project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
20 Nov 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2011-09-29, 19:15   #31
[R-MOD]Spec
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Default Re: Comprehensive small arms Deviation list for 0.97

Don't directly quote me at anything here, this is not 'original research', I've just been given bits of information, that, despite myself not fully understanding it, I guess I should share for people to analyze:

This contains a brief explanation of most lines in the tweak files, although it is not 100% reliable (not made by me, don't ask me in case of any errors inside ). It appears to be the case that all the deviation values are in degrees, with MinDev obviously being the minimum deviation, MaxDev the maximum deviation caused by that action, and the rest being how much deviation is added, although I do not know, for example, if movement adds deviation 'per time', 'per distance moved' or whatever, let alone how much in what time/distance.

The calculation for the actual size of the cone of fire (in meters) would be:

A = 2B tan C

A = Width of the cone of fire (meters)
B = Range to target (meters)
C = "max dev" (degrees)

Again, this is information I've been given, not information I have personally dug up, so I can't tell you much more.

According to that calculation, and the assumption that the deviation is in degrees, there's some odd results that I don't understand. The higher the number, the higher the deviation, so I wouldn't know why the M4 would have a higher deviation when prone compared to standing, as that clearly isn't supposed to be the case (and I wouldn't say I'd have noticed it being that way in-game either).

Anyway, let's use a random number to see how realistic the results are. Let's use a deviation of 3 degrees (that number appears a lot), and an example distance of 25 meters. tan(3) = ~0.05?

Thus,
A = 2 * 25 * 0.05

Therefore,

A = 2.5m

Means at 25 meters, a deviation of '3' in the code would equal 2.5m of deviation. That could be realistic, seeing of far stuff deviates in-game.

Still doesn't explain how the M4 has a higher prone deviation than standing deviation...

Anyway; once we figured out how exactly that stuff works - would a number of people possibly be interested in getting a community wiki started, seeing how the guide is going nowhere and even disappeared from the site? The devs don't seem to work on it from all I know, so perhaps it might be something for the community to simply start with. That said, I myself have never been a great wiki editor and wouldn't want to 'lead' a project like that, but perhaps some of you lot have some experience with that and we should just get that done seeing how nothing official is likely ever going to be released.

--- currently reduced activity ---
Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature!
Old 2011-09-29, 22:15   #32
TheComedian

In the end all math is useless because of a funny object called the BF2 hitbox.

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/uploads/signatures/sigpic52084_1.gif
TheComedian is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-29, 22:19   #33
saXoni
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComedian View Post
In the end all math is useless because of a funny object called the BF2 hitbox.
That's not true. This is about deviation, not whether the hit is recorded or not.
saXoni is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-29, 23:33   #34
Mikemonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyrus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemonster View Post
I'm sure there is a file somewhere (openable by BFeditor.exe as mentioned at the top of the tweak files?) that states exactly what we want to know.
There is... I pointed you to it earlier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemonster
noting the deviation, recoil, damage, deviation when settled, target grouping on full auto values for each soldier carried gun in PR
All of those values are in the tweak files; The target grouping... I'm not sure what you mean? What range are you talking about, and are you looking for like "Max 6m grouping @ 300m" or something?

From what I understand from your post above, it's not that the information isn't available... it's that it's "inconvenient" to look at, and we'd prefer it in a pre-formatted table form? I'm guessing the devs have some sort of reference, but whether they'll share that or expect you/me/people to use the data we already have... I dunno
Yes Psyrus you pointed me towards the tweak files, which I am thankful for. But I was after one comprehensive file that allows a direct comparison of all of the attributes of the guns.. See my previous post as to why:

Quote:
Re: Comprehensive small arms Deviation list for 0.97
I could have spent the best part of several days Googling and reading up on all of the lines, but it's really not of any interest to me apart from the practical side of just knowing exactly what the characteristics of the guns are.

Surely with the age of information there is some way to MailMerge all of the text files into a spreadsheet? I really didn't want to copy and paste each line you see.. it'd take days.

Hence why I asked the MODs if we could just have the info. Infantry warfare in PR is so delicate and hated/moaned about that I'm sure there is a file somewhere (openable by BFeditor.exe as mentioned at the top of the tweak files?) that states exactly what we want to know.

How could the mods balance infantry play if they didn't have a list of stats for each gun?
Basically the information has ALREADY been made, compared and tweaked for each rifle. I just wanted the MODs to give us this file.

It's not going to make us into super l33t players, just take away some of the frustration and guesswork that even experienced players have.

Mikemonster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 15:20   #35
[R-DEV]​Outlawz7
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXoni View Post
It doesn't look like the MODs want to give us this information.
Who do you mean by 'MODs'?

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 15:35   #36
saXoni
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Outlawz View Post
Who do you mean by 'MODs'?
Sorry, I meant the guys developing this game.
saXoni is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 22:03   #37
Mikemonster

Mm, I think I started that in all caps. Sorry about that, I meant devs, lol. Not much sleep lately.

Mikemonster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 00:19   #38
jimbobjim

For the best ever explanation of deviation and how to understand the code in the files:

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10-...-its-made.html
jimbobjim is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
097, arms, comprehensive, deviation, list, small