project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Maps
19 Aug 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2017-03-17, 17:16   #31
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: The Falklands - Map Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppeJ View Post
Because playing 15v15...
Ehhh, dunno how many times I've said this but this is one of the more infantry focused maps out there...

Each team only has around 6 to 8 jets active, can have more in extreme circumstances where none of the non-respawning ones have died and the long delayed ones have spawned but that's pretty rare. So in essance, ony one squad is in jets, with a few other players flying transport choppers and no real ground vehicles to speak of other than the Scorpion which has a 30min delayed spawn.

So really on a full 100p server, you've got 8 in jets per side, another 8 in choppers and ground logistics etc, and the other 34 players left playing infantry or w/e, so its more like 30 vs 30 minium, which is double your estimate.

Now if you compare that to something like Kashan or w/e as you have, you will actually find that the Falklands has far more boots on the ground than it. Also the ground combat area is around the same as Kashan, just the view distance is far bigger and you have to walk most of it (as they did in r/l).

Fair enough if you don't like Iron sight weapons or w/e, some people prefer it but more to the point, that is all they had back then. One could significantly reduce the view distance if you preferred but that is one of the things that makes the map, especially for the air combat side which is one of the main focal points of the map (and the real war), that and it working with the ground troops which there is no real other map, other than slightly Op Soul Rebel, that only has the Infantry with Jets and them having to work together like this does.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-17, 19:23   #32
FlyingR

Quote:
Couple it with walking 1-2km only to get bombed by planes or mortars because they don't stop coming and I think you've sort of understood why most people hates it.
I've never walked more than 2 kms in this map, most of the times I took trans (in which 99% of the times I got safely to where I wanted to go). The times I walked a lot it's if I wanted to go undetected and it worked despite having 800m view distance and the map being basically flat.

If there was something I would like to be changed in this map it would be the layout... I think it would be cool for the whole Islands to have flags in them instead of only one half of it.
FlyingR is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-17, 20:09   #33
PeppeJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Snip.
That's mostly true, 15v15 is an understatement but that's because I pulled it out of my ass and exaggerated a bit. But realisticly there's always a couple of people seemingly nothing so it's more like 25 a side. The main issue IMO though isn't the people count. It's more the fact that it feels as if you have no real impact, because no matter how much you try you're eventually going to get fucked from either Jets/Mortars or snipers and you don't really have way to play around it (cover). Sure you can say this is what happened IRL etc, but in this case IRL really isn't fun and I'm definitely not the only one feeling this way about the map.

PS. Iron Sights are the best sights.

PeppeJ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-17, 20:16   #34
DogACTUAL

Quote:
One could significantly reduce the view distance if you preferred
REEEEEEE!!! Leave my view distance alone!

If anything reduce the fog, effectively we only have around 2.2km VD because of all the fog.
(Yes i know that those islands had foggy conditions one some occasions irl, but why not give us the full glory of the 3km VD since it is the only map that has it?)

In my experience jets are mostly dogfighting because there is always at least two enemy jets in the airspace. If they get the chance to hit ground targets, most of the time noone is designating targets or calling them out.

Most pilots therefore just go for the obvious super FOBs and get shot down in the process because they were aproaching too low and flying to close, instead of diving and pulling out early.

Sometimes pilots really wreak havok on the enemy ground forces, many times because the cas squad is dominating the skies and they know how to dive properly, but mostly the situation is just like i described.
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-17, 20:57   #35
tankninja1

Falklands is really crappy for infantry. Most of the flag there is zero cover and when there is it usually isn't good enough to protect against bombs, meaning that the endless number of jets can just keep endlessly bombing away at helpless infantry. Which given the map is devoid of even grass, isn't a very hard thing to do.

tankninja1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-18, 00:06   #36
DogACTUAL

People complaining about getting mortared or rekt by jets is probably due to them staying on a known location for too long, like a super FOB. It is actually really hard to spot enemy infantry alone from a safe distance in jets, FOBs on the other hand are much easier to spot from above.

In fact when i fly cas on the map i get most kills from just bombing and strafing the FOB location without ever seeing the actual enemies. Imo on this map infantry should just build FOBs further away from the objectives and just walk more like the DEV said, if they want to avoid getting mortared or rekt by jets.

If they stay on the move they will be pretty safe from those threats. You only really need just very few people on the FOB to defend and man the emplacements, otherwise you will just give the enemy team easy kills.

However like you said an infantry squad traversing the terrain doesn't get much concealment, so they should proceed carefully and have their AR ready to provide covering fire. If the get engaged they could also call in the jets to help them out, almost noone does this though.

Imo most people play this map like any other map and don't get that they have to apply different strategies since it is a vastly different map.
Old 2017-03-18, 11:32   #37
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
People complaining about getting mortared or rekt by jets is probably due to them staying on a known location for too long, like a super FOB. It is actually really hard to spot enemy infantry alone from a safe distance in jets, FOBs on the other hand are much easier to spot from above. If they stay on the move they will be pretty safe from those threats. You only really need just very few people on the FOB to defend and man the emplacements, otherwise you will just give the enemy team easy kills.
How the hell will I stay on the move while defending goose green from the brits that come out of their main?

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-18, 13:25   #38
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
That's mostly true, 15v15 is an understatement but that's because I pulled it out of my ass and exaggerated a bit. But realisticly there's always a couple of people seemingly nothing so it's more like 25 a side. The main issue IMO though isn't the people count. It's more the fact that it feels as if you have no real impact, because no matter how much you try you're eventually going to get fucked from either Jets/Mortars or snipers and you don't really have way to play around it (cover). Sure you can say this is what happened IRL etc, but in this case IRL really isn't fun and I'm definitely not the only one feeling this way about the map.

PS. Iron Sights are the best sights.
Fair enough on some points, although I did take the count down from 34 to 30 for the few ppl screwing about, and also worth noting that most of the jets on the map, have no air to ground weapons over than cannons and only have air to air weapons, and most of the ones that have air to ground weapons, have no air to air missiles.

But I agree, it's a harsh map for infantry compared to most maps in PR, I'm hoping some changes I make in the future will help make it less harsh for infantry, the Frigate should be one of them since that will mean the Argie bombers will mostly be focused on that and not on infantry targets, with also reducing British bombers to compensate, and hopefully I will be able to do some other stuff but that depends on how much time I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingR View Post
If there was something I would like to be changed in this map it would be the layout... I think it would be cool for the whole Islands to have flags in them instead of only one half of it.
from a few pages back:
Quote:
Ye, as per what Aleksa said, the bulk of the fighting during the war was on the NE of the Falklands:

I am however considering a CNC mode which would allow for all the islands to be used but servers don't tend to run the CNC mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweedensniiperr View Post
How the hell will I stay on the move while defending goose green from the brits that come out of their main?
One of the big reasons why the GG garrison surrendered was because they were cut off from the rest of the Argentine forces, other than from small chopper reinforcements.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-18, 19:27   #39
tankninja1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
People complaining about getting mortared or rekt by jets is probably due to them staying on a known location for too long, like a super FOB. It is actually really hard to spot enemy infantry alone from a safe distance in jets, FOBs on the other hand are much easier to spot from above.
I think you underestimate how east it is to miss dark green dots on a lime green map.

tankninja1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-20, 13:20   #40
DogACTUAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweedensniiperr View Post
-snip-
Goose has enough cover with the houses, you should be pretty much safe from jets unless they manage to shoot directly inside the windows.

If you are defending an objective out in the open, don't buch up and spread out, usually you also have cover in the form of rocks.

Alternatively you might also move towards the attackers and try to flank them, but it is very riksy and leaves the flag largely undefended.

Tags
falklands, feedback, map, poxo is ghey