project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Maps
18 Mar 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2016-12-06, 03:53   #11
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: The Falklands - Map Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mully View Post
The map would definitely be more useful as a 128 player map. Right now it just feels empty on a public server. Falklands would be better served as an event style map or a more condensed version. I appreciate that the developers were able to accurately recreate the Falklands Islands, but the amount of coordination and skill needed does not suit public play on a massive scale. Should the map get another look, the developers need to think about solely focusing on the eastern half of the islands with more detail for the public servers.
The 8x8km Minimap, along with its huge 3km VD, no scopes and not much ground transport (as per the real war), can make things seem a lot bigger than they are but the ground combat area is focused into a 3km by 2km area you know? Quick comparison with Kashan:

Last edited by [R-DEV]Rhino; 2016-12-06 at 04:10..
Old 2016-12-07, 18:06   #12
Wing Walker

I really like this map.

I see a lot of potential with the massive 8km map and all the available terrain.

However I do not feel it is fully realized in its current set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
but the ground combat area is focused into a 3km by 2km area you know?
Why?

The entire West side of the map is wasted, never used, never even seen.

This should all be in play with an emphasis on INF fighting, with lots of mobility assets to facilitate all the terrain.

There defiantly needs to be a reduction of Aircraft, especially since we have Vehicle Warfare to facilitate that now.

I get that it is the best map for an air war, but it seemed to just become an assetwhore map.

When I was on it we were 1 of 2 INF squads running back and forth over the whole map (well the East side). Even dividing the SQ to be able to cover more.

So this MASSIVE map only had something like a 16v16 INF match up, and a bunch of jets, helos, and a prop, flying around bombing everything.

On a side note:

That also meant you pretty much always engaged a Sniper or Marksman, or Spotter with most INF encounters, since there was a full server and just a couple INF squads.

So I can kind of see how people might complain about the Sniper kits here.

Maybe other matches had more INF running, but not the ones I had.
Wing Walker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-07, 21:25   #13
InfantryGamer42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Walker View Post
I really like this map.

I see a lot of potential with the massive 8km map and all the available terrain.

Yeh,It is not realized because British dont have frigate(which would change combat significantly).

Quote:
Why?

This should all be in play with an emphasis on INF fighting, with lots of mobility assets to facilitate all the terrain.
I think thats complitlly wrong. Almost all land fighting during Falkland war happened on east island(ther were some rides on west island,specialy on that airfield but nothing more).All combat on map are happening in 2km2 area(a little bit bigger). If devs do what you ask,we would get more empty map,which would make this map completly unplayeble. On end,Falkland war was only INFvsINF(whit few APC) and heavy CAS support,which is really good potrayed in game(we just have lack of thet british ship).

Quote:
There defiantly needs to be a reduction of Aircraft, especially since we have Vehicle Warfare to facilitate that now.

I get that it is the best map for an air war, but it seemed to just become an assetwhore map.
Not need for thet,yes it has a bit more CAS then on other maps,but some CAS jets(on both teams) can only gun run land targets(4 planes are ASF,plus ARG get one anti ship plane) . Yes,they can make some damage,but there are not effective as bombs and rockets.Plus,whitout CAS this map whould lost its feel.

Quote:
When I was on it we were 1 of 2 INF squads running back and forth over the whole map (well the East side). Even dividing the SQ to be able to cover more.

So this MASSIVE map only had something like a 16v16 INF match up, and a bunch of jets, helos, and a prop, flying around bombing everything.
I dont get how? Is it full server or like 30vs30. Both teams(whit full server) have 30+ INF,so 5-6 INF squads,plus one CAS squad(8 guys) and trans(max 2 usually).

Quote:
On a side note:

That also meant you pretty much always engaged a Sniper or Marksman, or Spotter with most INF encounters, since there was a full server and just a couple INF squads.

Yeh,thets big problem on Falklands and Green. Sniper,marksmen and spotter can see long range,thats all.Something which standard INF cant do whit iron sight FN FAL.
InfantryGamer42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-08, 06:08   #14
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksa2000SM View Post
Quote:
I really like this map.

Yeh,It is not realized because British dont have frigate(which would change combat significantly).
Indeed, Frigate will lead to less bombing of the Infantry since the Argie bombers will be focused far more on the Frigate, as per r/l, and Brits will get fewer bombers with it again.

Quote:
Quote:
Why?

I think thats complitlly wrong. Almost all land fighting during Falkland war happened on east island(ther were some rides on west island,specialy on that airfield but nothing more).All combat on map are happening in 2km2 area(a little bit bigger). If devs do what you ask,we would get more empty map,which would make this map completly unplayeble. On end,Falkland war was only INFvsINF(whit few APC) and heavy CAS support,which is really good potrayed in game(we just have lack of thet british ship).
Ye, as per what Aleksa said, the bulk of the fighting during the war was on the NE of the Falklands:

I am however considering a CNC mode which would allow for all the islands to be used but servers don't tend to run the CNC mode.

Quote:
Quote:

Not need for thet,yes it has a bit more CAS then on other maps,but some CAS jets(on both teams) can only gun run land targets(4 planes are ASF,plus ARG get one anti ship plane) . Yes,they can make some damage,but there are not effective as bombs and rockets.Plus,whitout CAS this map whould lost its feel.
A signinifcant part of the war was fought in the air and want to portray that here. As Aleksa also said, a lot of the aircraft do not have any air to ground weapons other than cannons (and the Anti-Ship Mirage dosen't even get a cannon ).

You also need to factor in how few weapons these jets have, only two or 3 AtAM or Bombs, and much larger distances to travel back to their airbases compared to most maps, with also most aircraft being subsonic, meaning that even thou there are more jets, they are less powerful than normal PR jets.

As said above also, with the introduction of the Frigate, these jets are going to be largly focused on bombing that than anything else.

Quote:

So you want all the islands to be used, but yet you don't like that the fighting is already spread out?

Quote:
Quote:
On a side note:

Yeh,thets big problem on Falklands and Green. Sniper,marksmen and spotter can see long range,thats all.Something which standard INF cant do whit iron sight FN FAL.
As per what I said in the Goose Green thread, the Argie SSGP1 Sniper scope has been reduced from an 8x scope to a more realistic 6x scope which should help improve that a little and hoping to make a few other small changes in the future too to help balance that out, but at the end of the day, there are only two snipers and something like 4 marksman per team and both sides have equal amounts with more or less equal power and you can also supress them with your normal weapons, so while annoying, they aren't a battle changer.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-08, 13:09   #15
blayas

With the addition of the frigate, the Argentine side will see a real need to protect its anti-naval mirrage.

I think the respawn time should be a little higher for some aircraft, to allow the winning side of the first air clashes to enjoy for a slightly longer time of the aerial superiority that he achieved, punishing the adversary for a bad strategic decision.
blayas is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-08, 18:51   #16
Wing Walker

Quote:

My point was from a perspective of experiencing the map, not a historical one. Also, I meant the ideas of placing more emphasis on INF fighting, and utilizing the whole map be implemented together. I feel something could simply be done with flag capture order to have the need to move from E to W.

Not need for thet,yes it has a bit more CAS then on other maps,but some CAS jets(on both teams) can only gun run land targets(4 planes are ASF,plus ARG get one anti ship plane) . Yes,they can make some damage,but there are not effective as bombs and rockets.Plus,whitout CAS this map whould lost its feel.I personally am not too worried about the damage from them, more about all of the players on the server wanting to be in the assets rather than INF.

Yeh,thets big problem on Falklands and Green. Sniper,marksmen and spotter can see long range,thats all.Something which standard INF cant do whit iron sight FN FAL.I don't really think its a BIG problem, just seemed too common to encounter long range fire. I don't think the Sniper kit should be gotten rid of on here. Maybe the spotter and marksman optics though?

Quote:
Ye, as per what Aleksa said, the bulk of the fighting during the war was on the NE of the Falklands

I am however considering a CNC mode which would allow for all the islands to be used but servers don't tend to run the CNC mode.

I don't have a problem with historical accuracy, just I see all that terrain created and not used, and there seems to be a lot of possibilities if you took the historical facts out of it.

I like the idea of the CNC mode, but I think I've only seen a server running one of those once. Left up to the servers, there doesn't seem to be much effort for variety in the maps that are run.

So you want all the islands to be used, but yet you don't like that the fighting is already spread out?
More terrain with an emphasis on INF mobility assets. Lots of trans and helos, low respawn times, no jets at all, is more what I was thinking.

I love some of these big beautiful maps, but trying to facilitate diversity between INF and assets takes away from what could be a hardcore INF brawl.
I do wonder why there is not a co-op of this map though?

Anyway, it is still a great map, as are all the new ones. Thanks!
Wing Walker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-12, 10:24   #17
DogACTUAL

You can't enter any of the propeller planes on skirmish inf layout.
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-12, 11:53   #18
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Intended, they are objectives to destroy.

Mineral is online now Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-12, 12:08   #19
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
You can't enter any of the propeller planes on skirmish inf layout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mineral View Post
Intended, they are objectives to destroy.
Ye, as per here: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f19...falklands.html

Quote:
Skirmish 16 - Pebble Island Raid (Night)
Setting: Night
Tickets Team 1: 100
Tickets Team 2: 40
Info:
Based on the SAS Raid on Pebble Island: Raid on Pebble Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
GBs objective is to destroy the aircraft on the airfield, while Argentina tries to fight off the attackers.
Note that shooting the engine of the aircraft causes more damage than shooting the fuselage, and you can quite effectively destroy these with bullets, simulating damaging the aircraft vital systems so it cant be flown.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-12, 12:09   #20
DogACTUAL

That's interesting, having a seperate objective other then the usual stuff. I assumed something must be different about those planes since they would be totally op if used.
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
falklands, feedback, map, poxo is ghey