project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > Project Reality News
15 Dec 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Project Reality News Project Reality news releases and announcements.

Closed Thread

Old 2015-10-11, 01:08   #51
PricelineNegotiator
Banned
Default Re: PR: ARMA 3 Development Update

Here's an idea, is there any chance we could have an event, like a community forum or something like that? Like a state of the union, only we get to exchange info? Maybe a twitch stream, or maybe an event where we have everyone load into a classroom map or something?

Just an idea.
Old 2015-10-12, 19:36   #52
titsmcgee852

Blue I like your videos but I dunno if you can really comment if you've never been a modder before, it is bloody hard work and like with any big project it's easy to lose motivation. You can't really blame the A3 devs for that. After all everything that falls under the Project Reality is and always has been a mod, and 95% of mods never see the light of day so I don't think it's fair to be so outraged.
Old 2015-10-13, 11:31   #53
Fabio Chavez

Quote:
Originally Posted by titsmcgee852 View Post
Blue I like your videos but I dunno if you can really comment if you've never been a modder before, it is bloody hard work and like with any big project it's easy to lose motivation. You can't really blame the A3 devs for that. After all everything that falls under the Project Reality is and always has been a mod, and 95% of mods never see the light of day so I don't think it's fair to be so outraged.
on one hand i agree with you but there is also a little distiction that in my opinion can be made that would lead to some reasonable criticism, its not a "personal" mod, a3 pr devs choose to stick to the name, even when that meant that the approach they choose would mean that they have to do it on their own. If you take a known name, you load peoples expectation onto yourself and aquire the attached priviledges and obligations.
Here still is no problem.

The problem is, if you cling to a name and you are serious about it (as opposed to just sticking to it for the fame or something, which im certain wasnt the motivation of anyone involved with pra3), and you realise that you are not longer willing or able to accomplish the explained goal, you either seriously try to find help in the name of the mod, or you risk loosing legitimacy or at least to be perceived as stubborn and careless (why not let someone else do PR for a3 if you no longer can do).

I think the way it went, as far as the opinion of an outside observer has any value to it,
it wasnt allways and in every moment clear which path it would take, obviously it would have been better for the mod, if the torch had been passed earlyer, but then again the pra3 devs had their reasons too and they did all the work and now its past and it all doesnt really matter anymore.

The question is if the torch will actually be passed on or if the work that has been done will be depreciated as sunk costs.

IMHO the Core PR Devs would be really great and smart if they would AT LEAST TRY to actively pursue to find a skilled successor to the pra3 devs that now left the project.

I hope that it will be communicated clear and early on if, by the official PR side the project will be abandoned for good or if there is allready some cooking started again behind the curtain... in the latter case, please dont wait until "you have something to show" to avoid redundant work by unaffiliated outsiders
Last edited by Fabio Chavez; 2015-10-13 at 11:44..
Old 2015-10-13, 17:49   #54
SavageCDN
PR Server License Moderator

Thank you for releasing the existing code, and for all the work put into it.
Closed Thread

Tags
arma, development, update