project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
31 Mar 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2014-05-02, 23:29   #31
Midnight_o9
Supporting Member

Default Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Meh, feminism is going too far...
Industry Reacts to Star Wars Episode VII?s Lack Of Women? | set phasers to awesome
Midnight_o9 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-03, 09:28   #32
Spush
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

What the hell cares.
Spush is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-03, 10:26   #33
Pantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainlaag View Post
How can you say that? I'm not familiar with the Star Trek universe and frankly said, I simply hate that entire collection of movies but even I saw the massive discrepancies in the new Star Trek. The universe is what made Star Wars Star Wars, the movies itself were mediocre at best, with well somewhat good actors but it was the world you got immersed into that made it so great and knowing Abrams, he'll take a nice steaming dump on it and do whatever he wants.

Source: He already completely ignored the extended universe.
Well you can't please everybody. If he tried to incorporate everything that ever happened in Star Trek into the brand new reboot it would be utterly shit. Instead he chose to honor most of it, and give him self a clean break at the same time with the "alternate reality/universe" approach.

An approach which ultimately would mean the paths of young spock and young kirk wouldn't contradict earlier films / episodes, and instead of getting a paradox you get a completely different timeline all together. Meaning discrepancies are intentional, as its more of a "what if -" than "forget all the other films". Thats why old spock so heavily mentions and references the other Star Trek universe(s), and presents most of the contradictions to us.

So yeah there will be discrepancies, but it isnt film breaking. At least not to a Star Trek casual like myself.

Pantera is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-03, 12:51   #34
HunterMed
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_o9 View Post
not really... I dont really like wiener parties either, also not in movies.
Especially in movies where it is not "needed" at all. It is not like a ww2 front movie where naturally there are no or very few women to be seen.
But star wars... I'd like to see a bad ass jedi/sith whatever female character.

Last edited by HunterMed; 2014-05-03 at 13:19..
Old 2014-05-03, 13:00   #35
Brainlaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantera View Post
Well you can't please everybody. If he tried to incorporate everything that ever happened in Star Trek into the brand new reboot it would be utterly shit. Instead he chose to honor most of it, and give him self a clean break at the same time with the "alternate reality/universe" approach.

An approach which ultimately would mean the paths of young spock and young kirk wouldn't contradict earlier films / episodes, and instead of getting a paradox you get a completely different timeline all together. Meaning discrepancies are intentional, as its more of a "what if -" than "forget all the other films". Thats why old spock so heavily mentions and references the other Star Trek universe(s), and presents most of the contradictions to us.

So yeah there will be discrepancies, but it isnt film breaking. At least not to a Star Trek casual like myself.
You don't have to please everybody, it would be enough pleasing those people that actually supported those franchises through and through since the beginning and not just spit in their mouth, say thank you and go Michael Bay, don't you think?
Brainlaag is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-03, 17:01   #36
Qaiex

How is deciding not to include all of the myriads of things in the Expanded Universe, (which would severely limit what you could add or do in the new films) as official canon the same as spitting in the mouths of the fans?

Qaiex is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-03, 17:26   #37
Brainlaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaiex View Post
How is deciding not to include all of the myriads of things in the Expanded Universe, (which would severely limit what you could add or do in the new films) as official canon the same as spitting in the mouths of the fans?
Because most of the fans accept those work as established and fully embraced it, some more, others less but things like the New Republic and the Thrawn series are integral part of anyone that has anything to do with SW.

From what I recall it didn't stop Peter Jackson making mind blowing movies even tho they were already present in book form for almost a century.
Old 2014-05-03, 17:50   #38
Pantera

Quote:
You don't have to please everybody, it would be enough pleasing those people that actually supported those franchises through and through since the beginning and not just spit in their mouth, say thank you and go Michael Bay, don't you think?
You just can't please everybody! Its impossible. If they hadn't created an alternate universe, then the film wouldn't have technically been a reboot nor would it have been any good. It would have been a box office flop and everyone would have hated it. Allowing yourself creative freedom is hardly spitting in fans mouths. He could have chosen to redo a classic and mess it up!

Quote:
Because most of the fans accept those work as established and fully embraced it, some more, others less but things like the New Republic and the Thrawn series are integral part of anyone that has anything to do with SW.

From what I recall it didn't stop Peter Jackson making mind blowing movies even tho they were already present in book form for almost a century.
If the film was targeted at those fans only it would have been suicide. They brought in new audiences, i had friends who had never seen any Star Trek episodes or films, to watching both new ST reboots in cinema.

Peter Jackson done a book adaptation, that's like comparing peas to peanuts!

Pantera is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-03, 18:03   #39
Brainlaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantera View Post
Peter Jackson done a book adaptation, that's like comparing peas to peanuts!
I'd rather have Mr.Abrams do that. There are plenty to choose from and he can fuck up less.
Old 2014-05-03, 18:44   #40
karambaitos

Send a message via MSN to karambaitos

the thing with the new star trek movies is, that star trek always had an serious underlying message about something in every storyline, but with abrams the message is, to put more lens flares in.

There is only one unforgivable lie That is the lie that says, This is the end, you are the conqueror, you have achieved it and now all that remains is to build walls higher and shelter behind them. Now, the lie says, the world is safe.? The Great Khan.

40k is deep like that.
karambaitos is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
episode, spoilers, star, vii, wars