project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
05 Apr 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2010-02-19, 01:29   #1
Koroush47

Koroush47's Avatar
Default [?] How to reskin models?

Well I already unzipped the objects zip from mods\bf2 and I have all the .dds files..

I also have a program that makes the .dds files into targa pictures and back..

I also have photoshop.. Now how do I actually reskin them?

They are just one flat image, kinda confusing atm. Should I just change the flat pictures and put them in bf2 and see what they look like? Or is there an easier way?

Thanks for helping, I looked at many tuts... nothing really helped. And this website didn't have a tut on re skinning. Thank you for answers.

PS: Currently I'm just trying to reskin a normal mec guy from PR to look like something else... Maybe something simple.. Like changing the camo?
Koroush47 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 11:08   #2
Hauteclocque
Retired PR Developer

Hauteclocque's Avatar
Send a message via MSN to Hauteclocque
Default Re: [?] How to reskin models?

Yes, you take your _c.dds file and modify your "flat" texture, it's how we usually do it
Then you zip your object_client with the new file, and load bf2 (be careful and make a copy of your former files, otherwise you will no more be able to play in MP)

Hauteclocque is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 18:52   #3
Koroush47

Koroush47's Avatar
Default Re: [?] How to reskin models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]Hauteclocque View Post
Yes, you take your _c.dds file and modify your "flat" texture, it's how we usually do it
Then you zip your object_client with the new file, and load bf2 (be careful and make a copy of your former files, otherwise you will no more be able to play in MP)
I found an intresting way to view the models without having to zip back up and start bf2..

Just make the skin and put it in its place.. Then open the objects corresponding mesh file in a mesh viewer.

Works perfectly!
Koroush47 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 20:15   #4
Sluismaster1
Send a message via MSN to Sluismaster1
Default Re: [?] How to reskin models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroush47 View Post
I also have a program that makes the .dds files into targa pictures and back..
You should download the dds plug-in for photoshop, if I'm right it's from Nvidia.
That way you don't need to convert the textures all the time.

Sluismaster1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 20:20   #5
Koroush47

Koroush47's Avatar
Default Re: [?] How to reskin models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluismaster1 View Post
You should download the dds plug-in for photoshop, if I'm right it's from Nvidia.
That way you don't need to convert the textures all the time.
I did... But the files do not open with photoshop :\
Koroush47 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 20:21   #6
Drav
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member
Default Re: [?] How to reskin models?

I have the POE2 tools for max 9. Using the mesh importer you can open the mesh in max and apply the skin you're going to edit to it. From there you paint in photoshop and every time you save, it reloads in max. I like doing it like this because max will read .psds so you dont have to flatten layers every time you save. You can do exactly the same thing with the bf2 model editor, except you'll have to save to .dds each time.


If the .dds files dont open in PS you've done something wrong as they should do.
Drav is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 21:07   #7
Koroush47

Koroush47's Avatar
Default Re: [?] How to reskin models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Drav View Post
I have the POE2 tools for max 9. Using the mesh importer you can open the mesh in max and apply the skin you're going to edit to it. From there you paint in photoshop and every time you save, it reloads in max. I like doing it like this because max will read .psds so you dont have to flatten layers every time you save. You can do exactly the same thing with the bf2 model editor, except you'll have to save to .dds each time.


If the .dds files dont open in PS you've done something wrong as they should do.
One question.. What when skinning for a player faction... What is the difference between light and heavy player models?

Are both used in PR? Or just one? I'm talking about the basic clothes that all the kits share in common... Thanks.
Koroush47 is offline Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
models, reskin
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 16:02.