project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
22 Oct 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2021-09-29, 04:41   #11
dcm
Default Re: How you feel about a LVL system - Help new players

To OP,
Most players make new accounts all the time, for a variety of reasons. Most new players will simply say that they are new and the community will be tolerant and helpful. Where as veterans will say they are experienced and prove it through merit and competence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonTavor View Post
I really don't like these sort of systems in video games.
Depends on how it's implemented.

A classical rpg style level system, where the player character gets stronger with every increase in level, only works well in singleplayer games.

A level system tied to unlock distribution, works best for mutliplayer games and allows players to show their experience to other players.

Both are equally valid in their respective domains.

What op is suggesting is more of a cosmetic level system. Which signifies a players experience but does not reward them in any way. I like this idea. I believe the best way of implementing such an idea; is to have a player's level increase for every match won. In order to prevent people from abusing the system, victories should only count if the player has spent at least 5 minutes on the winning team. Or scored X amount of points for the winning team. Just in case they are moved to the losing team.
dcm is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-29, 07:23   #12
Unicode
PR Server License Moderator

A leveling system doesn't belong to PR, if anything we could add a total time spent playing meter and that could potentially fix the issue you brought up. But as Outlawz said, just be friendly to everyone? You can simply ask people if they're new, usually when I spot a new player and start explaining stuff to him, others join in and stick with me, it's not hard. The two biggest problems are the toxic un-welcoming community which ruins the experience for new players and the lack of a proper tutorial.
Unicode is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-29, 11:05   #13
[R-MOD]Nate.
Forum Moderator
Project Reality Beta Tester
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicode View Post
You can simply ask people if they're new, usually when I spot a new player and start explaining stuff to him, others join in and stick with me, it's not hard. The two biggest problems are the toxic un-welcoming community which ruins the experience for new players and the lack of a proper tutorial.
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=134819
Here's the most current attempt at a quick-start guide. It's probably a bit outdated and not phrased in the most welcoming way. If someone from the community wants to build up on it feel free to do so and I'll add/edit the opening post.

Can work with DEVs to get it linked in the Launcher or something.

Nate. is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-29, 11:30   #14
Coalz101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump/Gump.45 View Post
Asset whores crap on me for my infantry K/D... because they go around the map edge assuming thats how to find the enemy armor. They do it out of selfish non-teamwork preservation.
We don't assume, we know because we are just as experienced as they are in most cases (The asset whore community is pretty small if you'd ask me, so everyone knows what everyone is most likely to do). How is killing enemy armour selfish? It's the same armour that would wreck you if they didn't kill it.

Quote:
Usually rolling out there with 1 or 2 tanks, no anti-air cover with them. Leaving me with no support
One of the primary reasons tanks don't go parading straight into the frontline to help inf is to prevent getting killed by unexpected assets(AT inf and emplacements included). I personally had experiences where I tried my best to help inf instead of hunting assets and I get either lased by the inf I'm trying to kill or getting swarmed by enemy lats when all I can see within 100m of me is blue circles. Friendly inf becomes too confident when assets are supporting them and forget that they have to support the tank aswell.

Quote:
The number of rounds I played is about equal to the number of those kinds of deaths from those players not helping.
Maybe communicate information the asset squads would need in order to make sure they don't die and you will retain their support for longer.

In terms of the actual level system and new players on hand from an asset perspective. Don't it will just double the already existing 'hatred' (Not sure that's the right word but it's what I could think of right now) for new players. I can safely say I'd rather not risk sending out fresh new crew to waste assets and cost us the game just to end up with the blame at the end of the match. I need to develop some trust for them first, assets is not for everyone.

Coalz101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-07, 10:07   #15
WingWalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherscompany View Post
So basically how do you feel to the addiction of a ranking LVL system to PR so it would be dead obvious who are the new players in order to be able to be more friendlier to them?
I'm not sure the noobs would want to be identified?

Wouldn't that kind of make new players feel like they have a spot light on them and they would be afraid to try certain things.

Its amazing how long this discussion has been going on in PR. I remember posting defenses of the noobs on here because everyone would be complaining about them in the "PUBs" all the time.

That had to be over a decade ago.

Maybe the burden should go the other way, instead of putting something on the noob, put something on an experienced player that is dedicated to training the noob.

Like noob squads, but maybe a tag like a "teacher clan".

W.W.
WingWalker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-07, 11:08   #16
rogdozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate. View Post
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=134819
Here's the most current attempt at a quick-start guide. It's probably a bit outdated and not phrased in the most welcoming way. If someone from the community wants to build up on it feel free to do so and I'll add/edit the opening post.

Can work with DEVs to get it linked in the Launcher or something.
Yes please. Also would be great if there was a way to view the manual in-game through the main menu. Just so more people become aware that the manual exists.
rogdozz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-14, 16:27   #17
Iguanadjy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogdozz View Post
Yes please. Also would be great if there was a way to view the manual in-game through the main menu. Just so more people become aware that the manual exists.
That would be much needed indeed and help people to quickly double check infos directly from the main menu even when in game. Even been thinking of a mandatory tutorial that you need to go through before starting online deployment.

Supporting this game since 0.6 Never gonna give up!
Iguanadjy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-15, 04:15   #18
Grump/Gump.45

Exclamation Re: How you feel about a LVL system - Help new players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguanadjy View Post
That would be much needed indeed and help people to quickly double check infos directly from the main menu even when in game. Even been thinking of a mandatory tutorial that you need to go through before starting online deployment.
Also listing applicable skills in order of basic, simple and needed tactics. Functions of the game is half of it, people wont stay if they are dependent on somebody to teach them to improve. This way players grow. They can do their own research on these terms or use the Squad v19 and Project Reality 1.6 Teamwork playlist. Its over 25+ skill subjects, but here is the basic order I made. These skills change the dynamic of the game from just another FPS, making players, situations more lethal and scary.

-Individual Movement Techniques (IMT)
-Individual Fieldcraft
-Camouflage
-Playing Dead
-Tactical Driving
-Pre-fire
-Weapon Flow in Compressed Environments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8QT8rJXZN8&t=162s

-Combat Techniques of Fire (Grazing fire, plunging fire)
-Guerilla tactics and demonstrations
Last edited by Grump/Gump.45; 2021-10-15 at 04:27..