project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
29 Jul 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2017-11-30, 18:56   #801
Rezza
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Rezza
Default Re: Star Citizen [PC Game]

Took a couple of more screenshots from my recent session.

Rezza is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-30, 22:19   #802
Wicca
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Indeed it is starting to look nice, I am subscribed to BoredGamer and I am getting excited for this stuff!

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-01, 13:09   #803
doop-de-doo
Supporting Member

PTW BTW

B4TM4N
doop-de-doo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-02, 09:26   #804
Rezza
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doop-de-doo View Post
PTW BTW
What? The game is still in crowdfunding until release and if you play it there is clear distinct roles to ships. All ships will be earnable in game in this next release and CIG allows you to test them all through singleplayer earned match scores as well.

Now if you say the game might be p2w after release if they can't make enough money from selling the game at 60 dollars well nobody can tell the future but that being said it has a passionate community that backs it with so much money so they remain independent and without a publisher.

If they turn against that base they are destroyed.

Old 2017-12-02, 13:59   #805
carmikaze
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezza View Post
All ships will be earnable in game
Yeah, clearly not PTW if you can buy them and earn them. /s
carmikaze is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-02, 20:18   #806
Rezza
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmikaze View Post
Yeah, clearly not PTW if you can buy them and earn them. /s
Again shows that you don't know the game. How the ships work nor how the crowdfunding works. First off the main goal is being an independent studio and not being bought by a publisher who makes the same game every two years. Secondly to achieve this the game offers ships that will be available in the game and most of them are at this point. Many backed ships that aren't in the game yet. So it's not about getting your ship instantly but supporting the project. People have waited three years for some of the ships to come online. Thirdly with 3.0 the latest patch you can earn the ships in-game. Which is still an Alpha of the game. So currency is aUEC (Alpha UEC).

Now go get your 1000 dollar Idris Frigate and try fighting the 35 dollar Aurora. If you can even hit it you will be lucky. The game doesn't work like you imagine it does. It doesn't behave at any rate as a usual Free To Play game. It isn't. Bigger ships have a higher disadvantage towards smaller ships. Also bigger ships need more people to crew and more money to maintain. They are manned to be organisation ships that you can't efficiently man on your own. Secondarily the items on the ships are far more important than the base hull. Because when you blow up the insurance doesn't secure your items. So the more expensive of a ship you get the more people you need to fight bigger ships like yours.

But well that's the internet for you not knowing things and commenting from a safe distance is always the easier thing to do that happens. The same thing happened with the land claim issue which nobody read and just shrugged off. That being said they named it very badly too so that contributed to the issue.

Old 2017-12-04, 10:01   #807
Rezza
Supporting Member

It is the last day of the anniversary sale in which the starter packages are offered at a %50 discount once every year. If anybody is looking for a cheap basic buy in here is the link: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...y-Special-Sale

Old 2017-12-09, 02:15   #808
Rezza
Supporting Member

Angry Re: Star Citizen [PC Game]

This video is a great showcase of most that 3.0 entails.

Old 2017-12-10, 16:38   #809
Murphy

Rezza, I think part of the problem is the majority of us (non-backers) will only ever scan the topic and go with the assumed norm. "Land claim" obviously has bad connotations to it as, on the surface of the topic, it seems like people who bought in early get to claim land for their own while the rest will fight for it at a later time. I'm going to assume that is not how it works, but from what history has taught us any land grab in a game is bad. We can continue down this slope and assume that anyone who bought a spacecraft is buying into a World of Tanks/War Thunder styled premium craft/tank/airplane/vehicle. Based off of what other games have sold us we will deduce the worst scenario and roll with it until corrected. Someone might take the time to read further into the article that details a more fair system it put in place, but the majority of possible consumers will see "Early Access" and large pricetags for certain assets and instantly fall back to our initial knee-jerk reactions formed by all those P2W games.

It's hard to keep an objective view on a game that has been overly hyped for such an excruciatingly long time. I wish I had
never heard of Star Citizen, I'm already getting sick of the politics and tbh the theme has already been shoved in our face a few times (except other devs managed to complete a viable commercial product rather quickly, beating SC to the punch as far as I'm concerned).

Fanboy-ing has an opposite affect and will often drive a wedge between someone who may have been interested in the game by being too rabid and saying "you don't get it". It's a massive turn off for anyone who might not have heard of the game, people kind of take things a little more seriously when they have put thousands of dollars into a game that still isn't actually a complete product yet (seriously their development cycle feels like it's in hell, even though they give us updates).

Last edited by Murphy; 2017-12-10 at 16:41.. Reason: I cannot English worth a damn
Old 2017-12-11, 15:05   #810
Rezza
Supporting Member

I do agree with most of what you are saying but have to disagree on games beating SC to the punch. I still don't see any first person space sims out there and I do wish for it. I advocated the same for Eve Online back in 2009 but they just kept going the beaten path.

The thing about SC is that there is a wealth of information that needs to be understood before being able to have an objective opinion on the thing. The context of SC puts a lot of the usual things in the game industry at another position.

I have been following the project since 2012 and met with Chris Roberts, Erin Roberts, Sandi Gardiner and Ortwin Freyermuth. Had sincere conversations with them up to twenty minutes. While SC does look like hell in a classic publisher based gamedev concept I would actually argue it's very normal for the things they are trying to do.

The money they have for what they are pitching is not enough too. They need anywhere up to 250 million in total to get to where they want for release. Here is the truth all gamedev projects have serious problems and production delays. You just don't see that when they are working as a classic development project. Announcement and BETA on the last year.

Let's take in to account that the biggest and most expensive titles out there made by tested studios with veterans and well funded publishers still release buggy or uninspiring games. Even though many of the mechanics nor the art processes really change.

Gamedev is complicated enough even when you are keeping %50 of your game and just adjusting the other %50. Even then you have horrific releases and a huge range of bugs or game design issues plaguing the game.

Cloud Imperium Games has that but 10x. What makes it worse is that they are open. So you see the issues and you see the delays. Now that's the easy bit the real challenging bit is building an open world first person space mmo.

Most games have it hard enough to make a good singleplayer twice. CIG is designing systems and mechanics in a multiplayer environment that allows for sandbox mmo. Any other games out there that have similar systems?

Eve Online and they are no where near on the immersion. They also have more than 13 years of experience on building their experience. So no wonder Star Citizen takes time because it is magnitudes more complex than any other project out there.

It's combining the quality of a AAA singleplayer campaign with a sandbox MMO. There is a reason why nobody is doing it at this level. It's just not likely to be successful due to the amount of money it needs and the risk return on profit.

Hence crowdfunding and the dedicated people who want to make this a reality. Seeing the passion of the devs first hand and their dedication of meeting every fan and sacrificing their sleep just to attend another fan event to talk about SC for hours and hours on end makes me realise that this isn't only a dream of the backers but the creators too.

There are of course a lot of bad decisions made in the project but then again they happen in all projects. People make mistakes. You just don't see that as often when it's behind closed doors. Here you can see where things went wrong.

Outsourcing was a big mistake for example. So was the rushing of the 2.0 build. Then there was the DS scandal which CIG shouldn't even have bothered with.

But all companies have growing pains and CIG is past that. Outsourcing was a way to mitigate that during 2013-2015 but it caused production errors and about 2 million dollars were somewhat wasted there.

Currently though CIG is rocking 450 employees and are on a solid funding streak since three years. 3.0 is a huge step forward that will only increase confidence in the project because of the amount of interlinked features within.

I think with SC the question is not IF it will happen it's just when it will happen. I'll mark down 2018 as the year where Star Citizen matures as a game and finally leaves the concept/tech proof identity behind it.

Tags
chris, citizen, cryengine, game, joystick, perfect, roberts, search, space, star