or possible versions of the original file. Or there are multiple files in which this one .md5 file has HASH for such as it's the HASH for 10 different files in the directory. Thought the .md5 files in Level Map directories also have 10 Hashes so that's kind of odd.

Would it be better to ask such a technical question in attempts to troubleshoot this issue in the Developers portion of the forums? Sorry to be asking these difficult questions but I am really trying to go out of my way to come up with a possible solution for these errors which are really plaguing the PR community at this time and cause a lot of headaches.
Last edited by kilroy0097; 2008-04-12 at 17:02..
Old 2008-04-12, 18:20   #35
Zeppelin35

I honestly have to say just get rid of the new punkbuster system. Most of the people affected by it are honest gamers and if the only cheating going on is switching the shaders what's the problem? Also during the three months of playing PR I have never run into a single problem. Yes we found a solution for some people but I don't think we have to go through this headache just because of a few minor cheaters. If someone can please give me a good reason to keep this punkbuster over the old one I will retract my statement. Thank you.
Zeppelin35 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 16:19   #36
kilroy0097
Supporting Member

Worked like a charm for a whole 2 hours. Then BAM! another PB MD5 kick error.

Error: Punkbuster Kicked player 'Player' ...MD5Tool Mismatch: mods\bf2\Levels\Mashtuur_City\client.zip (len=2048)

So I guess I need a working Mashtuur City file that hasn't been corrupted by the magical fairy goblin troll of PR. Do I need to sacrifice virgins?

(R-PUB)bosco. Mind sharing me your client.zip for Mastuur_City please?

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
Old 2008-04-13, 17:08   #37
Deadfast
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to Deadfast

Uploading...
Deadfast is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 18:34   #38
Deadfast
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to Deadfast

Sorry for taking so long but I totally forgot about it

Download - ifile.it
Deadfast is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 18:53   #39
bosco_
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I see Deadfast uploaded his.
If you still need mine, give me a shout.

bosco_ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 19:23   #40
kilroy0097
Supporting Member

Thanks. Downloading now.

Tags
error, md5tool, mismatch, punkbuster, troubleshooting