project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
04 Dec 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2012-08-22, 15:16   #1
Default Unrealistic IDF weapon loadouts

Can someone please explain to me why the IDF weapon selection is so unrealistic?

1 - In game, almost everyone who has a Tavor has the 3x mag. IRL, this is issued generally to sergeants and officers. Most don't have the 3x mag.

2 - In game, the medic and grenadier have M4A1s, when the rest of the soldiers have the Tavor. You understand of course, that no army in the world follows the FPS video game trope of "medics receiving inferior weapons to compensate for their healing powers not being OP/weapon diversity sells more than monotony/medic isn't 'soldier class' so he should receive a different weapon entirely." What nonsense. As for the M203, they have Tavors mounted with it, why wasn't that model used?

3 - Negev is mounted with an ACOG. Outside of IDF SF, all soldiers utilize the iron sights mounted on the Negev. The ACOG would be seen as wasted, since it flies in the face of IDF doctrine (using the LMG purely for suppression).

4 - Tavor with ACOG is not limited in number of players who can use it? Sorry guys, but in the IDF, not everyone gets an ACOG.

Also, the combat vest of the soldiers seems to be the Efod, which has been phased out of front-line duty
http://irvingshapiro.tripod.com/cgi-...yeret_com3.htm

infantry units use a different model
http://www.israeli-weapons.com/store...t_vests/p1.htm

Aside, very nice mod. I had a CAR-15/M4A1 with a Mepro when I was in Kfir, and I liked the model.
Last edited by 9001; 2012-08-22 at 16:11.. Reason: Left out vest
Old 2012-08-22, 15:20   #2
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: Unrealistic IDF weapon loadouts

2. This is the way PR works. Medics don't get inferior weapons. They get different ones to compensate for their importance as a medic, they shouldn't be at the front, they should be at the back for when medical assistance is needed.

All our other questions, I have no clue

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 15:52   #3
Brainlaag

1. Can't answer you on that, as I have no idea how the IDF handles that.
2. PR mentality, not really reflecting any RL setup. Also, I doubt they have a modeled version of the Tavor with the underslug 203 launcher. You have to consider ever model has to be made before put ingame. The M4 might be just a placeholder.
3. Again, I have no information on that so I can only speculate. But my best guess it's not to make it inferior to other LMGs in PR. It would be simply unfair when facing an opponent that has magnification optics, while you don't for whatever reason. Here applies the rule Gameplay > Realism.
4. I guess this is, like the previous point, not to make it too unbalanced compared the other factions.
Brainlaag is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 17:26   #4
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Hello 9001, welcome to the PR forums!

I personally have very little knowledge regarding the IDF IRL.

However I have heard tell that the reserves and regulars are armed quite differently? was the kfir a regular or reserve force?

I do remember that there was mention of some kind of unexpected shakeup of IDF infantry weapons not long ago, pretty much after the IDF weapons were finished for PR, might be some discrepancies because of that.

1) No idea, if its supposed to be different optics, I'd PM one of the Red tag or Dark blue DEVs with your credentials and/or sources etc just so we can ensure accuracy ingame.

2) the officer can choose an M4A1 also? It might be on a couple of other kits also, its not really to make the medic 'inferior' its just kinda to keep things varied a bit and highlight the unique role of the medic. I'm 99% sure the Tavor M203 hasn't been modeled yet, so the next best thing is presumably being used.

3) Cool! If correct, this just helps create a unique aspect to the IDF, I guess they would become the only regular force without a scope LMG.

4) I'm a little confused here, are you talking about the ACOG scope or the Magnified Mars scope now? Because the Marksman kit uses the ACOG and everyone else is using Mars scopes iirc ingame?

regarding teh kit geometries, I doubt they'll get redone at this point, thanks for the references though

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 17:30   #5
Doc.Pock

sources sources sources.

also welcome to the formus, and i hope this gets turned into a discussion and doesn get locked as it can get interesting.

some changes would be very nice
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 17:38   #6
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudd View Post
3) Cool! If correct, this just helps create a unique aspect to the IDF, I guess they would become the only regular force without a scope LMG.
Russia?

I THINK it has to do with some balance things, but afaik(not alot) aren't unscoped weapons not quite common in most armies? USMC, USArmy, Russia, MEC(I would assume)..?

Also it's over 9000.

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 17:40   #7
Brainlaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweedensniiperr View Post
Russia?

I THINK it has to do with some balance things, but afaik(not alot) aren't unscoped weapons not quite common in most armies? USMC, USArmy, Russia, MEC(I would assume)..?

Also it's over 9000.
The PKM has a magnification, just no scope model for it (for the RAF only OFC).
Brainlaag is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 17:51   #8
Doc.Pock

lol took me some time to figure out the RAF one

whats over 9000?
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 18:01   #9
Hotrod525

Send a message via MSN to Hotrod525

Israelian Defense Force, still widely use M4A1, they are rollin Tavor in service to what i understand, but you can't say that an M4 is inferior to a Tavor, they use the round round, got about the same ROF and the same barrel length, so overall... they are pretty much equal.

Anyway variety is never a bad thing...

Last edited by Hotrod525; 2012-08-22 at 18:08..
Old 2012-08-22, 18:06   #10
BroCop

Werent there like 2 or 3 MA's actually doing the kit loadouts for this?

BroCop is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
idf, loadouts, unrealistic, weapon