project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
30 Nov 2022, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2009-11-15, 01:08   #1
Snazz
Supporting Member

Default 3D/HUD Icons

Are there any plans to add more 3D/HUD Icons?

For example if you had a pilot kit you might see supply drop & pickup requests as markers/icons on the HUD. Similar to the current ability to identify wounded teammates on the HUD when you are a medic.

I expect it's something that has been suggested and discussed before within the DEV team, so this more of a basic query/discussion-starter than a suggestion.

I don't think HUD clutter would be an issue considering we can just hit ALT to easily toggle 3D icons/markers already.
Snazz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 01:23   #2
loki1120
Banned
Default Re: 3D/HUD Icons

The US Army has, and with select units, already started to use a system called Land Warrior. it shows :

waypoints.
routes.
compas.

target marker. maybe bring back the enemy markers, but just for the map, and only shows if you hit them. not B4 and dosent show the name.

digital Pictures and Video.
current objective/orders
GPS locator(for all friendlies too)

the rest dosent matter.

but i agree with the pilots needing a updated HUD, target markers are a must, along with LZ,DZ,PZ's
loki1120 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 10:06   #3
Himalde

Add 3D marker for friendly grenade traps, making them useful near caches. Now if you set one up, it's gone after seconds and you have TK'ed some dude that didn't check his map. I know it's not realistic but irø you would had a organized plan over how to defend your cache and where you had put up traps would be the first thing you told them.

Get PR-Mumble 1.0

RealityTeamwork
Himalde is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 10:17   #4
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I want no 3d markers not more, as its unrealistic atm.

Removal of the markers would require alot of skill and use of smoke to mark LZs/targets.

afaik land warrior is only being tested in the field by one battalion?

grenade traps might be an exception, but I'd prefer the FH2 method of placing a small mine sign.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 10:42   #5
rampo

Send a message via MSN to rampo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr2B Rudd View Post
I want no 3d markers not more, as its unrealistic atm.

Removal of the markers would require alot of skill and use of smoke to mark LZs/targets.

afaik land warrior is only being tested in the field by one battalion?

grenade traps might be an exception, but I'd prefer the FH2 method of placing a small mine sign.
Fully agree whit rudd there, its realy not so realistic for players to see some marker floating in the air... and if you wanna have some accurate CAS you need to use the map and possibly smoke

rampo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 15:12   #6
Drunkenup

I agree heavily with Dr2B Rudd, I believe that the dependacy on Markers is sucking us away from true gameplay, As in real life, squad leaders should be putting down smoke to mark a safe LZ, rather than giving a coordinate.
Drunkenup is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 15:31   #7
BloodBane611
Supporting Member

Butt it's damn good fun to mark an LZ with smoke. I agree that there is overdependence on markers in PR. I'm a big fan of removing all move markers on the HUD, although they should still be visible on the map.

[R-CON]creepin - "because on the internet 0=1"

BloodBane611 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 15:37   #8
Snazz
Supporting Member

If you don't want to see the HUD markers press ALT, it's that simple.
Snazz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 16:29   #9
mat552

As I recall, smoke doesn't draw if the grenade is thrown out of your view distance. Part of the reason people marking LZs with smokes rarely works.

Players might be hardcoded, but that sure doesn't seem to stop anybody from trying.

The only winning move is not to play. Insurgency, that is.
mat552 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 16:42   #10
Misho

I haven´t noticed that the smoke dosen´t draw if thrown outside of your viewdistance, I most often ask for smoke even before I´ve left the base since it takes only a couple of seconds to get there and the smoke takes about as long time to get it´s volume.

I agree on no more markers and possibly take away the existing, even thou we don´t have a way of pointing out a possition other by coordinates I hate to see when a SL spots and enemy the whole squad turns in seconds and fires all it´s got.
Misho is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
3d or hud, icons